G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
masterotaku

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by masterotaku » 29 Mar 2017, 00:38

Chief is wrong there. The monitor should be in Lightboost mode (Normal mode according to the OSD) only when G-Sync is disabled. When G-Sync is enabled, it switches to ULMB.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Vega

Post by Vega » 29 Mar 2017, 04:23

So has anyone gotten a 1440p monitor to work with G-Sync+ULMB and no random flickering?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2017, 09:10

masterotaku wrote:Chief is wrong there. The monitor should be in Lightboost mode (Normal mode according to the OSD) only when G-Sync is disabled. When G-Sync is enabled, it switches to ULMB.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was kind of referring to your original instructions here:
masterotaku wrote:1- Enable 3D Vision and make sure Lightboost (not ULMB) is enabled in the desktop, using the "always" option.
2- Create a 120Hz custom resolution. I have tried 2389x1344 and 2528x1422.
3- Switch to G-Sync in the Nvidia CP without disabling 3D Vision first.
4- Now that custom resolution is locked into this G-Sync + ULMB mode (the monitor OSD will say "ULMB 120Hz").
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 29 Mar 2017, 12:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
masterotaku wrote:Chief is wrong there. The monitor should be in Lightboost mode (Normal mode according to the OSD) only when G-Sync is disabled. When G-Sync is enabled, it switches to ULMB.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was kind of referring to your original instructions here:
masterotaku wrote:1- Enable 3D Vision and make sure Lightboost (not ULMB) is enabled in the desktop, using the "always" option.
2- Create a 120Hz custom resolution. I have tried 2389x1344 and 2528x1422.
3- Switch to G-Sync in the Nvidia CP without disabling 3D Vision first.
4- Now that custom resolution is locked into this G-Sync + ULMB mode (the monitor OSD will say "ULMB 120Hz").
Ya, those are the original instructions that don't work with Win 10. The "lightboost enabled on desktop" isn't even an option with Win 10 drivers.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 29 Mar 2017, 13:29

But you also tried the +5 Vertical Total method, right? I'm now on Windows 10, I did it, and it worked just fine. I just created another custom resolution, for example.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Mar 2017, 15:32

+5 vertical total means increasing the VT by 5, not just the vertical resolution, right?

Maybe Vega missed that point.
I don't have a Gsync monitor or videocard to test or I'd help :(

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 29 Mar 2017, 16:59

Falkentyne wrote:+5 vertical total means increasing the VT by 5, not just the vertical resolution, right?
That's right. In my case, the default VT at 120Hz is 1525. I have to use 1530 to use the G-Sync+ULMB trick.

Vega

Post by Vega » 29 Mar 2017, 17:43

Correct, I used 1530 VT. G-Sync and ULMB DOES work for me, but the intermittent flickering out of sync is super annoying to me. It doesn't just happen in menu's but playing games at any FPS cap.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2017, 17:50

masterotaku wrote:
Falkentyne wrote:+5 vertical total means increasing the VT by 5, not just the vertical resolution, right?
That's right. In my case, the default VT at 120Hz is 1525. I have to use 1530 to use the G-Sync+ULMB trick.
Thanks so much for your help! We plan to experiment more with the GSYNC+ULMB tricks as soon as we procure additional monitors, and getting more tricks.
Vega wrote:Correct, I used 1530 VT. G-Sync and ULMB DOES work for me, but the intermittent flickering out of sync is super annoying to me. It doesn't just happen in menu's but playing games at any FPS cap.
It doesn't have anti-flicker logic like NVIDIA's patent yet.

Newer GSYNC+strobing has anti-flicker protection logic that's part of the NVIDIA patent, so when framerate suddenly slows down, it temporarily double-strobes (a brief double-strobe is much less annoying) in order to prevent the annoying flicker effect.

Also, try this experiment:
1. Game fps_max 105 -- about 15fps lower than limit.
2. Optional: Try NVIDIA frame cap of 112(ish)
3. VSYNC ON at 120.

Because:
-- A double framerate cap may protect you further from GSYNC-limit behavour (sudden appearance of tearing (VSYNC OFF), sudden-lag-increase effects, possible strobe flicker)
-- I believe VSYNC OFF will not look correct with combined GSYNC+strobing, so you should try to use VSYNC ON.

This is just an experiment. The experimentation of double-cap safeguard (in-game framerate limit should be lower than RTSS or NVIDIA Control Panel limit) -- it might help provide additional protection against sudden appearance of tearing artifacts during GSYNC + VSYNC OFF operation, since occasionally some frametimes (frame to frame) escapes the frame cap, especially if frametime jitter causes certain frame intervals to be become faster than the in-game framerate cap target. That would be the purpose of having a 2nd redundant framerate cap, since it may use a different algorithm to prevent frametimes (whenever that jitters) from ever becoming shorter than the cap target (e.g. fps_max 120 with frametime jitter may cause certain frametimes to be less than 1/120sec -- maybe this might explain the sudden appearance of VSYNC OFF artifacts).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Mar 2017, 18:02

Is it possible that Lightboost itself has to be "unlocked" in order for Vega's out of sync problem to not occur?
Again I have no way to test this, but Masterotaku said he was able to re-unlock the strobed mode without even having 3d glasses installed. Am I correct?

Did you (random guess out there) happen to hard power cycle the AC power to the monitor (unplug) just to throw all possibilities out the window?

Sorry if I'm being annoying. Just trying to help vega without any knowledge of what I'm talking about basically :(