Does GSYNC work with video players? [edit: yes, sometimes]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nimbulan

Re: Does GSYNC work with video players? [edit: yes, sometime

Post by nimbulan » 27 Jan 2014, 23:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:And theoretically, future gameplay recorders may record true frame-granular VFR video files, allowing perfect GSYNC playback of game video on GSYNC displays.
This is something I really hope Shadowplay supports in the future, it just depends on if the hardware encoder can support it or not.

shadman

Post by shadman » 28 Jan 2014, 00:39

Variable frame rate? I don't think it would be a problem recording, but knowing how to play it back rather would be the problem. Though, you could always record in frame-time, the same way G-Sync works and displays to the monitor. Support for VFR in not only recording applications but playback applications would need to exist though, because really its a bit of a strange and new concept. if I'm interpreting it how I think I'm reading it.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 28 Jan 2014, 00:59

shadman wrote:Variable frame rate? I don't think it would be a problem recording, but knowing how to play it back rather would be the problem. Though, you could always record in frame-time, the same way G-Sync works and displays to the monitor. Support for VFR in not only recording applications but playback applications would need to exist though, because really its a bit of a strange and new concept. if I'm interpreting it how I think I'm reading it.
VFR has been supported by the MKV container (possibly others) and H.264 for a long time, though I don't know if it's granular enough to play back raw game footage smoothly. Any video player that can play these formats back should be able to support it.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 30 Jan 2014, 03:13

Unfortunately I seem to have run into a rather unique issue with video playback with G-sync. My monitor developed a stuck pixel (approximately half brightness green subpixel in the lower middle of the screen.) For some reason, G-sync's automatic refresh behavior causes this subpixel to flicker between half brightness and full brightness. I first noticed it on the loading screens in Skyrim which despite maintaining an average framerate of approximately 31.5, trigger the automatic refreshes. With 24 fps video playback, it goes through an approximately 2 second cycle between the two brightnesses and is quite distracting.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can attempt to repair it? Even if I hadn't already voided the warranty by installing the G-sync module I doubt Asus would take it back for one pixel. I tried one of those pixel repair videos that displays single frames of primary colors rapidly for about 10 minutes and applying gentle pressure with a cloth, but neither seem to have had any effect.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 30 Jan 2014, 10:23

nimbulan wrote:Unfortunately I seem to have run into a rather unique issue with video playback with G-sync. My monitor developed a stuck pixel (approximately half brightness green subpixel in the lower middle of the screen.) For some reason, G-sync's automatic refresh behavior causes this subpixel to flicker between half brightness and full brightness. I first noticed it on the loading screens in Skyrim which despite maintaining an average framerate of approximately 31.5, trigger the automatic refreshes. With 24 fps video playback, it goes through an approximately 2 second cycle between the two brightnesses and is quite distracting.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can attempt to repair it? Even if I hadn't already voided the warranty by installing the G-sync module I doubt Asus would take it back for one pixel. I tried one of those pixel repair videos that displays single frames of primary colors rapidly for about 10 minutes and applying gentle pressure with a cloth, but neither seem to have had any effect.
Try just pushing on it with your finger. But be prepared to have a smudge you'll have to wipe off later.

About a month ago I had a pixel that suddenly went bad on one of my monitors after it was working fine for years. It would turn green on a black desktop. If I pushed on the screen with my finger it would fix itself, sometimes I had to push a couple times. Then it would randomly come back in a couple hours. This happened for almost a week but now it hasn't come back for several weeks. Hopefully yours is only temporary too.

shadman

Post by shadman » 30 Jan 2014, 15:24

Some are really persistent, others can be easy. But be careful, you are touching a panel with quite a few perfectly fine pixels you wouldn't want to damage.

Also, I believe those videos need just a little more time than 10 minutes, but again YMMV

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 30 Jan 2014, 16:09

shadman wrote:Some are really persistent, others can be easy. But be careful, you are touching a panel with quite a few perfectly fine pixels you wouldn't want to damage.

Also, I believe those videos need just a little more time than 10 minutes, but again YMMV
Yeah I might leave one running when I'm away from the computer for a couple hours so I don't give myself a seizure. I really hope I can fix it though, I've had several dead/stuck pixels in the past but this is the first one that's been noticable under normal use.