1440p Advice, XL2730/35 blur reduction. Best options?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 1440p Advice, XL2730/35 blur reduction. Best options?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 May 2017, 16:13

Falkentyne,
From my interpretations, I think this user's problem is simpler. Either pulse width or strobe crosstalk. Coexixst simply wants blur reduction and adjustability on this -- pulse width can reduce motion blur even further if you're very motion-blur-sensitive. (See LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100%, though a new article will be made about ULMB Pulse Width).

jorimt,
Thanks for pitching in your reply too!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 16 May 2017, 16:31

Thanks for the info.

I guess it is crosstalk then. Tried a few games, the lowest I can go on pulse width and maintain some brightness is 60. Didn't feel any different. Still feels like I'm seeing double when jumping around the map :(

I think I'm going to ebay it and go back to a TN panel. Just not sure which as would very much like to keep 1440p

edit: missed your replies chief, will try @100Hz
Last edited by Coexist on 16 May 2017, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 May 2017, 16:33

Also

(1) try running ULMB at a slightly lower refresh rate, such as 100Hz instead of 120Hz. That may help crosstalk on some ULMB displays.

(2) try slightly narrowing the dynamic range a little bit (not much). Try bumping your blacks about 5-10% above full black, and your whites about 5% below full white. This may dodge the tricker/slower LCD GtG combinations that create amplified strobe crosstalk effects. You will wash-out your colors LightBoost-style, but that's also one reasons why LightBoost used to do it -- to reduce strobe crosstalk. You'll definitely want to have separate picture calibration for ULMB than for non-ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 16 May 2017, 16:53

feels slightly better at 100Hz at the expense of general image clarity.
Will have another play around with settings tomorrow, but I think ebay is calling.

Thanks all for your input, much appreciate the quick responses and support.

Now any recommendations for a TN panel? :)

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 16 May 2017, 17:04

Here is an image from quake btw:

The guy behind the health pickup, there are 4 of him!

https://ibb.co/mmJ1Vk

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 May 2017, 17:26

Um....that's pretty bad........Chief?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 May 2017, 17:41

Coexist wrote:Here is an image from quake btw:

The guy behind the health pickup, there are 4 of him!

https://ibb.co/mmJ1Vk
If that's what it looks like in person, that doesn't look like crosstalk, that looks like I don't know what. Does it happen with ULMB off?

Have you tried another game?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 May 2017, 18:12

Note -- static photography isn't accurate as they can phantom-array with slower exposures. Even hand-waving an iPhone/Android to chasing the motion can capture motion artifacts more accurately. Unless that photograph shutter is a faster speed than refresh cycle (e.g. 1/240sec), the photo will usually show copies of multiple refresh cycles. So that photo is hard to interpret without knowing camera exposure length. (For a accurate capture of strobe crosstalk, we need to verify (A) camera shutter speed is much faster than one refresh cycle, or (B) if using a slow shutter, pursuiting the camera along the motion) Alternatively, I'll ask questions:

So a new question:

When you see http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk

Does it look closer to this:

(Two full-strength images in addition to faint images) (This is very abnormal)

Or closer to the below:

(One strong image, one or two faint images) (This is quite normal, IPS is usually slightly worse than this but not nearly as bad as above)

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 16 May 2017, 18:36

yes its definitely the exposure time on the camera making it look worse.

So I gave quake a go @ 144Hz no ULMB and no g-sync (minimum frame rate is about 160 anyway) and hmmm now I am very confused.
The image was more hazy and for want of a better word; blurry. BUT, once my eyes adjusted after 1-2mins playing it felt a lot easier to track players and felt sharper with less ghosting. Overall a better experience than ULMB mode.
I note the Overdrive is set to Normal when not using ULMB. Enabling ULMB turns OverDrive off.

Now I feel like with my old BenQ I had the clarity of blur reduction AND no(limited) ghosting, best of both worlds except for the washed out colours. But hey I guess that's the trade off.

UFO test without ULMB, 1 strong fuzzy image and 1 faint fuzzy image.
UFO test with ULMB, 1 strong clear image and 3 faint images.

I starting to think maybe its my eyes are just sensitive to something that this monitor is doing.
past my bed time over here and work tomorrow. Thanks again all and Chief for the input and help.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 May 2017, 19:11

Hmm you might want the Benq (Zowie) XL2735 then.
You can remove ALL Ghosting by changing the OD gain setting (AMA high is too intense by default).

But you won't have Gsync...

see here:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=200