TestUFO Display Lag Test coming! (SMTT accurate)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
NCX

Re: TestUFO Display Lag Test coming! (SMTT accurate)

Post by NCX » 27 Dec 2016, 09:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I wouldn't mind some peer reviewers, once the methods/instructions are posted, of course. Keep tuned.
I look forward to trying this! Have you asked Thomas Thiemann to test it out? http://smtt.thomasthiemann.com/impressum_en.html

His site still lists the free trial key which might still work if you want to compare:

http://smtt.thomasthiemann.com/downloads_en.html

My license still works so I don't want to be a guienea pig and try it out.

LulaNord

Post by LulaNord » 25 May 2017, 13:02

Hi...i am a new user here. I observed potential lag differentials occur between graphics cards outputs, with some cards, on some systems. To test via cloning, we should measure with the same output technology to reduce the odds of this and then you also want to measure once, then measure again with the outputs swapped, to make sure there's no lag differential changes caused by differences between the outputs.

circuit assembly
Last edited by LulaNord on 23 Jun 2017, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 13:08

LulaNord wrote:Hi...i am a new user here. I observed potential lag differentials occur between graphics cards outputs, with some cards, on some systems. To test via cloning, we should measure with the same output technology to reduce the odds of this and then you also want to measure once, then measure again with the outputs swapped, to make sure there's no lag differential changes caused by differences between the outputs.
Yes, if you do not have identical monitors, the monitor-swap is the correct method, as input lag measurements should invert itself accurately if the cloning is lagless. That said, there are caveats that apply (exact same cables -- DVI/DVI or HDMI/HDMI -- and swap on exactly the same inputs)

There's also a method to measure lag differentials -- two identical monitors connected will show differences if there is cloning-lag. Seen in either high speed video and/or a fast-shutter photograph -- with SMTT -- allowing you to measure the lag differential of cloned inputs. Same principle applies.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

q12m95

Post by q12m95 » 22 Apr 2020, 08:00

hi there!
so. where is the utility of measuring? 2017 is gone and 2018 and 2019. Now we have it: 2020. but no utility?
and. maybe anyone have the copy of smtt 2.0 (2.5.1)?
with respect.

casinco

Post by casinco » 23 Apr 2020, 03:35

Where is it?

vlkfree

Post by vlkfree » 10 May 2020, 17:23

casinco wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 03:35
Where is it?
i think it never happened

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 May 2020, 18:24

Apologies for not updating this thread.

However, a successful SMTT 2.0 clone was privately reimplemented in TestUFO. There were successful ways to avoid the 1000fps requirement of SMTT while generating duplicate latency results (for most displays). Sub-refresh latency accuracy (with a 1/1000sec camera shutter)

However, it's currently on the shelf as a beta, some big disclaimers will need to be written.

There are superior latency tests than using SMTT or TestUFO.

I suppose this should provide me an impetus to publish it (with some caveats). The problem is lag tests are a cesspool of different stopwatching methods, and is designed to be used with top notch SLR camera or top notch mirrorless camera, rather than a smartphone -- and publishing TestUFO may cheapen lag tests if people try to use untrusted smartphones with it. (Both SMTT and TestUFO Lag Test are both incompatible with portrait-mode smartphones). SMTT 2.0 requires some training to use.

Since there concern about low-quality latency tests by people unskilled in operating SMTT 2.0 -- even the existing SMTT 2.0 app is more unrelable than smartphone pursuit camera because of very demanding camera requirements. So, it has been a low-priority project lately.

However, I'm thinking of ways of adding an error-margin-verification pattern so that poor lag test photos can be discarded -- it's dependant on fast shutter + globalness camera shutter. Most smartphones have a rolling shutter which creates some problems.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

q12m95

Post by q12m95 » 25 May 2020, 08:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:24
Apologies for not updating this thread.
hi Chief!
Glad u been working on this somehow. Cuz even with the SMTT 2.0 on hands i have problems with measuring IL.

If u have time, can u explain (i believe u understand how it works), cuz i haven't found a thread or an article (maybe 'cuz of my bad english) how to measure IL with the oscilloscope. (Is we need a single or dual channel scope, how high should be the max frequency (from the materials i found it can be even lower then 1 MHz)) of scope. what type of photodiode need to use, which program and like so.

I believe if you'll make a thread called "How to measure Input Lag of monitor with an oscilloscope" it could be usefull for some people, and will make them (include me) understand what is what or at least what is the refference for measuring. Or maybe if it's available link here some article i could read.

Regards.
Last edited by q12m95 on 25 May 2020, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2020, 09:16

The TestUFO lag test is not intended to be Blur Busters’ flagship lag test but is intended to match SMTT results, and make possible a browser-based sub-refresh differential test for two mirrored monitors. It will not be easier than SMTT, which is partially why I haven’t publicly released the test.

But it matches the accuracy of SMTT, which is at least an achievement for a browser-based web test.

I'm cognizant of doffing a complicated test to the mainstream TestUFO audience, where SMTT has more targetted marketing (to experienced display reviewers with SLR cameras), polluting the world with too many useless lag numbers. Releasing a TestUFO latency test is a weapon that is carefully decided upon Blur Busters -- and we're worried about bad disposable lag numbers by people who don't even know how to use SMTT.

Blur Busters may actually launch a more accurate commercialized lag tester accessory, THEN release the TestUFO lag test afterwards with a huge red-text disclaimer.

flood

Post by flood » 25 May 2020, 11:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:24
However, I'm thinking of ways of adding an error-margin-verification pattern so that poor lag test photos can be discarded -- it's dependant on fast shutter + globalness camera shutter. Most smartphones have a rolling shutter which creates some problems.
i feel like pretty much all camera nowadays have rolling shutter.

one solution is to have the camera rolling shutter direction perpendicular to the monitor's scanout direction, and stack the monitors vertically