Few questions about ZOWIE by BenQ XL2411

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Nomotionblur

Few questions about ZOWIE by BenQ XL2411

Post by Nomotionblur » 19 Jun 2017, 17:29

Hello gentlemen I want you ask few questions about ZOWIE by BenQ XL2411 and its motion blur reduction. But first i apologize for my english it is not my mother language. So please be patient with me please.

In my country there is no BenQ XL2411Z series only non Z. Is it same monitor? Or is it something better or worse? Whats difference betwen these two? How ghosting on that monitor i read that some people had nasty ghosting. Is it defective monitor or some real problem with entire series?

Is there adjustable presets that i can setup and just switch betwen them if i need change Hz of monitor so I do not have to setup that over and over again? Can I switch off this feature easily? Is setting saved when I turn off monitor from electricity?

Do I need Strobe utility for setup monitor? Or Are there inbuild settings for setup?

And now more important i want you ask on low FPS strobing. Is there big problem with 60Hz strobing or mostly 75Hz i want get rid of motion blur on The Witcher 3(or Dark Souls III its locked on 60FPS) but i have only MSI RX 480 4GB X. So 100 and more FPS is impossible. I think i can manage +- 75FPS but question is can i get good working motion blur reduction on that refresh rate?Does it make sense to buy this monitor for that 75Hz strobing? So whats difference betwen 60 and 75 or more? I read that it is flickery or has double image or something like that I dont know what that means. Can it damaged my eyes? I sit on PC 10 hours a day mostly. If so what refresh rate is safe and more smooth if theres any? When I will be doing internet surfing or some non game activity do i have to turn off motion blur technology for sake of my eyes? Will it not interfere with anti blue light or some another monitor feature?

Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice day.

Falkentyne

Re: Few questions about ZOWIE by BenQ XL2411

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Jun 2017, 18:17

Z and non Z series of the same monitor are identical (at least when trying to use the Service Menu for making strobe adjustments); the same VT tweaks also work. Panel model (M240HW01 or M270HTN01) are identical. Non Z is Zowie rebrand. Firmwares are compatible and cross flashable (Zowie XL2720 V7 firmware will flash into Benq XL2720Z; last XL2720Z firmware was V5).

Double image below 100hz is from "Single Strobe"=off. Enabling single strobe will remove double image but cause noticeable flicker at 60hz. 75hz is more acceptable (VT 1350 tweak will work at 75hz). VT 1500 will cause an out of range error at 75hz. 50hz will double strobe only (do NOT use single strobe option at 50hz, strobe data is missing and it will refuse to strobe, and backlight current will increase by 1.8x, causing a OCP shutdown).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jun 2017, 17:46

Yes, XL2411Z and XL2411 will work with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility.

75 Hz will look much better.

And the monitor disables double-strobe at around that refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nomotionblur

Post by Nomotionblur » 21 Jun 2017, 10:32

Thank you for answers! So it is acceptable at 75Hz what does it mean? Whats that flicker? I never had CRT monitor so I dont know how it looks like. All I know is that CRT isnt very good for eyes. Can you please tell me if its damaging for eyes?

I somewhere on this forum read that single strobing can do only Z series. So you said it is also for non Z series?

Also I read that this monitor have some bug with AMA that if monitor shut down or if i change setting i must setup blur reduction again.

And today i read your post Falkentyne.
You wrote:
"The Benq Z series monitors have a very bad overdrive problem if Blur Reduction is OFF, however.
This has nothing to do with input lag, but the monitors are almost unusable with blur reduction off, because of the horrible overdrive inverse ghosting, which is WORSE than when blur reduction is on."

Do you mean that monitor has ghosting problem?
I read that this monitor is outdate and theres better monitors for that price. Theres no Displayport and freesync. And also that antiblur technology makes image dark. Is it worth only for that antiblur thing? Also a recently discovered LG 24GM77 but its only 120FPS strobing right? What you guys think?
Danke! I appreciate your help gentlemen!
Last edited by Nomotionblur on 21 Jun 2017, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jun 2017, 10:58

Nomotionblur wrote:So it is acceptable at 75Hz what does it mean? Whats that flicker?
Yes, 75Hz flicker is less severe than 60Hz flicker. It's still too much for some people though. The only way to tell is to see it for yourself.
I never had CRT monitor so I dont know how it looks like. All I know is that CRT isnt very good for eyes. Can you please tell me if its damaging for eyes?
It can be tiring on the eyes (some people get headaches), but I don't know if it's actually damaging, like permanently worsening your eyesight.

(Not to be confused with the issue of very old CRT TVs that were emitting x-rays and would really damage your eyes at close range.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2017, 14:18

Nomotionblur wrote:I read that this monitor is outdate and theres better monitors for that price. Theres no Displayport and freesync. And also that antiblur technology makes image dark. Is it worth only for that antiblur thing? Also a recently discovered LG 24GM77 but its only 120FPS strobing right?
I've been reading that users report that the 24GM77 doesn't have adjustable Blur Reduction -- reportedly, strobe crosstalk is bad and non-adjustable on the 24GM77.

There is a list of monitors with blur reduction here: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nomotionblur

Post by Nomotionblur » 22 Jun 2017, 07:29

Hello i was looking on that list but theres no suitable monitor for me and i do not want outdated lightboost. There are better antiblur technologies than that like Benqs. These monitors are expensive or cant do low FPS strobing. So I quess I will try XL2411 and I will see.
But I am still concerned what impact can flicker have on eyes. Is there some study that discusses this question?

Thank you.

bearbeardbeer

Post by bearbeardbeer » 07 Dec 2017, 12:13

RealNC wrote:
Nomotionblur wrote:So it is acceptable at 75Hz what does it mean? Whats that flicker?
Yes, 75Hz flicker is less severe than 60Hz flicker. It's still too much for some people though. The only way to tell is to see it for yourself.
I never had CRT monitor so I dont know how it looks like. All I know is that CRT isnt very good for eyes. Can you please tell me if its damaging for eyes?
It can be tiring on the eyes (some people get headaches), but I don't know if it's actually damaging, like permanently worsening your eyesight.

(Not to be confused with the issue of very old CRT TVs that were emitting x-rays and would really damage your eyes at close range.)
with 1500 vt trick 75hz or 120 hz for xl2411? i have i5 8400 and 1060 6gb so i take good fps from my pc? 75 or 120 hz more smooth ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Dec 2017, 23:08

bearbeardbeer wrote:with 1500 vt trick 75hz or 120 hz for xl2411? i have i5 8400 and 1060 6gb so i take good fps from my pc? 75 or 120 hz more smooth ?
Obviously, the higher your refresh rate and frame rate, the smoother and clearer all animations become.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.