Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by RealNC » 28 Jun 2017, 14:41

@jorimt:

Btw, I had an idea about how to get a better Fallout 4 test. The mouse wheel seems to switch between 1st person / 3rd person view, and it doesn't seem to be tied to physics. So rebinding 1st/3rd person switch to mouse1 might be a good way to get accurate results.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Jun 2017, 15:16

RealNC wrote:Yeah, it gets a bit confusing when looking up latency test results. I was under the impression that we're looking at a 10ms minimum latency between CRT and most g-sync LCDs, with a few ultra-low latency outliers that only show a difference of about 4ms (like the PG258Q).

However, considering the testing methodologies, it would seem that most are actually within 5ms, and only a couple monitors have almost CRT-level of latency (~1ms).
It depends on how you measure, but in TFTCentral's review of the PG279Q (same panel as both my XB271HU and your display), actual signal processing lag was only 0.75ms. It's the G2G transition lag that's holding back LCD panels currently. With that counted (2.5ms), however, we're still only looking at <4ms of display lag; 3.25ms to be exact, for this specific panel.

According to TFTCentral, this level of lag remains constant throughout modes and refresh rates.
RealNC wrote:@jorimt:

Btw, I had an idea about how to get a better Fallout 4 test. The mouse wheel seems to switch between 1st person / 3rd person view, and it doesn't seem to be tied to physics. So rebinding 1st/3rd person switch to mouse1 might be a good way to get accurate results.
Hmm, I did a dry run with that setting just to see how the camera would change the scene from 3rd to 1st person and back.

Optimally, I'd line myself up against a telephone pole or the like, and strafe to reveal horizontal movement across the entire screen, but since the 3rd/1st person toggle shifts camera perspective/distance so rapidly, as long as I have a relatively bright image on-screen (daytime sky) with a singular vertical object extending from top to bottom (telephone pole), it may work.

I only hover in the 80's near the home base at max settings, so it could be a good place to test MPRF and uncapped vs. framerate limiters, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, something to keep in mind for future testing.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

parini

Post by parini » 29 Jun 2017, 00:11

So I'm kind of noob on the subject gsync so much I bought a monitor and I'm hoping to get it and I would like to know how gsync works, I use a 144hz 1ms monitor here and when I activate vsync with it the mouse gets slow if I activate the Vsync with gsync the mouse will get slow?
And give me an idela configuration also for 144hz gsync 1ms.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Jun 2017, 02:47

parini wrote:So I'm kind of noob on the subject gsync so much I bought a monitor and I'm hoping to get it and I would like to know how gsync works, I use a 144hz 1ms monitor here and when I activate vsync with it the mouse gets slow if I activate the Vsync with gsync the mouse will get slow?
With g-sync, if you cap your frame rate like the article mentions (3FPS below max refresh), your input lag is going to be exactly the same as with vsync off at the same frame rate.

To test with your current monitor, disable vsync, cap your frame rate to 141FPS with RTSS, and play a game. The input lag you get is the same as what you will get with g-sync. The difference is that with g-sync there won't be any tearing and also no micro-stutter.

PC Per has a nice video about how g-sync works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhLYYYvFp9A

The explanation is very accurate.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mds83

Post by mds83 » 29 Jun 2017, 09:09

For 60fps capped games/emulators, does capping fps to 60 reduce input lag more than 141 on a 144hz monitor?

Also, if I use the GSYNC + ULMB trick, does the GSYNC "Optimal Settings" still apply?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Jun 2017, 09:35

parini wrote:So I'm kind of noob on the subject gsync so much I bought a monitor and I'm hoping to get it and I would like to know how gsync works, I use a 144hz 1ms monitor here and when I activate vsync with it the mouse gets slow if I activate the Vsync with gsync the mouse will get slow?
If you want the short answer, the ideal configuration for G-SYNC is in the third part of my G-SYNC 101 series:
Optimal G-SYNC Settings*
*Settings tested with a single G-SYNC display on a single desktop GPU system; specific DSR, SLI, and multi-monitor behaviors, as well as laptop G-SYNC implementation, may vary.

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
Set up G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC for full screen mode.
Manage 3D settings > Vertical sync > On.

In-game Settings:
Use “Fullscreen” or “Exclusive Fullscreen” mode (some games do not offer this option, or label borderless windowed as fullscreen).
Disable all available “Vertical Sync,” “V-SYNC” and “Triple Buffering” options.
If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is available, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
Set 3 FPS limit below display’s maximum refresh rate (57 FPS @60Hz, 97 FPS @100Hz, 117 FPS @120Hz, 141 FPS @144Hz, etc).

RTSS Settings:
If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is not available and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
Set 3 FPS limit below display’s maximum refresh rate (see G-SYNC 101: External FPS Limiters HOWTO).
If you want the long answer, read my entire series here:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/

The video RealNC linked is directly from the source, and is also a great primer on G-SYNC vs. other syncing methods.
mds83 wrote:For 60fps capped games/emulators, does capping fps to 60 reduce input lag more than 141 on a 144hz monitor?

Also, as someone who mostly uses ULMB, does any info in this thread have any use to me? As I understand, to use ULMB optimally, your frame rate must hit refresh rate so you can't just cap -3fps below refresh correct?
I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but 60 FPS @144Hz G-SYNC will always have less input lag than 60 FPS @60HZ, G-SYNC or no G-SYNC. 141 FPS @144Hz will always be better/lower lag than 60 FPS @144Hz due to higher framerate and lower frametimes (frames render faster, and thus deliver faster).

As for ULMB, you can't currently use G-SYNC with it out of the box, and this thread and my article don't cover the subject. Instead, you must use either standalone V-SYNC, Fast Sync, or V-SYNC OFF.

For standalone V-SYNC, you don't need to cap more than 1 frame below the refresh rate. The optimal way to do this is via RealNC's post here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=232

For Fast Sync, you leave it uncapped, and let as many frames render as possible.

For V-SYNC OFF + ULMB, I've never used that configuration, so I don't have much advice to offer.

We will be covering more about strobing/ULMB in the future on blurbusters.com however.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

parini

Post by parini » 29 Jun 2017, 10:57

Why is it necessary to activate vsync in the panel of nvidia this will not cause inputlag?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Jun 2017, 12:47

@parini

I spent a two months of testing and creating explanations and graphs to answer this question, so forgive me if I don't go into extreme detail in this post. Please read my article for a complete explanation:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/

That said, the short answer to your question is, paired with G-SYNC, the V-SYNC setting IS NOT V-SYNC. It is simply a poor label for a G-SYNC functionality that ensures that only a single, complete frame is displayed at a time.

The only "lag" G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" adds is the prevention of tearing at all times. If you want less input lag, you're asking it to periodically tear. This is what G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" will give you.

E.g....

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" = Adaptive G-SYNC: will sync with the display when possible, but can tear either partially or fully.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" = True G-SYNC: will always sync with the display, and never tear.

parini

Post by parini » 29 Jun 2017, 12:49

More the movement of the character will not get heavy activating gsync with vsync is because I play a lot of fps and in the monitor I have that it is a vg248qe when active vsync the movement gets very zapped.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Jun 2017, 13:03

@parini

Let me make this simple for you. Use these settings:

-G-SYNC Enabled
-V-SYNC "On" in the Nvidia Control Panel
-V-SYNC "Off" in the game
-A 3 FPS limit below your refresh rate (if you have a 144Hz monitor, you would set the FPS limiter to 141 FPS, etc) with the in-game FPS limiter, or, if a in-game limiter isn't available, use RTSS.

Use the above settings, and you will have no V-SYNC input lag, and the input lag with this configuration will be virtually the same as V-SYNC OFF at the same framerate.