[G-SYNC Kit] WARNING! Be careful with brown clip/blue ribbon

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [G-SYNC Kit] WARNING! Be careful with brown clip/blue ri

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 22:16

Useful diagram:

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fredferrell

Post by fredferrell » 21 Jan 2014, 13:51

I ordered mine yesterday and can take the requested pictures if they are still needed.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2014, 14:09

fredferrell wrote:I ordered mine yesterday and can take the requested pictures if they are still needed.
Yes -- so far, they are still needed -- to show the step by step sequence of how the connector looks like before & after sliding, and before & after flipup. The first member(s) to post good sequence photos will save trouble for other forum reader(s) that reads this thread before installing their DIY kit.

Bonus points if certain photos are from the same angle, so I can create a slow time lapse GIF animation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

frankzotynia10

Post by frankzotynia10 » 22 Jan 2014, 14:45

just an update for people who messed up their connector like me. Nvidia is advancing me a new board today. i'm glad to see they are helping me out with my problem.

EDIT: 1/25/13 - nvidia overnighted (not necessary but very appreciated :D )me a new board and the install went perfectly with these new instructions. thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by frankzotynia10 on 25 Jan 2014, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 23 Jan 2014, 17:54

Thank you for the heads up regarding this connector. I installed my G-Sync upgrade kit today and it was fairly easy unlocking this connector since this info was made available beforehand. Pushing the pointy end of the plastic shim into the guide holes on the brown clip did the trick. The connector then popped up by itself, so no force or hardly any is needed to lift it up.

While I didn't run into any problems here, I actually snapped the tiny locking clasp found on the white power connector. Thankfully, the power cable fits snugly anyway.

I didn't have a camera handy so, regretfully, I couldn't take any pics. I honestly don't think pics are necessary in order to explain this step, though. It's just that Nvidia must update their manual and video guide, stating explicitly that the connector must be unlocked horizontally before it lifts up. Here's a simple guide I made from Nvidia's provided pics if it might be useful:

ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

fredferrell

Post by fredferrell » 25 Jan 2014, 03:09

I got my card earlier today and will be installing it tomorrow. I will make sure to get the pics.

Ch0b0

Post by Ch0b0 » 02 Feb 2014, 14:42

I'm thinking I should probably get a replacement with my board if you are having good luck with their support staff. Here's a pic of what my connector looks like now. http://imgur.com/TqWEcNb It still works, but it is discomforting. I noticed that the metallic tape is already starting to come off. :(

UPDATE: I got a replacement board overnight as well. One thing that helped me the second time around was unlatching the connector before placing the board into the metal cage.

ZmillA

Post by ZmillA » 06 Feb 2014, 12:48

I was able to slide in the cable without lifting up the terminal. I'm not convinced the terminal on my board even lifts up. The terminal in the youtube walkthrough looks different than mine

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 18 Feb 2014, 17:18

As an EE, I can tell you this is a terrible connector to have chosen for this design. There are other ribbon connections available that serve the same purpose and would not be nearly as fragile. There is a similar type with a metal snap-down as well as a vertical connector.

Alternatively, they could have supplied a clip-on connector for the ribbon itself that would pop on to pins on the board. This would be the best option, IMO.

Cost would be the only reason to use the brown connector.

annisman

Post by annisman » 18 Feb 2014, 20:08

I can't believe they don't instruct you to unlatch it before you insert the new PCB, the hard part isn't putting the cable back in, but releasing the brown clip first.