Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Aug 2017, 17:55

gimmejokers wrote:can someone tell me if "Flicker Free" is turned off when activating MR for the monitor? thx!
You mean MBR (Motion Blur Reduction)?

By definition, strobe backlights equals (a better kind) of PWM.

In a roundabout way, strobe backlights are simply "precision refresh-cycle-synchronized 1-flash-per-refresh PWM designed to eliminate LCD motion blur".

So without needing to find out, anything you turn on a strobe backlight on any desktop gaming LCD monitor, means you're no longer ZeroFlicker/FlickerFree/PWM-free during that mode.

If you get eyestrain from Motion Blur Reduction, then that's certainly a Catch-22. Some people are bothered by any type of PWM. Other people are bothered only by unsynchronized or multiple-strobe PWM (e.g. PWM dimming or double strobing, etc) but aren't bothered by blur reduction (1 flash per frame / refresh cycle).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gimmejokers

Post by gimmejokers » 02 Aug 2017, 08:30

yes, i meant MBR. thank you very much for enlightening the uninformed mind again :)
got a b-stock for 410€ (490€ for new one in Germany) so I ordered this monitor now and very excited to check everything out

RPGWiZaRD

Post by RPGWiZaRD » 03 Aug 2017, 16:20

Does anyone know if using the S-switch if you can set one profile to use BenQ Blur Reduction with 144Hz and one profile with 240Hz Freesync? Would love to be able to switch between the two modes depending on game. Or does the s-switch ignore service menu completely?

I'm debating on picking up a RX Vega card possibly so. (right now GTX 970 so can't use Freesync to begin with).

kaya33

Post by kaya33 » 15 Aug 2017, 18:40

how do i disable the service menu? and would the bbr i have enabled through it stay enabled if power off / change gaming profile ex. fps 1 --> fps 2

has anyone with this monitor figured out how to fix the colours? i tried to emulate the settings on my xl2411 and used the same icc profile but couldnt quite get there, it remained a few shades lighter no matter what i did (even setting contrast / brightness to 0)

having a hard time setting it up for overwatch, where previously i would just raise digital vibrance to 68% in nvidia cp and have brightness on 38 contrast 33 and i was good, no complaints about visibility

i cant seem to reproduce the darkness of the screen / vivid colours that i had on xl2411 e.g. im having a hard time tracking targets in ow cus they basically become the same colour as the wall, played around with contrast and brightness and onboard vibrance / nvidia vibrance and having no luck

sorry for poorly articulated post would appreciate any help (especially disabling the service menu lol)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Aug 2017, 22:04

I dont know how the presets work on this monitor, but in the XL2720Z, blur reduction was part of the OSD settings, and would be saved in a profile. The service menu however now controls blur reduction, so it stays on or off regardless of AC power to the monitor, from the service menu setting. The OD Gain (Overdrive gain) setting that is part of the factory menu is also something you really SHOULD be using, as it GREATLY improves the overdrive (look back in the thread for pictures for proof), however the OD gain setting is not persistent and will revert on a simple resolution, refresh rate or OSD profile preset switching. And why do you want to disable the service menu? It's not like it remains up. I keep mine unlocked (on the much older Z monitor). Just turning off the monitor or unplugging it disables the service menu. but due to the importance of the "OD Gain" setting, you should at least have the factory menu (aka service menu #2) unlocked to improve the atrocious ghosting.

kaya33

Post by kaya33 » 16 Aug 2017, 00:16

Falkentyne wrote:I dont know how the presets work on this monitor, but in the XL2720Z, blur reduction was part of the OSD settings, and would be saved in a profile. The service menu however now controls blur reduction, so it stays on or off regardless of AC power to the monitor, from the service menu setting. The OD Gain (Overdrive gain) setting that is part of the factory menu is also something you really SHOULD be using, as it GREATLY improves the overdrive (look back in the thread for pictures for proof), however the OD gain setting is not persistent and will revert on a simple resolution, refresh rate or OSD profile preset switching. And why do you want to disable the service menu? It's not like it remains up. I keep mine unlocked (on the much older Z monitor). Just turning off the monitor or unplugging it disables the service menu. but due to the importance of the "OD Gain" setting, you should at least have the factory menu (aka service menu #2) unlocked to improve the atrocious ghosting.
ah thank you. by disable i meant, how would i make it so i could access the normal menu again to adjust brightness / contrast etc as it used the same button as the one pressed to enter service menu, it's all good now figured it out.

still playing with the colours though

do you know how to access service menu 2? and that really sucks considering i play a game in 1280 x 720, i guess based on what you have said that i would have to apply OD gain settings everytime i launch the game? (if its worth it i could deal with that)

--

just going to add for anyone interested, 240 hz is nice and regardless of what anyone else has said, is in my opinion quite an obvious change from 144 - similar to going down to 100 or something from 144, its not life changing but clear as day

on an old arena fps i play (warsow) the difference between 144 and 240 is barely noticeable, maybe due to picmip and drawflat (super low gphx)

on overwatch the difference is quite obvious, but nothing to cry about, im actually considering returning the xl2450 if i dont manage to reach acceptable colour production, im sure its possible but it has never taken me this long or been this much of a pain before. (saying that i have only gone through 5 different 144hz monitors in the last 5 years)

edit: just searched the thread for 'od' 'overdrive' 'od gain' and i must be retarded but i cant find any post on how to access service menu #2 or how to tweak the od gain setting or .. well, could anybody help me out here? thanks!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Aug 2017, 20:29

To access service menu #2, you do the exact same thing as you do to access service menu#1, except you hold button 3 and 4 simultaneously when powering on, instead of just button #4.

Button #5 opens the factory menu after doing this. (button #4 would open the service menu if you did the service menu trick, yes the same button you hold down originally would open it).

I do NOT know if it's possible to have both the service menu and factory menu available at the same time. It was not possible on previous monitors (only one or the other). This can be a problem if you are needing to actively adjust the Intensity and Area for your desired refresh rate and then want to adjust Overdrive Gain.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try using Soft MCCS And see if one of the values there correspond to OD Gain (usually it's something bizarre like Trapezoid or Parallelogram or something silly), or if not, see if you can give command via the command line to the monitor. I was never able to get command lines to work, like the simple VCP command to change contrast, I had no way to even send the command (not talking about using the sliders in softMCCS, but sending a VCP command directly) :/

davidjo

Post by davidjo » 02 Sep 2017, 23:09

just wondering what everyones colour settings are

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Sep 2017, 05:13

SRGB

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Sep 2017, 21:09

Can someone please save a copy of STANDARD MODE into S-switch profile 2 or 3 (Gamer Preset 2 or Gamer Preset 3, if the S-switch profiles still correspond to these), and then RECALL the mode with the S-switch and please tell me if the colors change?

Pay very close attention to TEAL, CYAN, BLUE, Light blue, green, and brown shades.