I don't think my desired monitor exist.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheNicOfTime

I don't think my desired monitor exist.

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 09:53

I recently purchased this monitor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I0 ... UTF8&psc=1 and was really liking it. However, after having it for awhile I began to notice that there was some bad motion blur in some games at 144hz. So after looking around I learned that the monitor should have a mode called ULMB that would fix or at least help with this issue but for some reason this model does not have that option even though it seems like all Gsync monitors should. I ended up returning the monitor due to not wanting to deal with the motion blur and am now in the market for a new monitor. I would like something similar to the monitor I had but here are the specs I want in roughly priority order.

Specs:
144hz
27"
Curved
Gsync

So can anyone recommend a monitor with similar specs to the Acer Predator Z271 I had previously at a similar price. After looking around myself it seems that everything is FreeSync instead of Gsync and most are not curved which I really liked about the Acer. Thanks for the help.

masterotaku

Re: I don't think my desired monitor exist.

Post by masterotaku » 16 Aug 2017, 11:44

If you remove your curved requirement, you have plenty to choose. I have the Asus PG278QR and it's the best monitor I have ever had. It's 27", 165Hz (for ULMB+G-Sync, it can reach 125Hz with custom timings, instead of just up to 120Hz), TN, 2560x1440 and with G-Sync. It has good overdrive quality for strobed and non strobed modes, and it's the best monitor for 3D Vision 2 in my opinion (although Lighboost for 3D use doesn't have a strobe length option, sadly).

If someone here has some of the 144Hz AHVA monitors, please leave your comment.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

TheNicOfTime

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 11:50

Curved is not a must. I don't plan on ever playing games in 3D but I suppose thats a nice feature to have. Also I have heard different things about the panel types and it seems like IPS>VA>TN but I'm guessing its not so black and white. The monitor I had previously was a VA panel and it had really bad ghosting in games with floating health bars like League of legends. Do you notice any ghosting with your monitor and if you don't mind me asking what kind of games do you play?

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 12:13

You don't need ULMB to eliminate bad motion blur or ghosting. Nonetheless ULMB comes standard with such monitors. The monitor you linked to has a response time of 4ms and yet doesn't even appear to be IPS. From what I understand this should be largely involved in the ghosting you're seeing. 1ms response time on more recent TN monitors is the norm. Did you really spend $550 on that monitor? If you did, that opens up room.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB252Q-bmip ... 01MR6SPAI/

Click on full hd at 27 inches. There's the monitor closest to what you had. Response time down to 1 ms and it's also overclockable to 180hz. $500. From what I've seen forget about curved at this size. Not something I've encountered.

Click on 240hz. 24.5 inches, $530. I have the 27-inch version of that one but it costs around $680. I also have the Asus 278QR (TN 1 ms response time, you might want to avoid IPS and the higher response times if you're really bothered by ghosting and blur), which I'm looking to sell by the way (for $400-450). Currently the 278QR sits at $600 on Amazon. I play Overwatch mostly and prefer the higher refresh rate monitor despite the lower resolution.

TheNicOfTime

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 12:21

@Darzo thanks for the reply I was actually looking at the monitor you linked though at the 1440p version
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB252Q-bmip ... QIYW/?th=1
so I may end up going with that one. Also you asked if I really spent $550 on that monitor is that because you think it was overpriced or just that being in that price range gives you a lot of options? thanks again

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 16 Aug 2017, 12:32

TheNicOfTime wrote:Do you notice any ghosting with your monitor and if you don't mind me asking what kind of games do you play?
I have a good eye for ghosting, overdrive artifacts and motion blur, so I can notice them even if they are little. In this case, ghosting during games is minimal, although sometimes there can be a faint vertical scanlines pattern in movement (more noticeable in 3D than in 2D, but small enough to almost not matter).

Here's a testufo picture, around the middle of the monitor at 960px/s, with ULMB pulse width at 35 (ignore the bright vertical stripes, that's because of my camera synchronizing with the strobing. Also sorry for the blurriness of the picture. In real life the UFOs were totally clear):

I play multiple genres, but 99% of them are single player. Fighting, FPS, RPG (action or turn based), 3rd person shooters, horror, platformers... To put it simple, I avoid MOBAs, MMOs, strategy and sports games.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

TheNicOfTime

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 12:55

@masterotaku so is this the monitor you are using https://www.amazon.com/PG278QR-G-SYNC-G ... B01N4ENDXR I noticed when i search amazon there are 2 monitors with the same name but one is $599 and the other is $799?

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 13:00

The other one is the pg279q, which is IPS with a higher response time or more issues with ghosting and blurring.

TheNicOfTime

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 13:04

ah ok it seems like the only benefit of IPS is better colors and a lighter wallet.

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 13:07

TheNicOfTime wrote:@Darzo thanks for the reply I was actually looking at the monitor you linked though at the 1440p version
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB252Q-bmip ... QIYW/?th=1
so I may end up going with that one. Also you asked if I really spent $550 on that monitor is that because you think it was overpriced or just that being in that price range gives you a lot of options? thanks again
Yea, you can get screwed over by technology prices. They don't behave logically, or rather the people responsible for setting them. A few years ago I initially bought a used gtx 770 that cost a little more than a brand new gtx 970 ftw and it wasn't like this was just one person setting an exorbitant price. Anyway, yes, the monitor you got is currently not worth $550, in actual value anyway.

The 1440 monitor you link to is the Acer equivalent to the Asus pg278qr the other poster is talking about. I don't want to be overly aggressive but I can sell you my pg278qr for $400 as it's a waste for me to keep alongside the Acer 27-inch 240hz monitor I have. I've essentially used it for only a few months. But that's up to you.

IPS monitors also have better viewing angles, by the way, but unless you have someone watching beside you that's easy to forgo.