G-Sync Impressions

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TheExodu5

G-Sync Impressions

Post by TheExodu5 » 31 Jan 2014, 21:25

Some early impressions.

Installation: Easy enough, though the NVidia video should probably be updated to say that the brown flap for the ribbon cable should not be lifted...I almost damaged my board my trying to do so.

So far, it's everything I've hoped. The ability to play with a variable framerate without worrying about judder is great. Still, though, a constant framerate is definitely preferred as going from 40-80fps from one scene to the next is still pretty obvious. By far the biggest improvement is the total elimination of input lag. Counter-Strike GO runs absolutely perfectly with no input lag and no tearing...what a dream. Some games that were previously unplayable are now a joy, in particular Super Hexagon and Street Fighter IV.

I have noticed a few issues. I'm losing a few pixels at the top of my display for some reason...some very mild overscan. I do miss an OSD as the monitor is really bright. Metro 2033 had some really awful judder in places...probably just an engine thing but I'm not sure if it was brought on by GSync or not yet.

Anyways, those are my early impressions. I'll make sure to post more as I have more time to play around with it. I'm really excited to see the results with SNES emulation.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync Impressions

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2014, 22:06

TheExodu5 wrote:Some early impressions.
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your impressions!
TheExodu5 wrote:I do miss an OSD as the monitor is really bright.
You can adjust the monitor brightness using the buttons on the bottom of the VG248QE.
Are you able to use the buttons? And does the ULMB button work?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 01 Feb 2014, 20:43

TheExodu5 wrote:I'm losing a few pixels at the top of my display for some reason...some very mild overscan.
Is that a consistent problem? I had it happen once when quitting one of those games that flickers the monitor several times when switching in and out of fullscreen, but restarting the monitor fixed it.

TheExodu5

Post by TheExodu5 » 09 Feb 2014, 10:01

Yeah the overscan issue seems to be gone.

I'll say one thing I'm really appreciating is the fact that the monitor turns on in less than 1 second without the NVidia board since it skips the Asus logo.

Tried a few more games. Payday 2 sadly still has input lag...that seems to be an issue with the engine. The Witcher 2 also still has some stuttering, though the constant judder is finally gone with GSync!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 09 Feb 2014, 12:53

TheExodu5 wrote:Yeah the overscan issue seems to be gone.

I'll say one thing I'm really appreciating is the fact that the monitor turns on in less than 1 second without the NVidia board since it skips the Asus logo.

Tried a few more games. Payday 2 sadly still has input lag...that seems to be an issue with the engine. The Witcher 2 also still has some stuttering, though the constant judder is finally gone with GSync!
I'm also enjoying the instant turn on too. Before the upgrade windows would reach the login screen before my monitor was on.

It is a little buggy though, when I turn mine on the no-input notice comes on even after there is input and it is displaying it. But I just have to press a button on the monitor for it to go away.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 09 Feb 2014, 13:15

sharknice wrote:It is a little buggy though, when I turn mine on the no-input notice comes on even after there is input and it is displaying it. But I just have to press a button on the monitor for it to go away.
I had that happen once by moving the mouse at the exact moment when Windows was turning the displays off. I also had the whole screen shift down by about 10 pixels when quitting a game but was quickly solved by turning the monitor off and on again. I feel like these are side affects of the almost instantaneous video signal syncing (along with the rainbow flash when initializing G-sync mode.) There's little room for error correction when processing that fast.