Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
YukonTrooper
Posts: 18
Joined: 06 Feb 2014, 23:24

Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by YukonTrooper » 09 Feb 2014, 00:56

For any G-Sync users that want an .icc profile, here you go. Calibration is for 90cd/m2 @ 100Hz via ColorMunki Display. You can use the profile with other brightness/contrast settings than below, but the result won't be as accurate (especially contrast adjustments). I'll make sure to add a 144Hz profile as well, but if you want a specific light output then let me know.

Image

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7489
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 01:55

YukonTrooper wrote:For any G-Sync users that want an .icc profile, here you go. Calibration is for 90cd/m2 @ 100Hz via ColorMunki Display. You can use the profile with other brightness/contrast settings than below, but the result won't be as accurate (especially contrast adjustments). I'll make sure to add a 144Hz profile as well, but if you want a specific light output then let me know.
Thanks for doing this!
The 144Hz would be useful. 100Hz has better color than 120Hz and 144Hz, so this might be a good surfing .icc profile.

I wish there was a much easier way to automatically switch .icc files everytime the refresh rate changes. I think this is something that is possible to do programmatically, creating a utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

annisman
Posts: 17
Joined: 09 Feb 2014, 21:28

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by annisman » 09 Feb 2014, 21:30

Yes, please provide us with a 144hz calibrated icc profile ! Much thanks !

spacediver
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 23:51

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by spacediver » 10 Feb 2014, 02:10

I don't understand how you guys claim to be using icc profiles. How exactly are you "implementing" them?

orik
Posts: 10
Joined: 22 Jan 2014, 02:31

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by orik » 10 Feb 2014, 02:17

spacediver wrote:I don't understand how you guys claim to be using icc profiles. How exactly are you "implementing" them?

In Windows? Screen Resolution -> Advance Display Settings -> Colour Management

spacediver
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 23:51

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by spacediver » 10 Feb 2014, 02:44

Ok, but there are a couple things.

ICC profiles characterize a display. You need a color aware application such as adobe lightroom that uses that profile to remap the colors of the display into a desired mapping. ICC profiles generally do not contain information that instructs a display how to render colors.

The exception to this is the recently introduced VCGT tag (video card graphics table), which is essentially a 1 D LUT (look up table). With this, you can alter the gamma and white balance of the display, but as far as I'm aware, you need an application to load in the information in this tag (not to mention that the creation of the ICC profile will have to include this tag). I don't think windows does it by itself (though I could be wrong).

The way to test for sure is to load in your ICC profile and see whether the colors actually do change on your display. You should be able to notice immediately.

ZmillA
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 18:58

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by ZmillA » 10 Feb 2014, 18:09

What does this do? Does it make the picture look better on the monitor?

If this gives any improvement I want to use it, just looking for some more info is all.

spacediver
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 23:51

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by spacediver » 10 Feb 2014, 18:59

So, has anyone actually been able to "load in" an ICC profile and see an immediate noticeable difference?

PiERiT
Posts: 34
Joined: 22 Dec 2013, 11:04

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by PiERiT » 10 Feb 2014, 19:58

spacediver wrote:So, has anyone actually been able to "load in" an ICC profile and see an immediate noticeable difference?
I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.

My worry is that some games don't support it, and I've no way of knowing when they don't.

spacediver
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 23:51

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by spacediver » 10 Feb 2014, 20:01

PiERiT wrote:
I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.
Did the colors change immediately? Or did you reboot, and then think you saw a slight difference?
PiERiT wrote:
My worry is that some games don't support it, and I've no way of knowing when they don't.
No games, as far as I know, support color management. They will, however, use the 1d LUT info, so long as they don't overwrite it.

Post Reply