Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PiERiT

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

Post by PiERiT » 10 Feb 2014, 20:03

spacediver wrote:
PiERiT wrote:
I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.
Did the colors change immediately? Or did you reboot, and then think you saw a slight difference?

I loaded the ICC in Windows via the method previously mentioned (mentioned in the article as well), and it was immediately noticeable without a reboot.

I then captured those settings with Monitor Calibration Wizard, and I can toggle it on and off. There's quite a big difference from the stock settings.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 10 Feb 2014, 20:26

yes monitor calibration wizard will actually load in a 1D LUT.

Good to know that windows loads it in too.

Be aware that this is just 1D LUT stuff, not color management. So your primaries are stuck where they are. But white balance and gamma can certainly be tweaked this way.

And so long as the person who created this LUT did so on a display that was very close to yours, then you'll achieve the same goals that they did.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 13 Feb 2014, 13:32

PiERiT wrote:
spacediver wrote:So, has anyone actually been able to "load in" an ICC profile and see an immediate noticeable difference?
I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.

My worry is that some games don't support it, and I've no way of knowing when they don't.
I've been using their nVidia profile at 120Hz which provides very good gamma but their color settings seemed a bit off to me so I'm using the values from the Toms Hardware review: 95, 92, 88 with 80 contrast.

The issue with games is that an almost universal Direct3D call resets the display gamma in fullscreen mode. Even more annoying is that some games actually change the desktop gamma so you have to reload your ICC profile after you quit. It's pretty easy to tell most of the time when you start a game up and the colors are washed out but a lot of them have gamma adjustment or brightness adjustment which is actually gamma. Then there's the unfortunate case of Europa Universalis 4 which has a slider labelled gamma which is actually brightness. I need to see if I can get them to fix that.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 13 Feb 2014, 20:04

apparently there's a workaround for the fullscreen issue - something called borderless windowed or something like that.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 13 Feb 2014, 20:12

spacediver wrote:apparently there's a workaround for the fullscreen issue - something called borderless windowed or something like that.
That will retain desktop color settings since windowed mode games can't change the gamma, but G-sync does not work in windowed mode and often results lower framerates. It's not a real solution for us.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 14 Feb 2014, 03:30

That really sucks.

In quakelive, there is a command called r_ignorehwgamma, and I think if you set it to 0, it doesn't overwrite the LUT, but I'm not sure about this.

Is the linearization of the LUT (the resetting of the gamma) intrinsic to Direct3D in fullscreen? Or do programmers do it explicitly because they're used to doing it?

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 18 Feb 2014, 16:54

I've managed to get great colors by simply using driver settings to select "Use Nvidia" and setting the Digital Vibrance setting to 70. Minor tweaks to the reds and blues may be necessary, usually w/the gamma setting, but this got it 99% accurate to what it was before I installed G-Sync.

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 24 Feb 2014, 11:16

Spacediver - you are everywhere I am!

Just a recap summary of what was said:
ICC profiles contain "vcgt", which is a grayscale LUT, that contains - RGB white balance, gamma, and luminance information. It can be applied to games if you use a good LUT forcing software like Monitor Calibration Wizard, but you also have to use the Borderless Window Mode program or a built-in feature with a similar name in most games or else games will reset it. The rest of the ICC characterization that deals with anything other than grayscale LUT, cannot be applied to games.