I'm about to buy an XL2546

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
eZen

I'm about to buy an XL2546

Post by eZen » 28 Sep 2017, 07:54

I just send back my XL2430 even if it was the best monitor i had, i really want to try the 240Hz experience.

I have some questions ( even if i already order it )

What's the Dynamic accuracy feature ? it's like a blur reduction set to perfection by BenQ ? without making the sceen too dark ?

Does that mean if we take a XL2540 factory, he's not going to be using blur reduction out of the box and a XL2546 use Blur reduction out of the box ?

And to finish, if anyone has this monitor, what is your profil settings for when you're not playing. I guess it's Standart profil but with some tweek ? thanks to let me know :)

Falkentyne

Re: I'm about to buy an XL2546

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Sep 2017, 09:38

Yes, but are you using an AMD or Nvidia card?
If you are going to be using an AMD card, please let me know, because I need you to test something for me.

And yes, you are correct. The XL2546 functions more like the XL2735, except the XL2735 is a 1440p panel tops at 144hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Sep 2017, 10:13

Yes, DyAc is BenQ's brand name for their blur reduction (like ASUS's ELMB and NVIDIA's ULMB)
Yes, it has much better-optimized Blur Reduction (reportedly brighter too, than the "non-DyAc" ones).

Although on by default, you can still turn it on/off though, depending on whenever you need it.

BenQ Zowie XL2540 -- you can turn on blur reduction (not named DyAc), but it has to be via service menu, and it's not as bright.
BenQ Zowie XL2546 -- it comes with official blur reduction (DyAc), on by default, was found to be brighter, but it can also be turned off too.

240Hz is definitely a real upgrade from 144Hz if you really clearly noticed the 60->120Hz jump. The 120->240 jump won't be as big, but it's definitely noticeable and real when you can run very high framerates (>200fps), and your refresh-rate-granularity-related "lag jittering" / "lag range variance" will roughly halve (min/max/avg lag will be much more stable) thanks to more frequent refresh cycle intervals. Lag jittering (min/max/avg) improvements is especially very dramatic when you compare 60Hz versus 240Hz. This is truly yet another reason to get 240Hz instead of 144Hz.

Most sites and reviewers don't realize that aiming accuracy is affected by lag randomness (min lag/max lag being very different), which is another error factor other than absolute lag! It even occurs during apples-vs-apples comparisions (1000fps-vs-1000fps VSYNC OFF comparisions at multiple different refresh rates). This is a measurement to "first screen reaction" (full frame high speed camera), rather than "center screen reaction" (Leo Bodnar lag tester style) -- this is important since competitive players use peripheral vision to react to other parts of the screen.

At 1000fps @ 60Hz, your min/max is 14/27 (a 13ms random-lag range!). But at 1000fps @ 240Hz, your min/max is 12/16 (a 4ms random-lag range!).

At any VSYNC OFF at any frame rate, lag "randomization" error margin, caused by refresh rate limitation, is up to one full refresh cycle. That improves aiming quite a lot when the refresh-rate-granularity-related forced lag jitterring (lag randomness) is reduced by sheer insanity in refresh rates.

Absolute lag is important. But lag consistency is important. High-Hz improves lag consistency. Many other mainstream sites do not understand this. But we do.

Manufacturers, bring on the 480Hz and 1000Hz monitors!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

eZen

Post by eZen » 30 Sep 2017, 15:26

Wow ! thanks alot for all those useful informations :)
Falkentyne wrote:Yes, but are you using an AMD or Nvidia card?
If you are going to be using an AMD card, please let me know, because I need you to test something for me.

And yes, you are correct. The XL2546 functions more like the XL2735, except the XL2735 is a 1440p panel tops at 144hz
Sorry mate but i'm using an Nvidia card

eZen

Post by eZen » 02 Oct 2017, 07:00

Hello again !

I just received the monitor and it's a beautyyyyy i've been playing with for a few hours now.

The 240Hz experience is kind of surprising, it's of course not as insane as a jump from 60Hz to 144Hz but i can definetely tell the difference.

+ The DyAc technology is also very good after some test with and without. I prefer to have it on Premium. Everything on the screen is clear even in fast movement. The only thing bothering is it's actualy so clear on the monitor that it create something disturbing in the eyes while not playing. So i decided not to use it if i don't play because having that sensation of blurness is better.( i'm so sorry english is not my native language )

Also using the menu on this monitor is far better than the XL2430, all the menu react way faster and something very good is when you want to select a profil between Standart, Movie, FPS1, FPS2 and all that, it DOESN'T select the god damn profil when you just go on it, you have to click on it for apply so you don't lose time while creating your profils in the beginning. This is something small but way better than the XL2430 and maybe other BenQ zowie monitor.

+ I want to add something that was a big problem on the XL2430. On the XL2430 you cannot save your standart profil on one of the button of the S switch. It's a known bug now and this issue if FIXED on the XL2546 ! ( i'm going to add this comment on my old thread so people can know this before buying )

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Oct 2017, 21:38

Premium may not be the optimal setting, until you test the others.
To get the best setting, you need to open the FACTORY MENU and change a setting called "OD GAIN". This is best done with AMA Set to high previously. Then you can change the OD gain setting up or down and use the Test UFO Alien Invasion test (along with some games) to get a good balance of what you like.

The factory menu code is in the sticky; the same code from the old Z series monitors and the XL2735 still open the factory menu on the XL2540 and XL2546. Button #5 should activate the factory menu after you unlock it.

It is very possible they changed the premium setting for the better, but on the XL2540, AMA "high" had far too much overshoot (which can be fixed by lowering the OD Gain setting), and AMA premium was much worse (more overshoot) than high was.

eZen

Post by eZen » 03 Oct 2017, 07:12

Falkentyne wrote:Premium may not be the optimal setting, until you test the others.
To get the best setting, you need to open the FACTORY MENU and change a setting called "OD GAIN". This is best done with AMA Set to high previously. Then you can change the OD gain setting up or down and use the Test UFO Alien Invasion test (along with some games) to get a good balance of what you like.

The factory menu code is in the sticky; the same code from the old Z series monitors and the XL2735 still open the factory menu on the XL2540 and XL2546. Button #5 should activate the factory menu after you unlock it.

It is very possible they changed the premium setting for the better, but on the XL2540, AMA "high" had far too much overshoot (which can be fixed by lowering the OD Gain setting), and AMA premium was much worse (more overshoot) than high was.
I did test all the DyAc : Premium and high. They are very close to each other when i test them on the UFO test. In premium i can see a very clear alien and i can clearly count the 3 eyes in fast movement without ghosting and it's what i wanted :)
Also, i don't touch the AmA, i keep it on High

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Oct 2017, 08:54

Well it depends on what test you were using, if you were using this test:

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

Premium would look good, but if you used this test:

http://testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Premium would be way overshot.

eZen

Post by eZen » 03 Oct 2017, 11:56

Is it possible to reset everything to the default value if i want to play a little bit with the OD GAIN value ? i don't want to mess things up

eZen

Post by eZen » 03 Oct 2017, 13:08

Also it's probably something known but switching from DyAc Premium to Off change the color palet of the monitor, high and premium have the same " bluish " color but switching to off change the color abit. The OSD settings are the same tho.