TIP: Good Overdrive Settings for BenQ/Zowie XL2546

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Busterino

Post by Busterino » 27 Sep 2017, 14:48

Hello,

don't know if somebody has already posted this, but I'd like to share the settings I've found for the benq xl2456.
Following this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467, entering the factory menu, "OD" -> "OD GAIN" the hexadimal value "3F" is the value which gives the most clear image while using 240 Hz, dyac set to "off" and AMA to "Premium". The binary value is "0011 1111" and decimal "63".
Testing this http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, "1080 pixel per second", I see no ghosting anymore (upper ufo), just a barely noticeable tail following the ufo at the top left corner (middle) and the same for the bottom ufo.

It's still not the same visual clarity as with dyac set to "Premium/High" but way way way better than with the "OD GAIN" set to the standard "4C". Pretty impressive :o
Now, during movement, absolutely everything looks incredible sharp.

Busterino

Re: overdrive benq zowie xl2546

Post by Busterino » 27 Sep 2017, 15:00

But the best thing now is:
The strobe crosstalk is gone, which is the downside of using 240 Hz+ dyac.
Far more annoying is the, ehhh, I don't know the term, but that shadow which follows the square, here http://www.testufo.com/#test=chase
When the square moves slowly (up to 960 pixel/s), this blur/shadow? is only small, but the faster the square moves, the more obvious it will get until the image look very ugly.
Which, in my opinion, makes 240 Hz + dyac only worth using for slow shooters like the nowadays popular counter strike or pubg.
When it comes to fast arena shooter (unreal tournament, quake, lawbreakersm reflex arena), which I play, where everything moves very fast and one has to pivot the camera almst every second, dyac makes everything unclear - which is quite the opposite it should actually do :lol:
(I tried the strobe utility, but the effect of reducing this blur/shadow? was not satisfying for me, no matter what frequency etc. I set.
Well, now it's gone. Thank for the hints and information here.

Last thing: anyone know what - in the factory menu - "ADDR" means? Standard value is "FF".
Or "BURNIN" which is standard set to "off"?

Btw: the system this website uses, for registration http://www.surbl.org/, is blocking e-mail providers like "web.de" or "gmx.de", gmx.net"; they're "blacklisted", which is pretty unwise, since probably million people in germany are using this. Don't know why in the first place, but my advice is you should un-blacklist them.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 20:34

Busterino wrote:Btw: the system this website uses, for registration http://www.surbl.org/, is blocking e-mail providers like "web.de" or "gmx.de", gmx.net"; they're "blacklisted", which is pretty unwise, since probably million people in germany are using this. Don't know why in the first place, but my advice is you should un-blacklist them.
I currently have no awareness it's currently blacklisting those popular services -- thanks for letting me know. This might have happened automatically, for some reason, sometime ago. I'll need to diagnose what's going on!

Lurkers, please email me squad[at]blurbusters.com if a blocklist is stopping you from registering. Often completely unintentional, as a lot of this is automated from various triggers such as somebody else mass-registering, etc.
Busterino wrote:(I tried the strobe utility, but the effect of reducing this blur/shadow? was not satisfying for me, no matter what frequency etc. I set.
Although, this is probably not useful for your specific types of games (Since it requires a lower refresh rate than 240Hz) -- did you also try testing Large Vertical Total tweaks? That can reduce strobe crosstalk (technical explanation) above-and-beyond simply using Strobe Utility or Service Menu.

There's a tradeoff though -- since it requires lowering the refresh rate to create the necessary headroom for longer blanking intervals (to hide LCD pixel transitions in a larger vertical blanking interval) -- that said, it can work pretty well when you want to play slower games.
Busterino wrote:Which, in my opinion, makes 240 Hz + dyac only worth using for slow shooters like the nowadays popular counter strike or pubg. When it comes to fast arena shooter (unreal tournament, quake, lawbreakersm reflex arena), which I play, where everything moves very fast and one has to pivot the camera almst every second, dyac makes everything unclear - which is quite the opposite it should actually do :lol:
(DyAc being BenQ's clone of LightBoost/ULMB).
Yes, this is consistent with the information found in HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively -- strobing can help certain gameplay tactics, but it can fail to help other kinds of gameplay tactics. The key is know when to use it, or not.

Busterino wrote:...entering the factory menu, "OD" -> "OD GAIN" the hexadimal value "3F" is the value which gives the most clear image while using 240 Hz, dyac set to "off" and AMA to "Premium". The binary value is "0011 1111" and decimal "63".
Testing this http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, "1080 pixel per second", I see no ghosting anymore (upper ufo), just a barely noticeable tail following the ufo at the top left corner (middle) and the same for the bottom ufo.
It's still not the same visual clarity as with dyac set to "Premium/High" but way way way better than with the "OD GAIN" set to the standard "4C". Pretty impressive :o
Now, during movement, absolutely everything looks incredible sharp.
Thanks for posting your findings -- good overdrive improvement tip for the BenQ/Zowie XL2546!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

eZen

Re: TIP: Good Overdrive Settings for BenQ/Zowie XL2546

Post by eZen » 07 Oct 2017, 13:02

entering the factory menu, "OD" -> "OD GAIN" the hexadimal value "3F" is the value which gives the most clear image while using 240 Hz, dyac set to "off" and AMA to "Premium"
Hello sir, i tried your settings and i have a couple questions.
I've been messing around with lots of different settings and the first problem i've found is : The monitor doesn't want to save the "3F" value in OD GAIN if you switch profil and come back, even shutting down the monitor reset the value to "4C". Is this happening to you ?

Then, what do you mean by the binary value ? i'm very bad with mathematic words and i don't know if it's something i have to manualy change or if it's just a code to know where to look for OD GAIN ? pls help :)

Then i tried lots of different settings, i always reset the monitor to factory settings to be sure and i really can't find a difference between your tweeked AMA Premium with OD GAIN "3F" and the basic AMA High non-tweeked. I tried with the exact same test ufo as you, i even increased the UFO speed to 1920 pixel a second to increase the effect and to my eye ( i'm 22 yo and good eyes ) i can't see the difference.
So to my eye AMA Premium OD GAIN "3F" = AMA HIGH basic value.

BTW, reset the monitor to factory settings DO reset everything to factory even if you mess around in the factory menu. I think this is something people want to know. Taking a picture of the screen to remember is not required. :D

It's true that using DyAc Premium with very high speed moving objet make it worse than using DyAc Off. And it's very true that DyAc is not good for every situation. Sadly there is no fix settings that is optimal for every game and situation. I've finaly decided to not use the DyAc even if my monitor does it because after reflexion i play alot of CS GO and i asked ScreaM what's his new monitor and it's a XL2540. I also checked an updated list of monitor that pro players are personaly using and i see alot of XL2540 but no XL2546. Ok it is more recent so maybe they don't feel the change but " maybe " they would've prefer if it was the first they received... I actualy don't know lol. But maybe they simply don't need the DyAc. That's a lot of maybe.

EDIT : i want to add, is this normal that when i change DyAc OFF to Premium, the color palet is slighly different ? i would like to only use DyAc OFF for a while but the color palet of DyAc Premium seems to be more colorful to my eye. I don't even know if it's normal that i change it but it does. I feel like the color are a liiiiitle bit more bluish but it looks beautiful compared to DyAc off where it looks more yellowish. I did check both DyAc OFF and premium are set to color temperatur Bluish ( it's like that out of the box ) but yes, it's a different color palet. If anyone know how to get the exact same it would be very helpful :)
( i use CS GO de_dust 2 A bomb site for reference but the difference is visible on everything. )

SilentMarket

Post by SilentMarket » 11 Oct 2017, 11:02

eZen wrote: BTW, reset the monitor to factory settings DO reset everything to factory even if you mess around in the factory menu. I think this is something people want to know. Taking a picture of the screen to remember is not required. :D
How to reset the monitor to factory settings? My XL2546 OD gain is 3C default.

eZen

Post by eZen » 11 Oct 2017, 11:34

What's your AMA settings and do you use DyAc when you check your OD gain ? i'll check on mine if it's the same.

SilentMarket

Post by SilentMarket » 11 Oct 2017, 12:51

eZen wrote:
What's your AMA settings and do you use DyAc when you check your OD gain ? i'll check on mine if it's the same.
DyAc is premium and AMA is high

eZen

Post by eZen » 11 Oct 2017, 14:24

FPS1 mode with DyAc Premium and AMA High, i have OD Gain 38 by default :roll:

SilentMarket

Post by SilentMarket » 11 Oct 2017, 20:32

eZen wrote:
FPS1 mode with DyAc Premium and AMA High, i have OD Gain 38 by default :roll:
How do you get a factory reset anyway? I just want to go back to default settings.

eZen

Post by eZen » 11 Oct 2017, 23:34

How do you get a factory reset anyway? I just want to go back to default settings.
Menu > System > Reset All.