G-sync SLI performance [improved with 334.67 drivers]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Ptolmy

G-sync SLI performance [improved with 334.67 drivers]

Post by Ptolmy » 09 Feb 2014, 09:56

I mainly play Battlefield4 and I was a little worried when I heard that some people were having issues with their sli/gsync setup.
I'm happy to say that everything is running smoothly on my sli 670's, especially after installing the latest NVidia beta drivers. Here are some numbers if anyone is curious:
Previous 332.21 drivers:
SLI gsync ~120fps - 50-60% gpu usage
single card gsync 95-100fps - 90%
SLI NO gsync 160-170fps - 90%
single NO gsync 95-100fps - 90+%

new 334.67 drivers:
SLI gsync 140-150fps - 80+% gpu usage
single card gsync 95-100fps - 90%
SLI NO gsync 160-170fps - 90%
single NO gsync 95-100fps - 90+%

So the new drivers definitely improved the sli performance with gsync at least in battlefield 4.
Still not sure which mode I prefer though... gsync looks great - but ULMB 120 with an in-game framecap at 125 is also really nice!

shadman

Re: G-sync SLI performance

Post by shadman » 10 Feb 2014, 08:03

Glad to see some good news for an SLI user, and the fps boost while in game certainly is good to see too.

You mainly play battlefield 4, but have you tried any other games with g-sync/ULMB?

Ptolmy

Re: G-sync SLI performance [improved with 334.67 drivers]

Post by Ptolmy » 10 Feb 2014, 19:18

I tried Civ V, which looks amazing in ULMB, panning around the screen with no blur is awesome. I tried it with G-sync as well and it offers equivalent framerates (it's maxing out both ways though so hard to tell the performance difference) it's very smooth as well, but it looks sharper with ULMB and vsync on.
I don't have many other games installed anymore, but I do have Skyrim so I tried that one as well and it worked fine - again the ULMB was more impressive in this game than the G-sync.
While testing things out, I mistakenly set my monitor to 60hz in battlefield 4, it looked so bad that I thought I had broke something - guess I'm spoiled now, would be hard to go back! ;)
It would be nice if there was a button to cycle G-sync on/off like the ULMB function has, it would be a lot easier to switch between modes and compare..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Feb 2014, 19:43

Ptolmy wrote:I tried Civ V, which looks amazing in ULMB, panning around the screen with no blur is awesome.
This is true -- most people think that strobing is mainly for FPS, but it certainly benefits RTS games when you frequently pan the screen.

Obviously, one need framerates matching stroberates (e.g. 120fps@120Hz framerate locked), to get the perfect looking zero motion blur motion effect during fast panning.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ptolmy

Post by Ptolmy » 10 Feb 2014, 20:29

Yeah for single player games, I turn on vsync for sure. But I can't stand the added input lag in multiplayer games like Battlefield 4 so I keep vsync off while playing those. Right now I'm running bf4 at ULMB 120hz, with an in game frame rate lock at 125 (seen this setting somewhere in the forums here!) Seems very smooth, the framerate dips below 120 occasionally though - if anyone has any other suggestions would love to hear them!
Right now I'm still alternating between this setup and G-sync; trying to find the best experience... I also upgraded my mouse from an MX518 to one that has a poll rate of 1000hz, to try to get things even smoother.. is this turning into an obsession?

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 11 Feb 2014, 20:45

Ptolmy, are you using dual monitors or just a single monitor??
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Ptolmy

Post by Ptolmy » 12 Feb 2014, 08:20

I have 3 monitors running. The Asus and 2 Westinghouse's, a 24" 1920x1200 and an old 42" TV at 1366x768 (built like a tank!)
Besides the displayport for the Asus, I'm using the 2 dvi plugs for the other displays. I usually have them on when playing.
The only issue that I'm seeing - and I don't know if it's related is that I'm getting some choppy performance in Windows Media Center on the 42". Even moving the mouse around the menu is laggy, this started when I got the new beta Nvidia drivers. Strangely though, one time I tried it and everything was smooth? So something mysterious is happening..
Let me know if you need any other info

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2014, 16:36

Ptolmy wrote:I have 3 monitors running. The Asus and 2 Westinghouse's, a 24" 1920x1200 and an old 42" TV at 1366x768 (built like a tank!)
Besides the displayport for the Asus, I'm using the 2 dvi plugs for the other displays. I usually have them on when playing.
The only issue that I'm seeing - and I don't know if it's related is that I'm getting some choppy performance in Windows Media Center on the 42". Even moving the mouse around the menu is laggy, this started when I got the new beta Nvidia drivers. Strangely though, one time I tried it and everything was smooth? So something mysterious is happening..
Let me know if you need any other info
Try temporarily making that display the primary display -- or disabling the other monitors and only using that display -- see if the lagging disappears.

Mixing different refresh rates (multimonitor with a 60Hz monitor and a 120Hz monitor) can be pretty problematic at times.

Multimonitor utilities such as DisplayFusion can have profiles (one-click) that allow switching which monitor is primary, or quickly enabling/disabling displays. They are a boon for situations like these.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ptolmy

Post by Ptolmy » 12 Feb 2014, 19:20

I found the issue, turned out to be a strange thing..
I was turning G-sync on/off to make comparisons in different games from the Nvidia Control panel. I would switch the Vertical sync setting from 'G-SYNC' mode to 'off'. When it was set to 'G-SYNC' it would be smooth in Windows Media Center, when it was 'off' it would be choppy. It seems that Windows Media Center uses vsync, as when I set it to "Use the 3D application setting' it would be smooth again. Interesting that it works with G-Sync as well..