XL2546 - Refining Settings

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
nodicaL

XL2546 - Refining Settings

Post by nodicaL » 10 Nov 2017, 08:49

Hello guys,

Long time lurker.
I've received the XL2546 yesterday, and tried out its 240Hz + DyAc, along with 182Hz + DyAc.
Much prefer the 182Hz mode with the Larger VT.
Used the Strobe Utility to get the middle of the screen as clear as possible.

However, I still get cross-talk / ghosting.
Is there any service menu tweaks which I can use to further refine this monitor's capabilities?

Furthermore, I've been using the PG258Q since it was released and loved using 235FPS cap with G-Sync.
As a T500 hitscan DPS in OW, I do a lot of eye tracking and find that the extremely low input lag + blur reduction is a great asset over V-Sync Off - 300FPS and the G-Sync mode.

I have about two weeks to decide which of these two monitors I want to keep.
For now, the XL2546 is winning the contest, but being able to reduce the cross-talk and ghosting would cement its position.

Absolutely love the feeling I get when I aim on this monitor, and it brings back the feeling of using my old Samsung SyncMaster CRT.

Thanks guys!

Q83Ia7ta

Re: XL2546 - Refining Settings

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 10 Nov 2017, 17:40

nodicaL wrote:Much prefer the 182Hz mode with the Larger VT.
Do you use some fps cap (180 for example) with that mode? Just curious.

nodicaL

Post by nodicaL » 10 Nov 2017, 20:25

No, I use 300FPS.

I would go higher, but OW is lol.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Nov 2017, 20:06

nodicaL wrote:However, I still get cross-talk / ghosting.
Make the Large Vertical Total even larger.
This widens the middle clarity band and thins the top/bottom crosstalky bands.

Unfortunately, if you're already at the maximum supported vertical total for your refresh rate -- you need to reduce refresh rate, to get less strobe crosstalk. For every 1Hz reduction in refresh rate, the slightly bigger you can get vertical totals, and the slightly thinner the crosstalk band becomes.

This is pretty much the art of "cramming LCD GtG into the VBI" -- your pixel transition speed overlaps 2 refresh cycles, and if your blanking interval is too short (pixel transitions of previous refresh cycles don't finish before next refresh cycle) then you get crosstalk at both top/bottom because the crosstalk (GtG speed limitation) can't completely fit offscreen between refresh cycles.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!