Looking for: 27" IPS, 1440p, G-Sync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hux0

Looking for: 27" IPS, 1440p, G-Sync

Post by hux0 » 30 Dec 2017, 08:27

Dear BlurBusters,

For a long time I have been using 3x Dell 2209WA IPS Monitors, 22", overclocked to 75Hz. Now it is time to purchase a new Gaming Monitor, which will be accompanied by one of the Dells in Portrait format. I have a GTX 1080 on the way. Requirements for the new monitor are:

27"
IPS
1440p
G-Sync

Looking at the BB list of monitors, there are not THAT many options:
Acer Predator XB271HU
AOC AG271QG
ASUS ROG PG279Q
Viewsonic XG2703-GS

Why are not more manufacturers offering this type of monitor?
Is there one that is 'better', say more recommendable, than the others?
They are all pretty much at the same price level, so does it matter which one I pick?
I plan to use the monitor for the next 10 years maybe, what would you recommend?
Anything I have to consider with the above monitors when it comes to blurring, ghosting, ...?

I just find these monitors quite expensive. As I am looking to use it for a long time, I am OK with spending quite some money, but just don't want to buy one which misses a feature the other ones at this price point offer. So, looking to go with Blur Busters Blessing. :)

Would love if you guys could educate me on some pros and cons. Maybe not tooooo technical...

Thanks!

lexlazootin

Re: Looking for: 27" IPS, 1440p, G-Sync

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Dec 2017, 10:56

They are going to be identical performance. 99% sure they use the same panel and the chip is the same so the configuration is going to be the same between them. Blurring/Ghosting or whatnot will be the same.

AOC tends to make cheaper monitors, idk if it's because of the construction or whatnot but this one looks pretty good!

Acer/Asus both do pretty good with the construction quality.

ViewSonic i can't really say, but it looks good.

I would just get the one you like the look of or the cheapest, because there isn't much to go on beside that with these monitor :P

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Dec 2017, 13:51

The panels of these monitors are either identical, or almost the same (different batches or revisions.)

However, monitor manufacturers tune them differently and use different firmware. So they don't actually perform exactly the same when it comes to color reproduction. But the overall experience is quite similar.

I don't know why these were the only monitors to utilize that panel. Maybe they didn't sell well enough, or the market wants to move towards VA panels due to the IPS glow issue, who knows.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

darzo

Post by darzo » 30 Dec 2017, 18:53

lexlazootin wrote:They are going to be identical performance. 99% sure they use the same panel and the chip is the same so the configuration is going to be the same between them. Blurring/Ghosting or whatnot will be the same.
You keep repeating this but I don't think it's true. Critical reviews, customer reviews, and my experience has contradicted this. We just alluded to differences in the 240hz monitors thread. While the screen supplier may be the same apparently the different companies do different things afterward. Not sure why the Chief hasn't made a comment on this claim yet.

hux0

Post by hux0 » 30 Dec 2017, 19:06

I guess we can agree that these four are in the same range more or less. So price and looks could be my decision maker.

I do wonder why there are not more options from different brands. Samsung, LG, Dell, BenQ... interesting why they miss out on this option. I do find 27" to be a very good size when you sit right in front of it. 1440p should be a good resolution even if you don't want to upgrade your gfx card every year. I am running my 3 x 22" off a GTX 760, so yeah... I prefer to leave some generations of GFX cards out until I upgrade.

Reviews on monitors always feel biased. Or at least you can't compare reviews on different models of monitors, so really hard to judge what the difference between the four is.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Dec 2017, 20:26

darzo wrote:You keep repeating this but I don't think it's true. Critical reviews, customer reviews, and my experience has contradicted this.
Would you like to clarify the reviews and sources?

You should really see some of the OSDs, they are near identical settings wise with slight adjustments. They are using some sort of Nvidia tool kit to create the OSD. If Nvidia is insuring the final OD/Picture quality or doing it them selfs what does it matter monitor to monitor?

darzo

Post by darzo » 30 Dec 2017, 20:37

My initial inclination would be to avoid ViewSonic and AOC. If you're going to buy away from Acer and Asus make sure you've researched what you're buying. At this point I prefer Acer over Asus due to my perception that the 240hz Acer has better picture quality than its Asus counterpart but I still encountered nonsense like buzzing from the power light area at 240hz that is reported often enough on Amazon as a proportion that it's apparently a common defect Acer won't bother commenting on and fixing. I personally went through two units with the same defect. Anyway, be smart when buying a product from companies without an established leading reputation.

I don't know why BenQ doesn't have a 1440 monitor (are you sure?) but as far as gaming goes I'm aware that, strangely, Samsung, LG, and Dell aren't in the mix. They do have some I think but surprisingly on the fringes.

By the way, even with Asus and Acer here I've read that IPS backlight bleeding can be a chance issue. Have more recent units been improved or made less likely to have this problem?
lexlazootin wrote:
darzo wrote:You keep repeating this but I don't think it's true. Critical reviews, customer reviews, and my experience has contradicted this.
Would you like to clarify the reviews and sources?

You should really see some of the OSDs, they are near identical settings wise with slight adjustments. They are using some sort of Nvidia tool kit to create the OSD. If Nvidia is insuring the final OD/Picture quality or doing it them selfs what does it matter monitor to monitor?
We just saw a significant difference between two 240hz monitors reviewed by TFT, one an AOC and the other an Asus, in the 240hz thread. I've read multiple comments about BenQ having differences from other brands on Amazon. I've bought 4 monitors - a 144hz BenQ, a 1440 165hz Asus, a 240hz Asus, and a 240hz Acer. Each of the three brands had differences in what I was seeing beyond the refresh rate.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Dec 2017, 20:44

"We just saw a significant difference between two 240hz monitors reviewed by TFT, one an AOC and the other an Asus"

Non G-sync vs G-Sync

"in the 240hz thread. I've read multiple comments about BenQ having differences from other brands on Amazon."

Benq doesn't use G-Sync and their configuration is crap?

"I've bought 4 monitors - a 144hz BenQ, a 1440 165hz Asus, a 240hz Asus, and a 240hz Acer. Each of the three brands had differences in what I was seeing beyond the refresh rate."

We're comparing 4 similar monitors with identical panels and chips between brands, not random different models. What i'm saying is that a 240hz G-Sync by one brand is going to be pretty identical to 240hz G-Sync from another because they use the same panel and Chip.

darzo

Post by darzo » 30 Dec 2017, 21:54

Bad overdrive vs good overdrive. Whether the initial configuration of a monitor is crap or not is irrelevant- it's about how the picture appears when the configurations are similar. Two of the monitors were not different models, they were 240hz counterparts with g sync, and it's possible the difference went beyond the Acer having imo a better picture to strangely terrible motion over the refresh rate on the Acer that might've not been there on the Asus, can't recall. The panel is not the end all be all.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Dec 2017, 22:14

As far as I'm aware, the main difference you'll see with different brand monitors containing the same panel are:

- Physical chassis differences, including backlight mounting and adherence (which may or may not cause more backlight bleed on one brand with the same panel than on the other)
- Panel Revisions (slightly newer or different version of the same panel model)
- Different starting internal offsets for picture settings, and peak brightness at equivalent settings could vary as well (though this happens from unit to unit on the same brands too)
- Resolution timing differences
- Overdrive tuning differences
- OSD layout, options, and features, which may include more/less gamma and overdrive selection levels.
- EDIT: Power supply could be included inside chassis or separately with power cord, which could change weight/form factor slightly.
- etc...

No doubt there are more, and G-SYNC models could very well have less of these differences to due Nvidia's strict standards, but that's the idea.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)