Looking for: 27" IPS, 1440p, G-Sync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Looking for: 27" IPS, 1440p, G-Sync

Post by RealNC » 04 Jan 2018, 04:51

There's also VA. You don't have to go TN.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

hux0

Post by hux0 » 04 Jan 2018, 07:01

RealNC wrote:There's also VA. You don't have to go TN.
What would be your recommendations for 27" VA 1440p and 27" TN 1440p/1080p?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jan 2018, 12:30

I have zero experience with VA panels. I see them getting good reviews though. However, they're curved ultrawide. There's a non-ultrawide 1440p VA out there (LG 32GK850G-B), but I have no idea if it's any good. Also, it's 32", not 27".
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

hux0

Post by hux0 » 15 Jan 2018, 04:04

So... I spent the weekend with my new XG2703-GS. First of all, it seems gambling is not my thing, as the panel instantly showed a yellow tint in the lower right, and a blueish tint on the lower left. It is no problem during gaming, but for anything office, web browsing etc., your clearly see these spots. Besides that, the panel performed good.

So the question was there: is it worth the 700€ I paid? For me, it's not. The price for these monitors is quite high, and I expect a better quality at this price tag. Others may feel different here. But for me... I imagined sitting there a year in the future, with probably a dozen better monitors on the market at a more attractive price. I can wait for that.

Besides that, Amazon really failed on this one - or Viewsonic QC, but I can't imagine the latter. The monitor was definately used condition! The wrap on the panel was not completely in place. The power supply had the plastic wrap hanging on the cable, not on the PSU itself. And there were clearly fingerprints around the OSD buttons. If the used condition would have been the only problem, I would have simply have it exchanged. But this was the cherry on the cake.

So I am looking forward to some nice VA Panels that may come some day. Hopefully they will be in the 25"-27" size, because anything bigger is not what I want on my desk for gaming.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jan 2018, 11:11

The yellow glow in the lower right is typical IPS glow. You know if that's the case if it disappears when you look at it from the front rather than at an angle; the same way color and gamma shift disappears on a TN panel when you look at it the same way. This is the compromise between TN and these 144/165Hz IPS panels. You trade TN color shift and gamma shift for IPS glow.

However, if it doesn't disappear when you look at it straight on, then it's not glow. It's backlight bleed or some panel defect.

No idea what the blue tint on the lower left was though... I can't see anything like that on my unit. I sourced mine directly from ViewSonic through a local store. I didn't buy it online.

Note though that VA panels also have a trade-off. They don't have color shift (or very little of it,) nor glow, but they have gamma shift. The image gets washed out or too dark as you view it from different angles. However, this might be better than IPS glow. I suspect that most VA monitors are curved in an attempt to reduce the effect of gamma shift.

Basically, all LCD panel technologies have that kind of "Achilles heel". The LCD panels that seem to provide the best image quality with the least amount of "<something> shift" are IPS panels with anti-glow filters. Unfortunately, no such panels were made with high refresh rates and they have high pixel response times.