Asus Announces ProArt PQ22UC OLED!

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
lexlazootin

Asus Announces ProArt PQ22UC OLED!

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Jan 2018, 08:34

It's a '4k' 21.6in OLED monitor which does true 10-bit and support for HDR-10. It covers 100% DCI-P3 coverage (25% larger color gamut than sRGB).

It's kind of a weird smaller portable monitor, they do kind of point at this fact by bringing up It weighs only 2.2lbs and it has only a USB-C and a mini-HDMI for connection. Because of the size and resolution, you get a 204 ppi pixel density display.

Although it's a cool monitor I'm way more interested in the panel, The panel is made by JOLED (Japan OLED) who is owned by JDI, Sony and Panasonic. From what it looks like, this is one of the first consumer panels from them as quite a few monitor manufacturers have started making OLED monitors with this exact panel size targeted at medical applications. Although we don't have a price yet for the Asus monitor yet, JOLED does say

"JOLED Is using an ink-jet printing process, which (according to the company) may enable it to produce at a lower cost - around 30-50% cheaper compared to evaporation. JOLED is using Sumitomo's P-OLED materials."

Because of that and the size, let's hope that it will be a little cheaper than Dells 30" 4k $3500usd OLED :)

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/PQ22UC/

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Asus Announces ProArt PQ22UC OLED!

Post by RealNC » 08 Jan 2018, 08:50

Of all the CES stuff so far, this is the first one that I find interesting.

We need OLED as a complete LCD replacement at some point, where every display sold is OLED.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 08 Jan 2018, 10:54

With 22" 1080p (4K is too much for games -for me-) and a good price less than 400€, it would have been awesome xD .

I wonder if blur are still on OLED panels (i have read the article but is from 3 years ago).
And what about burning problems? I want reviews :P .

Anyway i hope they release it quickly so other brands start to release OLEDs too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2018, 11:21

rasmas wrote: I wonder if blur are still on OLED panels (i have read the article but is from 3 years ago).
And what about burning problems? I want reviews :P .
I love OLEDs for what they do well, that said, it probably has motion blur, because:

You need a strobed mode for OLEDs or ultra-high Hz, as seen in my newer article at http://www.blurbusters.com/1000hz-journey

A flickerfree 60Hz or 120Hz display of any kind will _always_ have motion blur, unless:

- You need a strobed mode (BFI)
or
- You need ultra-high fps & Hz for blurfree sample-and-hold. (Whether real Hz or interpolated)

I am not sure if this display has either, but I will go seek it out at CES 2018.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jan 2018, 12:12

The $4000 Dell OLED had rolling scan (like a CRT,) which meant it didn't have blur.

For an OLED to not have blur, it needs to do rolling scan. But if it does, then it will look better than LCD MBR, because the flicker is less aggressive.

But as Chief said, there's no info on whether this particular OLED has rolling scan MBR or not.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 08 Jan 2018, 15:48

Once you see it at CES report back! (and take some of these for us :mrgreen: :P ).

I have always wondered why did Dell stopped selling their OLED so fast (apart of the price xD ).

Vega

Post by Vega » 09 Jan 2018, 12:34

I assume this is only 60 Hz? :cry:

The Dell 30" OLED had rolling scan but it only did it at 60 Hz, the flicker making the mode unusable. I kinda miss mine though, 30" glossy 4K OLED is quite amazing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jan 2018, 12:00

THis OLED did not appear to have rolling scan, but it sure looked beautiful. I'll be writing a mini OLED rollup sometime today,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Jan 2018, 07:37

They told Linus that the price would be "Under $1000USD"

I feel like the price of OLED must be per pixel or something because you can get 4k 55-inch OLED TVs for $1600 but a 21" monitor for "Under $1000USD" You think they would at least try and make a size that everyone wants. We'll see if anything changes in the future if they continue making panels. We need some Ziswork magic on these :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2018, 21:13