Samsung C49hg90 144hz Freesync 2.0

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Haldi

Samsung C49hg90 144hz Freesync 2.0

Post by Haldi » 27 Nov 2017, 15:36

Hello,

I've just bought a Samsung C49HG90 Monitor. The first 32:9 Monitor ever Produced, with Freesync 2 which supports HDR 10bit.

Sadly i'm currently only able to run 120hz on my Win10 Machine with a R9-290.
But the Freesync Range is reported as 48-120hz.
What is the easiest way to test if LFC is working? I've tried the AMD Windmill demo, but when i activate Freesync i see some strange ghosting effects.

Horizontales Timing Total - 4000
Horizontales Timing Anzeige - 3840
Horizontales Timing Front Porch - 48
Horizontales Timing Sync-Breite - 32
Vertikales Timing Total - 1144
Vertikales Timing Anzeige - 1080
Vertikales Timing Front Porch - 3
Vertikales Timing Sync-Breite - 10
Horizontales Timing Polarität - Positive
Vertikales Timing Polarität - Negative
Interlaced/Progressiv - Progressive
G. Pixeltakt (kHz) - 549000
G. Bildwiederholfrequenz (Hz) - 119.974
Aktueller HDCP-Status - Disabled
Aktuelle Linkeinstellungen - 5.4 Gbps x 4

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Samsung C49hg90 144hz Freesync 2.0

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2017, 20:56

Hello, we have never tested a C49HG90, but I am very interested to know how your experiences are now.

How's it functioning these days?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haldi

Post by Haldi » 20 Jan 2018, 04:55

First thing that should be mentioned is the horrible DPI. it's similar to a 27" 1080p Monitor.
If you're used to a 23" 1080p Monitor... it's way worse. After a while you get used to it.

The Monitor did get Certified by VESA as first HDR600 Monitor but sadly Games are nowhere near ready for that. And neither is windows.

This is a common issue happening on a few games that don't support HDR, but still manage to trigger HDR Input....
phpBB [video]

On the other hand if it does work, you mostly get better visibility in really dark areas.
phpBB [video]

The issue with FreeSync is kinda strange...
it feels like a ghosting Effect. When using the FreeSync Demo V0.9.1 you see a delayed shadow of the windmill rotorblade. It's kinda hard to spot in Videos but extremly conspicuous on the Monitor.
phpBB [video]

(120fps SloMo Video, until 0:58 is with FreeSync On, after that is Off)

Even in games i actually prefer the Fast Response time over FreeSync. Sadly i don't have the proper Setup to correctly test this.
phpBB [video]

Still, as coming from an Eyefinity Setup with 3x 23" 60hz Monitors i kinda like this Monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2018, 00:46

Thanks for posting these images!

It seems we need to get more true-HDR games to arrive first, because PC games are not yet currently optimized for HDR operation yet. For now, it tends to be best to use SDR mode for now for the non-HDR games.
Haldi wrote:The issue with FreeSync is kinda strange...
it feels like a ghosting Effect. When using the FreeSync Demo V0.9.1 you see a delayed shadow of the windmill rotorblade. It's kinda hard to spot in Videos but extremly conspicuous on the Monitor.
For VRR ghosting: Overdrive is very hard to do on variable refresh rate monitors.

Different overdrives are needed for different refresh rates, and this becomes much trickier during VRR. And with VA-based panel with different pixel transition speeds for different shades, that's another ball of wax.

Overdrive is one thing NVIDIA does very, very well at the moment!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jan 2018, 01:54

I was hoping freesync v2 would solve the ghosting issue. At least that's what I remember reading a while back. Poor VRR overdrive has been plaguing freesync users for years now, and there was talk that AMD would step in and either do the overdrive themselves or validate it for freesync-branded monitors. Seems like that didn't happen?

This is especially bad for VA panels. On TN, you can actually disable overdrive completely and you still get a good enough result. With VA this isn't an option, so I have to question how AMD is allowing this to happen at all.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2018, 05:33

Let's be fair. I've seen worse ghosting than that on non-FreeSync VA panels. VA is a tough nut for overdrive. Even I'm not 100% sure if it's FreeSync amplified.

Any differences when ON/OFF FreeSync?

Haldi

Post by Haldi » 26 Jan 2018, 10:04

its a HUGE difference.
There is the ghosting issue in the Freesync Demo, which is way less without Freesync.
But the other thing is Ingame Freesync makes the game feel laggy, i've tried in Deus Ex Mankind Divided and some others, but they all just feel delayed or slaggy. So i've deactivated it for now.