Is Lightboost killing my 980 ti or monitor?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
thetwistedblue

Is Lightboost killing my 980 ti or monitor?

Post by thetwistedblue » 29 Jan 2018, 06:38

Hi all,

I've noticed since reinstalling Lightboost for my 980 ti with benq xl2411t that on cold booting the computer, the entire windows login page picture is obscured by phasing grey lines. These take a good 10 seconds for the picture to gradually clear and I am able to see the login page picture. Afterwards, the PC is usable as normal and I game away merrily on it.

During my debugging I managed to uninstall Lightboost and stop it from starting, but I initially thought I had narrowed the problem to having my Oculus rift plugged in the back. Now, since reinstalling Lightboost and with no Rift plugged in, the problem has started again and I don't seem to be able to stop Lightboost from running.

I'm using strobelight-beta4 at 120 hz.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is Lightboost killing my 980 ti or monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2018, 13:06

It would not be your GT980. But it could be triggering a glitch in the monitor. There may perhaps be a longtime undiagnosed glitch in the XL2411T during mode switches, e.g. LightBoost startup triggering it and then monitor taking time to catch up. The monitor was indeed designed to have LightBoost, but there might be a developing problem with that feature. If you make sure LightBoost is turned off (via strobelight "LightBoost OFF") before you reboot, does the problem happen when you reboot? Does it happen both ways?

One possibility -- you may wish to consider upgrading to a newer ULMB monitor (much brighter & more colorful than LightBoost)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thetwistedblue

Post by thetwistedblue » 29 Jan 2018, 16:23

Thanks for getting back so quick.

I've turned Lightboost off as you suggested but it flickered again at the login page though less pronounced this time. Rather than the entire page being an entire grey liney mess, I could largely see the image with some liney flickering distortions in sections of the image before it passed.

I guess that means it happens both ways. Is it possible the monitor is dying?

I also forgot to mention in the original post that the problem also occurred when the display has been asleep and I have woken it by moving the mouse on my pc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2018, 16:47

thetwistedblue wrote:I guess that means it happens both ways. Is it possible the monitor is dying?
Possible. Unsure to say.

Try 100Hz, before rebooting. See what happens?

Another last resort try: Try a different Custom Resolution. Try installing ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility (different utility) and installing a different calculation for one of the two modes (the non-LightBoost mode). Your monitor might begin to work better for these modes at closer-to-default 100Hz or 120Hz timings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thetwistedblue

Post by thetwistedblue » 30 Jan 2018, 16:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Try 100Hz, before rebooting. See what happens?
Thanks again for replying.

I've set it to 100Hz with lightboost enabled.

The problem is intermittent so I will monitor (excuse the pun) it for the next few days and see if it reoccurs!

thetwistedblue

Post by thetwistedblue » 31 Jan 2018, 16:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Try 100Hz, before rebooting. See what happens?

Another last resort try: Try a different Custom Resolution. Try installing ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility (different utility) and installing a different calculation for one of the two modes (the non-LightBoost mode). Your monitor might begin to work better for these modes at closer-to-default 100Hz or 120Hz timings.
Hi again,

I've been trying with Lightboost enabled at 100Hz and it just occurred again on boot.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what your suggestion is. When you say a different calculation for one of the two modes, are you saying work with Strobelight enabled and alter the non-strobed mode using this other utility?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Feb 2018, 09:34

Different CRU timings numbers. I am 99% sure it won't work now -

If you say it is intermittent, I think something is beginning to become defective in the monitor.