Weird Blur With Acer GN246HLB

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BigHungryChicken

Weird Blur With Acer GN246HLB

Post by BigHungryChicken » 12 Feb 2018, 07:05

Description of problem
I have a weird blur with my new Acer GN246HLB monitors that appears on everything it is just more noticeable in Minecraft

Issue: https://youtu.be/4mN47ESl7AU

Other relevant info
I have tried contacting Acer and I ended up returning the monitors to have them repaired but they said they couldn't find any problem with them and if I wanted an engineer to come out and look at it because I can easily reproduce the problem they said that it would cost £150
According to Reddit the problem is "Overdrive" so is there any way I can have some modded software or something to disable this feature

When this issue began
When I bought the monitors

Recurring issue
Yes

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue
Anything moving has a weird blur after it. It is more noticeable in Minecraft as you can see in this video: https://youtu.be/4mN47ESl7AU
What I've tried so far to resolve the issue
Whether I run them at 144hz or 60hz it makes no difference and it's not just my computer as the issue also occurs on my switch when it is plugged into the monitor

lexlazootin

Re: Weird Blur With Acer GN246HLB

Post by lexlazootin » 12 Feb 2018, 11:19

Yea, it's Overdrive turned up way too far.

There is pretty much nothing you can do since the OD can not be changed in your monitor OSD. BL, but it's good information to know.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 12 Feb 2018, 11:56

Is this display an old 1st gen 120hz one, just like Acer GD245HQ?

I owned GD245HQ in 2010-2013, and had pretty much the same buggy color distorted blur, but I've found a workaround/solution to this.
Afair,
1. Enable service menu
2. In service menu, turn OD = Off
3. Then select "Reset" in service menu
4. Open service menu again, now turn OD = On
5. Reset again

You're good to go. In my case, problem appeared again after 5-7 days of normal usage. When it appears, repeat the steps.

Hope this will help.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Feb 2018, 12:01

Also, at 120Hz with a TN panel, OD off could still be quite usable.

But monitors without an official overdrive setting... Ugh. Seriously? I've used cheap $150 monitors that have it.

Acer, please.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 12 Feb 2018, 12:06

RealNC wrote:Also, at 120Hz with a TN panel, OD off could still be quite usable.

But monitors without an official overdrive setting... Ugh. Seriously? I've used cheap $150 monitors that have it.

Acer, please.
Yes, it was usable without OD. I bought my GD245HQ a bit used, and guy that sold it to me, already turned OD off in service menu.
GD245HQ, as i remember, was 1st 1080p 16:19 120hz on the market in 2010, and yes, it had no official OD setting.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2018, 18:39

This is called coronas, documented at LCD Overdrive Artifacts.

(Jorim puruit)

Excessive overdrive behavior is also seen in TestUFO tests too, such as www.testufo.com/ghosting
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2018, 18:48

The manual for your monitor is on Acer's website, downloaded here.

I am having a hard time finding the Overdrive setting.
But maybe there's an undocumented Overdrive setting in DDC/CI (download Entech Taiwan's softmccs.exe to adjust undocumented monitor settings).

Alternatively, download ToastyX Strobelight from http://www.monitortests.com (Run strobelight-setup.exe and ignore the error message when it fails -- then reboot and run strobelight.exe to turn on LightBoost ....). LightBoost is another method of disabling excessive overdrive on the Acer GN246HL -- undocumented but you may prefer this. For more info, see http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 13 Feb 2018, 03:57

k2viper wrote:Is this display an old 1st gen 120hz one, just like Acer GD245HQ?

I owned GD245HQ in 2010-2013, and had pretty much the same buggy color distorted blur, but I've found a workaround/solution to this.
Afair,
1. Enable service menu
5. Reset again

You're good to go. In my case, problem appeared again after 5-7 days of normal usage. When it appears, repeat the steps.

Hope this will help.
These are 144hz monitors so I don't know if they are the new ones or not and how do I enable the service menu?

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 13 Feb 2018, 04:43

BigHungryChicken wrote:
k2viper wrote:Is this display an old 1st gen 120hz one, just like Acer GD245HQ?

Afair,
1. Enable service menu
5. Reset again

Hope this will help.
These are 144hz monitors so I don't know if they are the new ones or not and how do I enable the service menu?
So I found how to get the service menu but I don't see a reset option

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 13 Feb 2018, 08:52

Then try to turn OD off/on, without a reset and see if it helps. If not, try turn OD off, power off (instead of reset), then power on and enable OD again.
The trick was to freshly re-enable OD every time that blur appeared to me.