New monitor - ACER XF270HA [NEED HELP]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
k2viper

Re: New monitor - ACER XF270HA [NEED HELP]

Post by k2viper » 02 Mar 2018, 01:45

Generally its a bad case, its the another cheaper frameskipping monitor (AOC has problems afair too).
That means that vendors do not test their products for such misperformance. Its serious, because it means that "premium class" gaming product cannot work in its advertised mode, and for user its also may be risky to get newer "cheaper" models.

Btw I'm also on 27" since 2013, and looked for 240hz monitior also only at this size, I love it over 24-25" which I have at my workplace.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 02 Mar 2018, 04:45

k2viper wrote:Generally its a bad case, its the another cheaper frameskipping monitor (AOC has problems afair too).
That means that vendors do not test their products for such misperformance. Its serious, because it means that "premium class" gaming product cannot work in its advertised mode, and for user its also may be risky to get newer "cheaper" models.

Btw I'm also on 27" since 2013, and looked for 240hz monitior also only at this size, I love it over 24-25" which I have at my workplace.
Exactly.
But I can't say I haven't expected this... seeing that the monitor was from acer, and not even from their predator line, I had my doubts about it from the start.
The only brands I really trust, when it comes to high refresh rate gaming monitors are Benq (although I know the osd will be clunky and the colors worse compared to others... I also know that the performance will be on point), ASUS and Dell.
AOC, acer, LG, ViewSonic are all more liable to sliping up.

After trying 27 I have really hard time going back to 24... in fact, I don't even want to.
It's just so much easier to see stuff... takes less concentration to spot and track things on the screen, which enables me to focus on other aspects of the game.

btw, what's your job?
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 02 Mar 2018, 07:21

I'm financial manager. Lots of office windows and so on.
One of my teammates decided to go with LG's 27". They really did a good job with this model :)

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Mar 2018, 11:13

I don't know for sure but they are probably just using the same scaler or piece of hardware that claims to be able to handle 240hz but can't. Most of these monitors are pretty identical when you break it down.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 02 Mar 2018, 12:22

Bottom line is:
Stay away until ACER fixes this.

*EDIT: I reckon there's a fix for the AOC... so If anyone knows about a fix for my acer, pls let me know, otherwise I'll send back the monitor next monday.

*EDIT no2: If you're thinking about buying this monitor, do not.
There's more information about it on this forum, but it's buried deeper than you'd think.
Here's a link that directs you to the thread, in which said information can be found:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3598

(p.s. You guys could have told me about this...)

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 11:43

Shameless repost, so that more people would see this info:

darzo wrote:Overwatch has been known to have weird issues with newer cards not reflecting them being better. That said your CPU should be replaced and should account for the problem, although then you might need a new motherboard and while you're at it new RAM. I'd be curious what power supply you have as well. It also depends what settings you're playing on. I have a 1080 with an i7 7700k oced to 5 ghz and I have to have the settings on their lowest values to have a floor of 237 fps.

There are two reasons not to buy the monitor in question. One, it might have a buzzing from the power light area at 240hz. Two, you find 24.5 inches fine or even preferable and want to save a bit of money. I have this monitor and imo it's the best out there. Not only is its size helpful, but contrary to what most people will claim, my impression is its picture is better than the Asus monitor, which I tried as well. The panel supplier might be the same but apparently there's a good deal these companies do themselves.

I've purchased the XF270HA (which I'm sending back tomorrow)... and found that it's basically the same thing as the XB272...which I find ridiculous... it has the same buzzing noise that you described, coming from the power light area at 240hz, the same exact joystick+4 button layout...same EVERYTHING from the outside at least, this is a fact.
The only difference is the acer badge on the front, which is there instead of the predator one; and of course, it has a different stand.

Now on to what are just speculations:
I think it even has the same internals, minus the g-sync unit...
hence the reason for the lower price and sub-par calibration, which results in framskipping at 240hz. (though the colors are still really nice for a TN...worlds apart from an xl2411z, and even a hair better than the Alienware 25)

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 07 Mar 2018, 07:03

Here's my video review of this monitor:

phpBB [video]