Glossy screen with GSync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Glossy screen with GSync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2018, 14:00

lossofmercy wrote:Finally rebuilt the PC. Took way too long. On the plus side, the cable management looks very good except for one.

So far, restarting without any problems. Updating drivers + windows update... hopefully it sticks.
Fantastic that the computer rebuild solved everything!

I've had a bad motherboard, and a bad power supply (in two different years in the last 10 years). A royal PITA when you're not quite sure what is causing the malfunction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 25 Feb 2018, 14:43

Ok, everything updated. No issues with restarts anymore.

I have no idea what the issue was. It was a really old motherboard, so maybe that was it. Or maybe all I needed was a fresh install of windows. If it was a power supply issue, I would think it would have shown itself earlier.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Feb 2018, 17:03

Glad to hear. It sucks to recommend something expensive to someone and have it be broken mess. Have fun!

What do you think about the coating of the panel? Do you think it's still not glossy enough?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 26 Feb 2018, 14:03

No, it could be glossier. But it's better than what I had.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 12 Mar 2018, 20:09

Ok, so the new screen that I got was substantially better than the old one. There is no edge bleed. There is no vertical green bars. And I don't even notice a tint shift... although that last bit could just be me getting used to the monitor. Much more worthy of my 600 dollars I would say.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Mar 2018, 20:39

Yeah, when you get a good unit, it's pretty darn good :mrgreen:

One last thing: some reviews that did gamma measurements claim that the "proper" gamma setting for this monitor is 2.4 instead of 2.2. So definitely try that too. Although there's always a difference between units, so this is not the same for every unit. I wish I had a calibration device... :P
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2018, 16:11

lossofmercy wrote:Ok, so the new screen that I got was substantially better than the old one. There is no edge bleed. There is no vertical green bars. And I don't even notice a tint shift... although that last bit could just be me getting used to the monitor. Much more worthy of my 600 dollars I would say.
Excellent!

Glad it was just a defective panel.

(Or damaged during shipping, of course. Could be as simple as a shipping box falling off a shelf -- I've seen big monitor box drop that far once, and the monitor still worked, but you never know if a panel ribbon cable got loose...)

So the warranty claim worked!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 04 Jun 2018, 12:06

I am thinking about eventually turning this into a triple screen setup, probably some time after the new card releases for Nvidia. Thoughts? Any issues with Gsync?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2018, 13:21

Last I heard, gsync does have issues with multi screen setups. Stutter mostly.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 04 Jun 2018, 18:21

So going off my very basic calculation, to start this setup, I would need to hit 14 GB of VRAM just for the amount of textures to load. This is going off of using Ghost Recon Wildlands's need for 4.5 GB of VRAM usage in 1440p. And this is BEFORE you factor in that you are running 6x the resolution of 1080p, and dealing with a volatile tech like Gsync.

Tough times man. Tough times.