Looking for 1080p monitor... no luck so far (AG251FG pics!)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexebidar

Re: Looking for 1080p monitor... no luck so far (AG251FG pic

Post by lexebidar » 16 Mar 2018, 11:51

I know my pics are overexposed but they were taken with lg g6 in fully lit room. I will take beter pcis next time (hope I won't have to!)
Your 24" predator looks better than AOC in Your pictures anyway

So!!! back to the topic - I've still not decided if I should drop the gsync or not. There is a word that 27" 240hz 1080p monitors have a bit better quality than their 24" versions.
1. How is Acer Predator XB2 (XB272) ? Not a bad price for 27" monitor
2. There is also LG 27GK750F-B which is getting a good rep here but no gsync but only slightly cheaper than above acer.
3. A few 144hz/240hz 24-27 inch monitors without gsync like LG 24GM79G which is cheapest and seems to be neat (and few more LG models)
4. Or there is an ultimate but way expensive LG 32GK850G-B.... I think it's too big but hell - if I knew it would be a great monitor, I would hold off and get it.

Right now I am kinda tempted to try some other gsync monitors and do not drop gsync yet. There are 240hz monitors in 24.5 size from Alienware and Acer I could still try (leaning towards 27" version) or Dells. The smartest choice would probably be to buy either of the lg's. 24 or 27" model. Sure no gsync but strobing, high refresh rate, good gamma, uniformity and so on. The LG 27GK750F-B is exactly half the price of Acer Xb252Q

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 16 Mar 2018, 14:28

lexebidar wrote:The LG 27GK750F-B is exactly half the price of Acer Xb252Q
I just googled and was surprised by a fact that XB252 costs more then XB272.
Usually 27" are a bit more expensive.
About gsync (drop it or not), you've got a Gsync monitor right now and willing to return it?
Read about Gsync, how it works, what it does, test it yourself and decide do you want this feature as your primary or you dont mind.
Strobing and VRR (gsync nor freesync) will not work together. Your gsync AOC have ULMB? Try it with >144fps content. As I know even current 240hz Gsync monitors dont strobe at full 240hz, personally that stopped me from buying 240hz gsync because I wanted full hertz strobing.

Both Gsync and strobing can look good one by one, but I beleive it highly depends on two things: content you want your monitor to be best at, and your sensitivity to blur OR tearing.
Strobing usually look good with extremely high framerate content (higher than refresh rate, like 200+fps). Also at that high framerates and 240hz, tearing is much less visible and annoying then on 60fps+60hz.
There is also a software option (nvidia fast sync) which can be used with strobing at 240hz simultaneously and fully eliminate tearing with a little inputlag cost.
Personally I remember old good CRT days and always were a player with high fps content, so I'm not sensible for tearing BUT im sensible to motion blur because I remember and love CRTs.

I think I've blown your mind :) but that's my knowledge about that case, I was on the market for new monitor for last 3 years or so.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2018, 15:05

lexlazootin wrote:Omg my backlight bleed is so bad Xxdxdxdxd. The monitor next to it is a DELL IPS that looks pretty good but you can do the same trick to that monitor as well. without a reference or exact camera settings, the picture is useless.
That's why review websites have a standardized camera exposure for an apples-vs-apples bleed comparision between different panels.

Overexposure definitely exaggerates, but one can also exaggerate the exposure by an identical amount with an identical camera, to allow accurate monitor-to-monitor comparisons.

Regardless of photo-exaggeration factors, the fact is different monitors are better than others, and even factory run-to-run of the same panel, too (the panel lottery factor).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 16 Mar 2018, 15:21

k2viper wrote:
lexebidar wrote:The LG 27GK750F-B is exactly half the price of Acer Xb252Q
I just googled and was surprised by a fact that XB252 costs more then XB272.
Usually 27" are a bit more expensive.
About gsync (drop it or not), you've got a Gsync monitor right now and willing to return it?
Read about Gsync, how it works, what it does, test it yourself and decide do you want this feature as your primary or you dont mind.
Strobing and VRR (gsync nor freesync) will not work together. Your gsync AOC have ULMB? Try it with >144fps content. As I know even current 240hz Gsync monitors dont strobe at full 240hz, personally that stopped me from buying 240hz gsync because I wanted full hertz strobing.

Both Gsync and strobing can look good one by one, but I beleive it highly depends on two things: content you want your monitor to be best at, and your sensitivity to blur OR tearing.
Strobing usually look good with extremely high framerate content (higher than refresh rate, like 200+fps). Also at that high framerates and 240hz, tearing is much less visible and annoying then on 60fps+60hz.
There is also a software option (nvidia fast sync) which can be used with strobing at 240hz simultaneously and fully eliminate tearing with a little inputlag cost.
Personally I remember old good CRT days and always were a player with high fps content, so I'm not sensible for tearing BUT im sensible to motion blur because I remember and love CRTs.

I think I've blown your mind :) but that's my knowledge about that case, I was on the market for new monitor for last 3 years or so.
I've messed something up. The LG 27GK750F-B is exactly THE SAME price of Acer Xb252Q. And Acer XB272 is 100$ more which I think is worth it for Gsync. The LG 24gm79g is HALF the price of XB252Q. I messed it all up :P
I did had 2 AOC AG251FG, one after another and returned both because of terrible edge lit whole around the monitor backlight bleeding. So I am just looking for something not as shitty.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Mar 2018, 03:52

If the G-sync version of the Alienware 25 is anything like the freesync one, (which I'm almost fully sure, it is) then that's one hellofa good monitor, especially for the price.

Here's a link for my thread on it:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3922

Also, here's my video review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU6XplAT3fw

Would definitely recommend this monitor, just watch the video.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 21 Mar 2018, 13:32

Hey!
Is LG 24GM79G-B a good buy? I will plan to run it at 120 most of times for improved 60fps compatibility (maybe even with 120hz strobing)
Oh whatever, I've ordered the thing. Best be done with it :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Mar 2018, 14:46

Great! Please follow up to let us know your impressions.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 21 Mar 2018, 18:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Great! Please follow up to let us know your impressions.
Now - this is quick but actually they had it right near where I live and I can give impressions after about 2 hours of usage/tweaking.
IT IS A VERY WEIRD screen and I have very mixed feelings but good overall. The build quality is fantastic and so are the looks. The screen is vert nice, stand practical and coating not grainy at all.

What I've noticed that it's a... and that is a stupidest thing to say - but it's a perfect 60hz TN screen. Nice popping colors, no grainy coating. Passes Lagom sharpness, gamma, black squares tests. Only Fails a bit at white checkerboard test. Aside from tests it's completely uniform and black on full black screen image.
Before we get to higher refresh rates:
-Default gamma is gamma2 and it's super wrong. Correct is gamma4 setting which gives perfect 2.2 and it's the ONLY gamma option which does not introduces banding.
-Default Contrast is 70. Any adjustment to it introduces banding in my test images and lagom gradient test. 60 helps with white checkerboard lagom test but ruins gradients.
-Default black stabilizer is 50 out of 100. And this is actually a correct real default setting. 0 crushes all black squares on lagom lcd test and any deviation from 50 introduces gradient banding anyway.
-Full white is uniform and seems really white. not yellow.
-And what surprised me the most is that black screen is completely uniform... like the best I've ever seen. No blb, no clouding. just black. very nice. You can see typical crumbled paper look when You stand above the screen but not when sitting even with eyes above top bezel.

So let me get this straight - Lowered brightness to 10% which is about 120cd.
Default Contrast, default black stabilizer, gamma4, 60HZ and the screen is a dream of 2007 gamer lol... but no changes to it can be made because it ruins the image quality(banding, crush)
I mean seriously - It's an effect no ips could achieve all at once. Deep colors, black blacks, uniform screen without any glow. what is this?!

Now we get to 144hz with all the same settings:
-Gamma lowers. Now it's 1.8/1.9 at the same gamma4 setting.
-Contrast lowers a bit. Essentially black screen is no longer as black but still ok.
-Some backlight bleeding appears near the edges but not much.
And here is the result of ufo test at pure 144. I think it looks very good aside from text. But it is readable in motion. I think my shutter speed was too fast

Now 144hz with strobing - fine as expected

This screen also does strobing at 60hz it seems. I couldn't get a picture but it seems like 3 ufo's overlap.

So is lowering of gamma and contrast a thing to be expected at higher hz?
I am not sure but I might keep the screen just for excellent 60hz experience in movies and slow games and 144hz is good too for some older games. Might be a nice mix of a monitor really.