G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Apr 2018, 14:42

Thats OK!

I also now have an XB252Q in my possession so I am able to do ULMB+GSYNC too, I had known...
But it is always good to hear user success reports!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zazie

Post by Zazie » 11 Apr 2018, 14:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Yes, the ULMB+GSYNC trick should work with that.

Remember, the combined ULMB+GSYNC trick works best only over a tight framerate fluctuation range (e.g. 75Hz-120Hz, or 75Hz-144Hz).
Which technique should I use?

KindOldRaven

Post by KindOldRaven » 11 Apr 2018, 16:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thats OK!

I also now have an XB252Q in my possession so I am able to do ULMB+GSYNC too, I had known...
But it is always good to hear user success reports!
Got a bit overenthusiastic there haha :lol: Had any chance to play around with the XB2 so far? I'm curious to see how others feel about it, since most people seem to go for the ASUS version of this panel or the Alienware one. (After having used all its features in-game my only gripes with it are getting used to gammashift again after the CFG73 and the fact that 240hz on 'normal' OD causes some overdrive artifacts when browsing (scrolling -red) on some website with particular color transitions, including this forum when middle-mouse button scrolling I can see 'white ghosting' (or deep orange in the quote boxes if contrast >>40) behind the black text quite clearly despite 20 brightness, 40 contrast etc. But I'm quite picky.)

On-topic:
I'm trying to mess around with the most stable FPS-cap I can find (RTSS so far) combined with setting High Performance windows mode (stabilizes framerate caps for some reason... learnt that from Battle(non)sense on YouTube) for erhh... SyncStrobe (GStrobe? G-ULMB?) mode.

What do you guys use it for mostly at the moment? I've used it as an easy (but flickery) 60-85hz strobing mode mostly so far and it takes some getting used to but man... This is quite something.
Last edited by KindOldRaven on 12 Apr 2018, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 11 Apr 2018, 22:08

The main fault is that you need a pretty stable fps or else you're going to have problem. I wish i could have it so ULMB will turn off if it drops below 90 fps.

I haven't really tried with Emulators but i bet it would be super dope :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2018, 16:17

I think ULMB 60 Hz is more ideal for emulators than the ULMB+GSYNC hack, unless the emulator framepacing is nearly microsecond-accurate.

Also, I'm corresponding with a few emulator authors to add beam-racing capability (sync between emulator raster & realworld raster), via a new unique lagless VSYNC ON mode a small group of us has successfully come up with (beam-raced tearingless VSYNC OFF)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mds83

Post by mds83 » 20 Apr 2018, 09:25

I see people talk about using only 120hz or 144hz for this hack.

But what about 100 or 85hz? Are their any cons to that? Besides the flicker.

BTW: I have the Dell S2417DG and the +5 VT doesn't work for me anymore (ulmb gets greyed out in the osd). It did a year ago which is odd.
Last edited by mds83 on 20 Apr 2018, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Apr 2018, 09:32

mds83 wrote:I see people talk about using only 120hz or 144hz for this hack.

But what about 100 or 85hz? Are their any cons to that? Besides the flicker.
If g-sync becomes active, the refresh rate is controlled by the frame rate (which is the whole point.) So in 120Hz mode, an FPS cap of 100FPS will give you 100Hz.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vipu

Post by Vipu » 06 May 2018, 19:19

I got ViewSonic XG2703-GS and I totally forgot about this g-sync + ulmb thing and really want to try it.
Not wanting to scroll thru whole thread, is there some ready settings that someone have found that I could just copy?
Or some easy steps what to do to do it myself.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 May 2018, 19:29

Vipu wrote:I got ViewSonic XG2703-GS and I totally forgot about this g-sync + ulmb thing and really want to try it.
Not wanting to scroll thru whole thread, is there some ready settings that someone have found that I could just copy?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883&start=180#p25651
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vipu

Post by Vipu » 07 May 2018, 04:01

RealNC wrote:
Vipu wrote:I got ViewSonic XG2703-GS and I totally forgot about this g-sync + ulmb thing and really want to try it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883&start=180#p25651
I followed those steps but cant get it to work, without CRU.