PUBG stutter issue, smoother without Gsync ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
NastyRabbit

Re: PUBG stutter issue, smoother without Gsync ?

Post by NastyRabbit » 13 Apr 2018, 10:15

Thx for explanations I missunderstood what tearing is. Still I don't really noticed it with or without G sync.

I installed 2 months old drivers today, still the same issue.

I tried FH3 with about the same fps range it feels buttery smooth so yeah it probably has something to do with PUBG.
Thing is overall performance is good and I don't get why I don't see no difference with Gsync on or off. In this fps range (100 to 140) on a 144Hz monitor Gsync should feel like a massive improvement, at least it does on other games.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 13 Apr 2018, 12:48

Because the problem is frame times, not framerate.

Lets say your computer is rendering 100 frames per second, each frame takes 10ms to render. Now lets say one of the frames your computer goes to render takes 30ms! that's 3 times longer then a normal frame and it's going to show up as a massive stutter on your screen but because FPS is a average of all of your frames per second it will only cause your FPS value to lower by a few points and not be noticeable.

this is a graph of frame times over a game in PUBG i found on reddit. Even though his average fps Mean and Medium is lower then 60fps (lower frame times are better) he is getting massive 60ms frame times throughout the game.

This can't be fixed by G-Sync because if the frame takes 60ms to render... your monitor can't do anything about it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Apr 2018, 13:28

TL;DR: gsync fixes the microstutter that results from FPS/Hz mismatch. It does not fix game engine stuttering.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

NastyRabbit

Post by NastyRabbit » 13 Apr 2018, 14:22

Wow thank you I didn't even know that it was possible to have engine stutter without fps drop.

The problem is still here but it helps a lot to finally understand it :) I monitored frametimes and I got a lot of 30+ms spikes plus some rare huge 100+ms ones.

Any ideas how to find the faulty software/hardware ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Apr 2018, 15:11

Those gametime spikes are a big problem.

60ms frametime spikes is equivalent to a momentary 16 frames per second (for one frame)
100ms frametime spikes is equivalent to a momentary 10 frames per second (for one frame)

VRR can't fix those specific frametime spikes. Hopefully the next PUBG patch will fix these.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NastyRabbit

Post by NastyRabbit » 18 Apr 2018, 06:22

Good news, I found a cool fix that remove 90% of the stutter.

For some weird reason even if my memory usage was fine (6 or 7 of 16Gb total) I had 0 free memory. The whole available ram was in standby state. Using EmptyStandbyList executable to free the standby ram made the game smooth again.

There's still some stutter time to time but overall it is day and night.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2018, 12:16

NastyRabbit wrote:Good news, I found a cool fix that remove 90% of the stutter.

For some weird reason even if my memory usage was fine (6 or 7 of 16Gb total) I had 0 free memory. The whole available ram was in standby state. Using EmptyStandbyList executable to free the standby ram made the game smooth again.

Very interesting fix! This one, I presume?
(Looks legit, based on the guy's site).

Not one of your usual computer fixes, but many games does a very poor job of "Garbage Collection" (freeing up memory that is no longer needed) and that is likely a cause of stutter in some modern games, and are utilizing disposable memory inefficiently. The overhead of garbage collection written into some games are sometimes so lazy (keeps unused disposable memory around), that it apparently occasionally ends up more efficient to have external software force-free all the disposable memory instead (start over) to eliminate a game's unoptimized garbage collection logic. Usually it doesn't matter but games handling gigabytes of streaming textures and millions of objects, inefficiencies build up really fast.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mello

Post by mello » 26 Apr 2018, 06:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Not one of your usual computer fixes, but many games does a very poor job of "Garbage Collection" (freeing up memory that is no longer needed) and that is likely a cause of stutter in some modern games, and are utilizing disposable memory inefficiently. The overhead of garbage collection written into some games are sometimes so lazy (keeps unused disposable memory around), that it apparently occasionally ends up more efficient to have external software force-free all the disposable memory instead (start over) to eliminate a game's unoptimized garbage collection logic. Usually it doesn't matter but games handling gigabytes of streaming textures and millions of objects, inefficiencies build up really fast.
Great find ! I remember that i was using O&O Clevercache back in Windows XP days, and it made wonders to overall computer usage (there was no longer need for restarts every now and then). It basically was fixing stutter and sluggishness of the system if your PC was running for days/weeks without restart. I have ditched it once i switched to Windows 7, but it looks like that there still might be benefits to RAM optimization tools after all, even on Win 7 / Win 10 ! I have 32GB of RAM and i have noticed that i have 10-16GB of RAM in standby mode after some time... which i suspect is not good at all. I haven't tested it yet as far as stutter and responsiveness are concerned (games / system / apps) but it is definetly worth looking into.

There are few different ways that you can clear standby memory, you can even put this little exe file on a loop via script or simply by using task scheduler and running it every xx minutes/hours. It definitely might be beneficial in some games / usage scenarios, especially if you don't a lot of RAM in your system.

blackmemory

Post by blackmemory » 10 Aug 2018, 18:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

man you saved my life... this exe remove my stutter from all games at 90% like you... thank you so much... but you found any solution for 100% smooth game?

blackmemory

Post by blackmemory » 10 Aug 2018, 18:02

man you saved my life... this exe remove my stutter from all games at 90% like you... thank you so much... but you found any solution for 100% smooth game?