Shopping advice for my poor eyes :)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ttteee

Shopping advice for my poor eyes :)

Post by ttteee » 23 Feb 2014, 07:43

Hello,
First of all I have to express my compliments to the admin of the site for his great job.
I'm looking to buy a new monitor, decided for a benq 2420T but then found out that the new Z series recently came out.
Since they apparently have a firmware bug I may consider also solutions from other maufacturers if this is not quickly sorted out.
I use the PC almost all day to work (mostly internet browsing and charting platforms) so my top priority is something really easy and comfortable for my eyes, I prefer 24" but also 27" would be acceptable.
I also use the PC for gaming but I'm not an hardcore pro FPS player, so I'm not concerned about top performance in videogames.
Budget is not an issue (as long it's not something crazy expensive) since this is a long term investment for me.

At the moment I'm waiting to see the 2420Z issues resolved, so let me know any potential alternatives!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Shopping advice for my poor eyes :)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2014, 15:01

Sometime around March, and when the Blur Busters Strobe Utility gets released, it will be safer to purchase the Z-series if you're worried about the strobe issue.

If you do not wish to wait, or you want some other options, have you considered these options:
- BENQ XL2420TE -- includes eye-friendly modes (ZeroFlicker, low blue light)
- Eizo Foris FG2421 -- near IPS-quality color thats nice for non-gaming too
- ASUS ROG PG278Q, coming soon. 2560x1440p monitor with ULMB strobe backlight and GSYNC mode. First 1440p monitor with a LightBoost-like mode!

Keep in mind you have the panel pros/cons, such as low color quality in strobe mode (LightBoost) on many TN monitors. It's important to do homework to be familiar with what your eyes will be the most annoyed about -- blur during scrolling/panning/strafing/turning, versus color quality, resolution, etc. I know people who are escastic about TN LightBoost, while others are dissappointed by it, etc.

Sincerely,
Mark Rejhon
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ttteee

Post by ttteee » 24 Feb 2014, 03:27

Hello Mark, thank you so much for your reply. Unfortuately I can't test the display first hand until I'll buy them. I'm in Italy and retailers usually carry just generic monitors.
At this point I think I'll go with the Eizo you suggested, do you find it easy on your eyes? I researched the forum a bit and found out that it's a great monitor performance wise but didn't find any mention about eventual eyestrain

Anyway I'm coming from a 2006 LCD terra monitor, so I think that pretty much any HD display will be a huge improvement quality-wise, that's why I'm looking for maximum comfort first

shadman

Post by shadman » 24 Feb 2014, 11:41

Usually what I've seen people say is that there are different sensitivities people have when people have sensitive eyes.
One sensitivity might be from flickering PWM lighting, while others are just fine from that but are sensitive to the immense motion blurring of 60Hz LCD.

Depending on which sensitivity you say you might have would usually help to know exactly which monitor you might want to choose. Though, I have heard good things about the Eizo.

ttteee

Post by ttteee » 24 Feb 2014, 12:41

Thank you Shadman, I almost made up my mind about the Eizo.The BenQ xl2420te was looking good but being in europe I can't find any seller that guarantee the shipping of xl2420t rev 2.0 (overclockers uk unfortunately does not ship to Italy)

My eyes are not really that sensitive so I don't know what they're suffering most, they generally feels tired after long sessions, sometimes with a light headache. Since being on the pc almost all day and having a severe myopia I decided that my eyes needed something better.

I'll probably order it in the next weeks and report here when I'll set it up :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2014, 12:52

I find that the EIZO FG2421 is pretty relaxing to stare at for long periods. It runs at 120Hz refresh rate (smoother motion, less motion blur). It uses PWM-free dimming in regular mode (if you have flicker eyestrain), and it has the Turbo240 (even less motion blur, if you get fatigue from motion blur). You do have some non-uniformity issues in dark greys, but as we all know, panel technologies have their own quirks that ends up a pick-your-own-poison effect (e.g. TN viewing angle, TN poor color, VA gamma nonuniformity, IPS motion blur, IPS glow, etc). As it currently stands, the EIZO FG2421 is the currently only PWM-free 120Hz monitor that's NOT a TN panel. (the QNIX overclockables have PWM dimming) so you are making an excellent choice if you want to reduce your eyestrain while also entering the 120Hz monitor world, and don't need the extra size/resolution, and also want the strobe-backlight option (Turbo240).

It's up to you where you prefer to buy from. That said, you're welcome to order EIZO FG2421 from Amazon Italy. (Shopping Amazon via clicking Amazon links found on Blur Busters, automatically supports Blur Busters).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ttteee

Post by ttteee » 25 Feb 2014, 04:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It's up to you where you prefer to buy from. That said, you're welcome to order EIZO FG2421 from Amazon Italy. (Shopping Amazon via clicking Amazon links found on Blur Busters, automatically supports Blur Busters).
I'll probably order it from amazon (I've not found any significant deal elsewhere) and I would be happy to use your link in order to support you and the site/forum.
It's really deserved, your articles and the support you provide on the forum is really great (especially for someone like me that just a month ago didn't know about all this stuff)

ttteee

Post by ttteee » 11 Mar 2014, 03:37

Received my Eizo from a few days (hope you got the commission!), so far I'm really satisfied as it responds to my needs

-Great customization possibility
-Very nice and bright colors
-The extra workspace is amazing, huge improvement for my working environment, bigger charts !!!
-So far it looks easy on my eyes
-With games I'm not perceiving a huge upgrade but I just made a quick test with diablo 3, anyways it looks very nice and crisp coming from a non HD monitor. Will try some fps when I have more time

Thank you again Mark for guiding me in this decision, the Eizo is pricey but I can already tell that it will stay on my desk for a long time (at least until 4k will be mandatory :))

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 15:00

ttteee wrote:so far I'm really satisfied as it responds to my needs
ttteee wrote:Thank you again Mark for guiding me in this decision, the Eizo is pricey but I can already tell that it will stay on my desk for a long time (at least until 4k will be mandatory :))
Great -- thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you like your new EIZO FG2421 monitor!