OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
reqq

OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Post by reqq » 08 May 2018, 09:51

Hi if i use a gsync monitor with an amd card will that bypass the gsync module or will the signal go through it? Just wondering if it possible for nvidia to code a disadvantage monitor behavior if the module detects an amd card :) Just bought a gsync monitor but will use it for the time being with my amd card.

lol

thanks.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Post by RealNC » 08 May 2018, 09:56

It will use the g-sync module, since it's not just there for g-sync, but it replaces the monitor scaler completely. There are no ill effects.

Other benefits of the g-sync module still apply, regardless of the GPU you use (like NVidia's very good overdrive implementation.) Not sure if ULMB (motion blur reduction) will still work on AMD though.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 May 2018, 17:44

ULMB does not work with AMD.

It needs to detect an NVIDIA card to unlock GSYNC and ULMB features. Without it, it just behaves as an ordinary fixed-Hz 240Hz monitor.

The good overdrive will still apply but you won't derive variable refresh rate or blur reduction benefits.

There is no lag disadvantage -- fixed-Hz does not get increased lag compared to other fixed-Hz monitors and you will often get lower lag than from more generic 240Hz monitors. A bonus is you won't get frameskipping like those found in some buggy 240Hz monitors (e.g. the early AOC 240Hz non-GSYNC monitor or the early ACER 240Hz non-GSYNC monitor). So the NVIDIA testing does debug your monitor well, even if you don't gain the GSYNC/ULMB feature. To be fair to AMD, I can say AMD FreeSync2 testing does a good job too. So you've already gained some maturity advantages over some early 240Hz monitors from almost two years ago.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

reqq

Post by reqq » 09 May 2018, 08:52

thanks