Need advice for monitor.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
mark88da

Need advice for monitor.

Post by mark88da » 18 May 2018, 09:31

Hello great people at Blur Busters.

So i'm looking for a 27 inch monitor that have ips and nvidia gsync. I have looked a whole lot at the acer predator XB271HU, but its just a but too expensive. i'm also fine with getting a used monitor. Here in Denmark it cost around 900$ for a new one and 630$ for a used one for that model. I would like it to cost around 700$ for a new one. So do any of you guys have any advice what other screen i could get? i low input lag and and hopefully good colors.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Need advice for monitor.

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2018, 10:45

There's 4 different monitors that use this panel: Acer XB271HU, AOC AG271QG, Asus PG279Q and ViewSonic XG2703-GS. Prices and deals for these can vary wildly. So look them all up and see if you can find a deal on one of them.

If you can't find a good deal, then you can probably go for a TN 1440p 27" gsync monitor instead, like the Dell S2716DG. I haven't checked all available 27" TN 144Hz (or higher) g-sync monitors out there, but I would suggest to get a model that was made in 2016 or later. There seems to be a flicker issue with older TN g-sync monitors (2015 and older).

Input lag is very low with all g-sync monitors, regardless of whether they use a TN or IPS panel.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mark88da

Post by mark88da » 18 May 2018, 11:08

Allright thanks! But the the TN panels looks worse then IPS right? Because then i wont get the TN monitors.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2018, 11:43

Well, not all TN monitors are terrible. IPS does have better color accuracy, no gamma or contrast shift issues, and much better viewing angles, but TN on the other hand doesn't have the "IPS glow" issue. IPS glow is this:

(This is a photo taken by PRAD.)

TN monitors do not have this issue.

I have a ViewSonic XG2703-GS, and this is indeed an issue. Personally, I prefer IPS glow compared to TN gamma and contrast shift, but that's subjective.

As for colors, TN monitors aren't that terrible. Subjective color quality can be very good with TN monitors too. It's the objective color quality that's better on IPS. Meaning: TN can have colors that appear to be really good, even though they're not as accurate as IPS. Which is fine, as long as you don't need to any work with the monitor that actually requires correct colors (like photography and printing.)

Now with that being said, there are some TN "gaming monitors" out there that really are absolutely terrible (*cough* AOC *cough*). However, g-sync TN monitors seem to be rather good overall. Non-gsync monitors can be terrible. You can look up some of the trusted and capable reviewers out there and what they have to say about the 27" 1440p TN gsync monitors. My recommended reviewers are:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk
https://pcmonitors.info
https://www.prad.de

(I'm split on Tom's Hardware.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mark88da

Post by mark88da » 18 May 2018, 12:01

ok thanks! I will research my way through then. But thank you very much!

mark88da

Post by mark88da » 18 May 2018, 12:30

Ohh btw, how important is ULMB when you have g-sync? Does it really matter then? The effect are minimal on 120 frames or higher right?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2018, 13:57

ULMB cannot be used together with g-sync. It's one or the other, unless you enable a hidden ULMB+gsync hack, which doesn't work well anyway.

To me, g-sync is more important than ULMB, but that's subjective. Note though that for ULMB to work best, you need a TN panel. IPS (or VA) panels do not work that well with ULMB (they have more crosstalk compared to TN.)

mark88da

Post by mark88da » 18 May 2018, 14:23

The Acer Predator XB271HUA 553$ right now, so that's a good deal if that's a good monitor. What do you say, can you recommend it? Some plus and bad sides?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2018, 17:03

I don't recommend specific monitors to people, since I haven't used them myself. All I can do is tell you what your options are, and what they mean.

There don't seem to be any tests/reviews for this monitor, so your guess is as good as mine anyway :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2018, 17:15

mark88da wrote:The Acer Predator XB271HUA 553$ right now, so that's a good deal if that's a good monitor. What do you say, can you recommend it? Some plus and bad sides?
For Acer XB271HUA versus XB271HU...

The HUA is a TN monitor. Just so you confirm.

You want the HU which is an IPS panel.

For panel type, check List of GSYNC Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!