The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Post by RealNC » 23 May 2018, 20:24

lexlazootin wrote:It doesn't have a option

If you edit in CRU you will get a non scaled image in the middle or top-left of the screen.
Well, I guess there are monitors that don't do scaling at all whatsoever then. Which is weird, because you at least need 640x480 or so to boot the PC...

Or it could be a bug. I've heard some people saying that a Windows update made the "display" option disappear.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 May 2018, 03:16

I never had it on my XL2420G or 240hz Acer 25”

Idk maybe windows 10? But what makes you say you NEED it?

KKNDT

Post by KKNDT » 24 May 2018, 10:11

I will never pay such premium price for an IPS without glow reduction polarizer. IMO, a polarizer should always be used with high end IPS panel unless the maker does not have this tech.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2018, 10:29

IPS glow and backlight bleed has far less effect on local dimming panels, isn't it?

From what I read, IPS glow and/or backlight bleed is amplified by edgelights -- this monitor doesn't have an edgelight, with all 384 zones directly behind the panel -- so I'm curious about the uniformity risks associated with local dimming.

We've never had this many zones of local dimming in a consumer monitor before, so this is a good question to get answered!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 May 2018, 12:54

lexlazootin wrote:I never had it on my XL2420G or 240hz Acer 25”

Idk maybe windows 10? But what makes you say you NEED it?
For booting up the computer. Many computers don't have modern UEFI features that set the monitor to native res. Or there's only BIOS, which uses old, MS-DOS compatible resolutions.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 24 May 2018, 13:17

KKNDT wrote:I will never pay such premium price for an IPS without glow reduction polarizer. IMO, a polarizer should always be used with high end IPS panel unless the maker does not have this tech.
There is an issue with polarizers on IPS; slight viewing angle reduction. They can create a color shift (red/green) off-angle as well. They do get rid of the glow though.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:IPS glow and backlight bleed has far less effect on local dimming panels, isn't it?
One downside of FALD with IPS over VA (I'd know, I own an old 42" FALD IPS set, only 120 zones though) is more blooming due to the panel glow on IPS. With a good algorithim/enough zones, this can be countered, but it is an issue.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 May 2018, 10:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:From what I read, IPS glow and/or backlight bleed is amplified by edgelights -- this monitor doesn't have an edgelight, with all 384 zones directly behind the panel -- so I'm curious about the uniformity risks associated with local dimming.

We've never had this many zones of local dimming in a consumer monitor before, so this is a good question to get answered!
Forgot to address this, but yes, there is a uniformity risk with FALD: the FALD "grid." Sometimes the invidiual rows of LEDs that make up the backlight grid can be seen as vertical bands, which can cause a sort of DSE (dirty screen effect), especially in lighter content during pans.

Like here on my 2010 FALD set (unfortunately had to go through three before I got one acceptable enough in this respect; the below was my second and worst replacement):

And here, the FALD grid DSE can be seen on the recently released Q9FN, which has 480 zones (timestamped to 4:11):

phpBB [video]

With these monitors only being 27" and having so many zones, hopefully this will be minimal to negligible, but we'll see.

Blooming artifacts and zone visibility on FALD sets, no matter how good, also become very apparent on off angles, especially extreme ones. But this shouldn't be a problem for these monitors, as they almost always will be viewed straight-on.

Since these are probably going to cost as much or more than I spent for my 55" OLED last year, I'm going to pass for now and see how well this tech in monitors last and/or matures. It will also be interesting to see if there are even going to be enough early adopters of these monitors to justify their existence going forward. Time will tell.

Promising nonetheless.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2018, 15:54

This reminds me of the dirty-grey effect of VA panels (murky grey field effect). Thanks for following up.

It'll be interesting to see how much flaws are revealed by local dimming.

OLEDs have their own issues too such as uniformity, although that has affected the larger ones (e.g. 65" and 75" more), and it will be interesting how the issues compare. This is the rarefied area of "videophile in a desktop format" -- an almost unexplored territory since the Sony FW900 CRT era.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!