Monitor Recommendations

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
POB

Monitor Recommendations

Post by POB » 02 Jun 2018, 17:18

Been attempting to research this for a few days now, and getting to the point where there are so many choices and features that paralysis by analysis is setting in. There are some knowledgeable folks here, and this is one of the only Xbox One-centric forums so this seemed to be as good as any place to ask.

What monitors currently on the market would be a good starting point to purchase now to ensure once 120 hz and FreeSync are live for everyone, that you can best take advantage of them?

Key points:

- Dedicated console monitor, no need to also use for PC gaming -
- Xbox One S -
- Primarily FPS and faster paced titles such as Rocket League, competitive in nature so preferably somewhere in the 1-2 ms range -
- 24 inch, standard esports setup -
- Currently using an older, 60 hz 1080p monitor that has some backlight bleeding going on, so this presents both an immediate upgrade and an opportunity to future proof this dedicated monitor

Any help at all would be appreciated. Even browsing the monitors list isn't a tremendous point of clarity on this, it would be nice to simply have 3-4 options or key features tossed out to help make the best decision possible.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor Recommendations

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2018, 17:32

If you don't care about a few milliseconds more lag (extremely minor VA lag instead of near-lagless TN) then I'm feeling pretty good about the Samsung CHG70 series for desktop XBox One use. Even if laggier than TN panels (poorer colors), the new Samsung quantum dot FreeSync monitors have less lag than HDTVs.

-- Some of the best colors I've seen in a gaming monitor under $1000
-- HDR with quantum dot backlight
-- Excellent 120Hz blur reduction mode (if game is running 120fps)
-- FreeSync support
-- One of the only monitor manufacturers to provide user-firmware upgradeable desktop monitors!

Samsung C27HG70 - 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz FreeSync
Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz FreeSync

If you're concerned about high quality and futureproofing for quite a while, these are pretty comfortable choices.

Now, if you're a console competitive/eSports player, and need TN instead of VA quality -- then you may have a preference towards a TN panel...and that does get to be a little bit of a tougher choice because of a huge array of options depending on your priorities.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jun 2018, 02:52

POB wrote:- Dedicated console monitor, no need to also use for PC gaming -
- Xbox One S -
- Primarily FPS and faster paced titles such as Rocket League, competitive in nature so preferably somewhere in the 1-2 ms range -
You do not need 1-2ms response times in this case. This is only useful for motion blur reduction modes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

POB

Post by POB » 03 Jun 2018, 11:30

This is exactly the quandary I am in, because almost all of the monitors I have been reviewing are TN panels. I'd like to stick to 24-inch panels as well, anything larger is too large to effectively and quickly see corner to corner for me and increases the price point.

Yesterday, I was stuck mainly on the ASUS MG248QR and ASUS VG248QE model lines. It's just nearly impossible for a layman such as myself to confidently know for instance that, yes in fact HMDI 1.4 can transmit 120 hz for Xbox One S/X, it seems the more places you look the more varied the answers become.

I'm aware there will always be some check boxes left unchecked when you are searching like this, but for TN panels anything you'd kick the tires on?

Appreciate the help.

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you don't care about a few milliseconds more lag (extremely minor VA lag instead of near-lagless TN) then I'm feeling pretty good about the Samsung CHG70 series for desktop XBox One use. Even if laggier than TN panels (poorer colors), the new Samsung quantum dot FreeSync monitors have less lag than HDTVs.

-- Some of the best colors I've seen in a gaming monitor under $1000
-- HDR with quantum dot backlight
-- Excellent 120Hz blur reduction mode (if game is running 120fps)
-- FreeSync support
-- One of the only monitor manufacturers to provide user-firmware upgradeable desktop monitors!

Samsung C27HG70 - 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz FreeSync
Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz FreeSync

If you're concerned about high quality and futureproofing for quite a while, these are pretty comfortable choices.

Now, if you're a console competitive/eSports player, and need TN instead of VA quality -- then you may have a preference towards a TN panel...and that does get to be a little bit of a tougher choice because of a huge array of options depending on your priorities.

POB

Post by POB » 03 Jun 2018, 11:40

What I should have probably clarified is that I am assuming the lower, 1-2 ms monitors also have lower input lag times as well. I'm aware that merely in terms of perception, a 4 ms difference is going to be harder (if not impossible) to discern in non-racing games (unless you are one of those insane 13-year olds who plays on max sensitivity where basic movements look like motion blur) but my main goal is to avoid any noticeable delay feel wise or visually.
RealNC wrote:
POB wrote:- Dedicated console monitor, no need to also use for PC gaming -
- Xbox One S -
You do not need 1-2ms response times in this case. This is only useful for motion blur reduction modes.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jun 2018, 12:15

POB wrote:What I should have probably clarified is that I am assuming the lower, 1-2 ms monitors also have lower input lag times as well. I'm aware that merely in terms of perception, a 4 ms difference is going to be harder (if not impossible) to discern in non-racing games (unless you are one of those insane 13-year olds who plays on max sensitivity where basic movements look like motion blur) but my main goal is to avoid any noticeable delay feel wise or visually.
Pixel response time does not affect input lag.

The monitors you're thinking of are useful for things like CS:GO on PC where you get frame rates of 300FPS or above. You are using a controller, and on top of that your games are not going to even reach 60FPS most of the time.

Input lag on the XBox One is so high that the monitor's latency isn't even a consideration anymore. *ANY* gaming monitor will give you pretty much the same results. This test might be of interest to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLY0nRzwUHY

TL;DR: Choose the monitor with the best features and image quality, do not consider "milliseconds", they do not matter here.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2018, 15:19

RealNC wrote:Pixel response time does not affect input lag.
It's not as simple as that.

It certainly does affect GtG10% and GtG90% input lag. (Basically input lag to the GtG10% point, and input lag to GtG90%) Arguably, it's input lag to the point where the retinas has collected enough photons for a human to begin reacting. It's hard to standardize an electronic measurement to this, but typically it's close to the territory of GtG10%-GtG50%.

It all depends on how a website measures input lag. In some lag benchmarks, panel type does not make a difference, but in other lag benchmarks, it most certainly does.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

richdot

Post by richdot » 06 Jun 2018, 04:26

I would highly recommend the Asus VG245 on my experience.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2018, 13:45

richdot wrote:I would highly recommend the Asus VG245 on my experience.
You tested FreeSync with this monitor on the XB1?

richdot

Post by richdot » 06 Jun 2018, 14:57

Yeah got freesync on, monitor plays awesome with Xbox one X