Acer Predator X27 - Fan Warning

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
striker444

Acer Predator X27 - Fan Warning

Post by striker444 » 12 Jun 2018, 15:27

Hello everyone,

I wanted to put out a warning to anyone considering purchasing the Acer Predator X27 that it comes with a fan (not a good one at that). For $2k you would have thought they would have spent a bit more time on doing it right. I purchased mine last week, plugged it in, bam instant bad fan. Even took a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIaC-vlMl84

mello

Re: Acer Predator X27 - Fan Warning

Post by mello » 12 Jun 2018, 15:38

Bad luck man. Either poor QC or it happened during transport/shipping. And i expect to see more problems exactly like this one. And sadly, this might happen later, after few weeks, months or years (too much dust / too high temp over time) when you no longer have waranty. Similar thing to what happens with GPUs fan sometimes.

PS: Vega already mentioned a fan in the cons section of his review of Acer X27 here, so this problem popping up was inevitable. And for $2000 monitor they should have thought about it before it went into production, and maybe an easy way to get access to fan for a replacement or something.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2018, 11:49

Ouch.

384 LEDs capable of 1000 nits HDR can generate quite a lot of heat, so I'm not surprised they had to add a fan -- but obviously, if it is that bad, I think it's definitely an RMA. Exchange it with a new one.

That said, I agree: A $2000 monitor should have the best fan available. Hopefully they quickly remedy this. Vega appears to like this display very much!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 13 Jun 2018, 12:23

I think I'm a select few that actually likes the look of heat sinks but imagine if they did the back of the monitor in a full black aluminum heat sink that dissipated the heat of the LEDs

That would be dope. :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Jun 2018, 12:52

Water cooling for monitors incoming. It's going to look like hoses are going in and out of your monitor :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.