FastSync RTSS vs In Game FPS Limit?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Litzner

FastSync RTSS vs In Game FPS Limit?

Post by Litzner » 13 Jun 2018, 07:30

I have a ASUS VG248QE that I am using Lightboost on. Right now I am running FastSync with a RTSS frame limit set to just a smidgen less then the measured refresh rate of my monitor. Would it be better to use a in game frame limiter? The game I am playing the most right now doesn't seem to have a very accurate or stable frame limiter, it will fluctuate a couple FPS in either direction. If I should use the in game limiter instead of RTSS, should it be less then or more then the refresh rate of the monitor? Also, should I reduce my FPS\refresh to the point where FPS doesn't fluctuate, or should I run at the highest refresh available? (Exsample : Limit to 100fps if 100fps is the lowest my game drops to in intensive situations.)

Also, is it time to replace my VG248QE for a GSync\FreeSync display, or should I wait until the end of this year for these 240hz 0.5ms delay GSync panels I have been hearing about?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: FastSync RTSS vs In Game FPS Limit?

Post by RealNC » 13 Jun 2018, 09:59

Litzner wrote:Would it be better to use a in game frame limiter?
I'm not aware of in-game frame limiters that can be accurate to 0.00n FPS. RTSS is the best limiter you can use for this purpose. I assume you're following the low-latency vsync guide where you cap your FPS to 0.01FPS below refresh rate? See:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

and:

https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 13 Jun 2018, 10:04

RealNC wrote:I assume you're following the low-latency vsync guide where you cap your FPS to 0.01FPS below refresh rate?
Yes I am, I think I am getting a lot of extra cpu load using that method though, as I am seeing near max cpu usage now. Which made me curious about in-game limiting and what it would look like combined with fast sync. What I likely need is a new monitor that supports gsync and hopefully use that with a Gsync+ULMB hack\glitch and a frame limiter to get the best of low input lag and motion clarity.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Jun 2018, 10:11

Litzner wrote:
RealNC wrote:I assume you're following the low-latency vsync guide where you cap your FPS to 0.01FPS below refresh rate?
Yes I am, I think I am getting a lot of extra cpu load using that method though, as I am seeing near max cpu usage now.
This is normal. The CPU load is fake, because it's just RTSS blocking the game, doing nothing, in order to achieve very accurate timing for the frame limiter. Using timers (like in-game limiters do) is not very accurate. Blocking and waiting in a do-nothing infinite loop is very accurate.

This kind of CPU load doesn't consume power, nor raise temps. It's really just an empty infinite loop. (It does keep the CPU from powering down, but you don't want that to happen while gaming anyway.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 13 Jun 2018, 10:33

RealNC wrote:This is normal. The CPU load is fake, because it's just RTSS blocking the game, doing nothing, in order to achieve very accurate timing for the frame limiter. Using timers (like in-game limiters do) is not very accurate. Blocking and waiting in a do-nothing infinite loop is very accurate.

This kind of CPU load doesn't consume power, nor raise temps. It's really just an empty infinite loop. (It does keep the CPU from powering down, but you don't want that to happen while gaming anyway.)
Thanks, I didn't realize that this is how the RTSS frame limiting works!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2018, 11:45

Tiny grain of nitpick, but -- on some CPU platforms, there is a possible slight increase in power consumption with the brief-busyloop techniques necessarily used for precision, but it's relatively minor. That said, others have the ability to do precision nanosleeps (precision sleeping). Many lower-power techniques now exist to do precision at low-power, but it can consume more power on some older platforms. So YMMV for the power requirements of precision framepacing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!