I need help [Buying 120Hz FreeSync to get lower XBOX lag]

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
ITALIAN

Re: I need help [Buying 120Hz FreeSync to get lower XBOX lag

Post by ITALIAN » 25 Jun 2018, 10:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I am very interested to see how it behaves with XBox FreeSync. Keep us updated!
Will do! It arrives today.

ITALIAN

Post by ITALIAN » 25 Jun 2018, 15:09

A few things...

1) There is no freesync option on my console settings and I don't know if that's because my monitor doesn't support it over HDMI or not. I would think that it would be greyed out or something if it wasn't supported, but it's not even listed there at all. I'm in the delta category of insider club.

2) I haven't had a chance to dive into pvp yet but at the moment 60hz on this doesn't feel any slower than 60hz on the benq in terms of input lag.

3) There's some game settings on here that I don't really know or understand so I'm not sure what they should be set to for best performance

4) This monitor is definitely a million times brighter lol

Should dynamic contrast be on or off? And does it effect input lag?

ITALIAN

Post by ITALIAN » 25 Jun 2018, 18:05

After hard resetting the option shows but it's dulled out and I can't enable it. I did some research and talked to some people that own this monitor and it DOES support freesync over hdmi 2.O so I don't understand what the problem is?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Jun 2018, 02:01

XBox doesn't support all freesync monitors. That's why I said it's best to buy one that works with XBox. Have you tried both 60 and 120Hz?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ITALIAN

Post by ITALIAN » 26 Jun 2018, 08:19

RealNC wrote:XBox doesn't support all freesync monitors. That's why I said it's best to buy one that works with XBox. Have you tried both 60 and 120Hz?
I thought you meant a monitor that supports freesync over hdmi 2.0. I thought xbox supported freesync over hdmi 2.0 not freesync to randomly selected monitors only. I don't understand why they would do that? And not even specify it? And not list the selected monitors either? That's all bad lol.

120hz works. I went back and forth between 60hz and 120hz at the console settings page and pressed left/right on options menus and I can feel a decrease in input lag with 120hz enabled. However, when I'm playing a 30fps game I can't really tell. It actually feels like I play worse with 120hz enabled. It almost feels like I'm seeing things later than they happen at times. I need to test it more.

ITALIAN

Post by ITALIAN » 27 Jun 2018, 13:01

So I can't use freesync with this monitor even though this monitor supports 40 up to 240 range freesync over hdmi and if that isn't bad enough 120hz increases input lag while playing a game lol. It's completely useless.

Something else stranger I noticed... When I connected this monitor to my pc and toggled back n forth between the hertz 240hz looks MUCH better than 60hz in terms of picture quality. When it's set to 60hz it looks washed out. I don't understand that.
Last edited by ITALIAN on 27 Jun 2018, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Jun 2018, 13:58

Unless Microsoft adds support for this, then yeah, nothing you can do to enable freesync. Right now, 60Hz freesync monitors appear to be well supported, 120Hz or higher appear to be hit and miss.

It's still in testing phase though. They might add support in the future.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ITALIAN

Post by ITALIAN » 27 Jun 2018, 14:38

RealNC wrote:Unless Microsoft adds support for this, then yeah, nothing you can do to enable freesync. Right now, 60Hz freesync monitors appear to be well supported, 120Hz or higher appear to be hit and miss.

It's still in testing phase though. They might add support in the future.
Do you have any idea why 240hz would have better picture quality than 60hz? The two things are not suppose to be related.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jun 2018, 17:21

ITALIAN wrote:Do you have any idea why 240hz would have better picture quality than 60hz? The two things are not suppose to be related.
They can be, because it represents the amount of time a pixel can be refreshed.

A monitor often can only refresh a few pixels (e.g. 1 pixel row) at a time, and higher Hz means less time for voltage from the monitor electronics to refresh pixel rows.

So picture quality can be different at different Hz. Such as colors, etc. Because of the different amount of time that voltage reaches the pixels at different Hz.

However, in the 240Hz monitor case, the monitor is likely pre-calibrated to operate best at 240Hz (color settings) and may be using a color profile that was calibrated best for 240Hz. Such a 240Hz color-calibration will often look different at 60Hz.

One solution is to re-calibrate. The most automated way is to obtain a colorimeter and re-calibrate for 60Hz. That can get expensive, however -- something done by graphics artists but often overkill for a gamer.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

aconsolepeasant

Post by aconsolepeasant » 25 Jul 2018, 03:59

I own an Xbox One X and had previously owned the Alienware AW2518HF. It's a fantastic monitor, hands down the best looking TN panel I've ever used, with a top notch menu system, and overall design.

The GOOD NEWS is this monitor does support FreeSync with the XBOX ONE X. If the VRR feature on the Xbox menu is showing up but wont let you select it (greyed out), try these two things:

1. In the AW2518HF menu system, under 'Others' category, make sure DDC/CI is turned ON. (Had this issue myself :x)

2. In the Xbox Display Menu, under 'Video fidelity and overscan,' make sure the connection type is selected as HDMI. Make sure you do NOT have 120Hz activated. At this moment, you can't use both 120Hz and FreeSync sadly. I hope they change this soon!

For the BAD NEWS, I sold my AW2518HF because I felt increased/inconsistent input lag due to 240Hz buffer issues as noted by the chief. My game seemed to run more consistent on my Samsung 24" 60Hz PLS monitor!

I hope this helps you out!