[For 120Hz users] Ultrasmooth 120fps Gameplay Videos Thread

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[For 120Hz users] Ultrasmooth 120fps Gameplay Videos Thread

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2013, 14:49

Several weeks ago I posted a blog entry: World's First 1080p Embedded 120fps Video. Before I and Hypermatrix did, nobody embedded a 120fps 1080p video INSIDE a web browser.

Here's the video, now embedded here in this forum:

phpBB [video]

- Play in full screen to get 1080p.
- Requires a 120Hz monitor for best performance.
- Requires ~15Mbps+ connection to play in realtime, otherwise it will buffer first.
- Requires very recent web browser (Windows platforms work best)
- Original 120hz.net thread detailing collaboration between me and Hypermatrix

If it doesn't work properly, you can still right click to download and then play in Mediaplayer HC (good on NVIDIA, not AMD) or in VLC (good on AMD, not NVIDIA). It seems that different video players seem to play with different reliabilities on AMD versus NVIDIA.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ikjadoon

Re: [For 120Hz users] Ultrasmooth 120fps Gameplay Videos Thr

Post by ikjadoon » 25 Dec 2013, 02:38

Niiice. It was really smooth, even on my 100Hz monitor. It took me a second to realize that this was single-player, haha. :D

FWIW, I was getting stutters in VLC (NVIDIA, though), but the embedded browser was perfect. :D

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 25 Dec 2013, 11:17

Very nice work, Mark!

HDxDaniel

Post by HDxDaniel » 25 Dec 2013, 12:28

Would be nice if sites like YouTube allowed upload videos at least at 60 fps.

Neo

Post by Neo » 26 Dec 2013, 13:42

HDxDaniel wrote:Would be nice if sites like YouTube allowed upload videos at least at 60 fps.
I have some thoughts on the subject. ;)
Neo wrote: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &t=20#p369
"...here's a killer "convergence" app use case: full frame-rate, full-quality settings 120 Hz gameplay/tournament videos. HQ versions can be rendered off-line and be used like a VR Machinima Spectator Sport. Gamers must want the video infrastructure for that, and the general public would probably love CGI Gladiators considering how much they pay for CGI rocketsnails and toy cowboys. 8-)"

Any body else interested in high speed display applications like immersive video and generally better user interfaces? Join in!

IRNYT

Post by IRNYT » 26 Dec 2013, 14:45

I use software that interpolates frames in regular (24-30fps) video to get my videos to 120FPS. Not as nice as real 120FPS content of course but it is surprising how well it works.

Neo

Post by Neo » 26 Dec 2013, 19:48

IRNYT wrote:I use software that interpolates frames in regular (24-30fps) video to get my videos to 120FPS. Not as nice as real 120FPS content of course but it is surprising how well it works.

A non-controversial post that seems a bit too non-controversial.

shadman

Post by shadman » 27 Dec 2013, 04:52

HDxDaniel wrote:Would be nice if sites like YouTube allowed upload videos at least at 60 fps.
Not true 60fps, but worth checking out:

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?1573-Ho ... ube-videos

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 13:07

IRNYT wrote:I use software that interpolates frames in regular (24-30fps) video to get my videos to 120FPS. Not as nice as real 120FPS content of course but it is surprising how well it works.
By chance, is that the SmoothVideo Project at http://www.svp-team.com ?
Some of us should discuss our experiences in a new thread, it would be interesting discussion here at Blur Busters!

Obviously, interpolation (also known as "MCFI", "Motionflow", and sometimes called "fake frames") is a contentious topic, but we recognize some people love it, and some people hate it. (Or just like it sometimes -- e.g. only for sports content only, rather than movies.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

IRNYT

Post by IRNYT » 27 Dec 2013, 16:27

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
By chance, is that the SmoothVideo Project at http://www.svp-team.com ?
Some of us should discuss our experiences in a new thread, it would be interesting discussion here at Blur Busters!

Obviously, interpolation (also known as "MCFI", "Motionflow", and sometimes called "fake frames") is a contentious topic, but we recognize some people love it, and some people hate it. (Or just like it sometimes -- e.g. only for sports content only, rather than movies.)
Yes, I use the SVP utility. There are a lot of artifacts in the video but the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO.

My understanding of modern video compression is that it uses keyframes and delta information to generate subsequent frames. It seems that arbitrary framerate video would be a logical step from such a setup, and reading the forum thread on madVR (another codec that supports interpolation) this is/was in the process of being implemented.