A 120Hz+ Monitor that has good anti-blur at 60fps?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Nick33BC

A 120Hz+ Monitor that has good anti-blur at 60fps?

Post by Nick33BC » 11 Jul 2018, 04:36

My monitor is a 60Hz BenQ monitor and i want to upgrade to a 120Hz+ (Preferably 144Hz or higher) monitor with anti-blur

I play shooter games at 150-300 frames, So i want to upgrade to a higher refresh rate monitor. But i also play a game that is locked at 60fps. And in this game when the camera is turning i can't focus on the screen without losing focus because of the blur.

My eyes seem to be more sensitive to blur than other peoples. But my mothers decade old Sony TV has anti blur at 60Hz that makes 60fps way smoother and my eyes don't lose focus in the same way. I did tests to make sure. So i know that 60fps anti blur would help me tons. But i need it in a computer monitor. And i do play all games fairly competitively so this is important to me.

I was wanting to buy the BenQ XL2735 because it's a pretty good price where i am. But people say at 60Hz it double strobes. At 144Hz if i play 60fps locked games on it would it have this problem?

And i am expecting the BenQ to not be great for 60fps, So if that's the case what would be a good 120Hz+ monitor for anti blur at all frame rates? Higher resolutions, Good viewing angles and great colours are not needed. I just need smooth vision for gaming. With 950AUD/700USD budget.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: A 120Hz+ Monitor that has good anti-blur at 60fps?

Post by RealNC » 11 Jul 2018, 04:48

In TVs, blur reduction converts 60FPS to 120FPS and then does 120Hz backlight strobing. This is not done on monitors. Blur reduction on monitors will use backlight strobing but will never converts the frame rate of the input.

So what you're looking for is a monitor with 60Hz strobing. Currently, many G-Sync monitors that do ULMB strobing can be tweaked to activate ULMB at 60Hz. By default, ULMB is only allowed at 85Hz and higher because at 60Hz the flicker is very severe. However, this tweak is not officially supported and thus it's not guaranteed to work on all monitors.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Nick33BC

Post by Nick33BC » 11 Jul 2018, 05:14

RealNC wrote: So what you're looking for is a monitor with 60Hz strobing. Currently, many G-Sync monitors that do ULMB strobing can be tweaked to activate ULMB at 60Hz. By default, ULMB is only allowed at 85Hz and higher because at 60Hz the flicker is very severe. However, this tweak is not officially supported and thus it's not guaranteed to work on all monitors.
Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have any list of ULMB monitors that would work well for this? I am thinking of getting the Acer XB271HUA with 120Hz ULMB then.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Jul 2018, 05:33

I don't have a list of monitors that support this tweak. Mine works (XG2703-GS) as should other monitors with the same panel, but it's an IPS which I don't recommend for 60Hz ULMB. TN monitors would work better for this purpose. But the only sure way to find out if the monitor supports it, is to try it yourself or find someone else who has this monitor and ask them if it works.

The actual tweak and how to do it, is described here:

https://www.blurbusters.com/60hz-ulmb-hack-howto
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Nick33BC

Post by Nick33BC » 11 Jul 2018, 05:56

Thank you for the information. You have been a great help already. But i do want to know, Do you think there will ever be a way to make the BenQ XL2735 work well with 60Hz anti-blur? Because the BenQ would be better for me than the other monitors near the price.