G-SYNC and Dolphin (gamecube/wii emulator)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TSM

G-SYNC and Dolphin (gamecube/wii emulator)

Post by TSM » 27 Feb 2014, 01:02

If anyone was trying to get g-sync working with dolphin, I figured out how to engage it. It only works with the OpenGL back end. You have to make sure the "Use Fullscreen" and "Keep window on top" boxes are checked. The only issue is that dolphin will not gracefully exit emulation when you are done. You hit escape to end emulation, then you can't see the pop up asking you if you want to exit, but you can hit either enter or the space bar. If you are stuck on a black screen, hit ctrl-alt-del. You can then just hit escape to exit back to your desktop.

Two things:
1) This is under windows 8.1
2) I'm not sure if this is working with 4.0.2, but it's working with the latest development versions.

Solar

Re: G-SYNC and Dolphin (gamecube/wii emulator)

Post by Solar » 28 Feb 2014, 14:39

How well did it work? I haven't used Dolphin in years, but i remember it being very CPU dependent.

TSM

Post by TSM » 28 Feb 2014, 21:09

The emulator keeps focusing on accuracy, so it's actually more demanding on your cpu these days.

Zazie

Post by Zazie » 22 Dec 2018, 12:00

Cemu does not work with gsync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2018, 19:37

Zazie wrote:Cemu does not work with gsync?
AFAIK, I think it does if you run it in exclusive fullscreen mode. That said, I haven't tried Cemu lately.

It's not particularly difficult for emulator authors to implement GSYNC support.

<TECHNICAL/>
For emulator developers, all GSYNC/FreeSync is they just need to do perfect framepacing. Basically, from a programmer's perspective, thats the Direct3D Present() and OpenGL glutSwapBuffers() because refresh cycles are software API driven -- the API call actually directly triggers the display refresh cycles, so calling Present() 40 times a second = monitor is 40Hz. Present() 54 times a second = the monitor is 54Hz. Quite easy, forget about synchronizing to the monitor, the monitor is synchronizing to the software developer! (Not all emulator authors are fully aware that they're master of the refresh cycle and the VRR display is slaving to the software). Just use a high precision timer or microsecond-accurate busylooping to time your exact moment of frame presentation.
</TECHNICAL>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zazie

Post by Zazie » 22 Dec 2018, 19:48

Once it worked, it does not work anymore!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2018, 20:11

Zazie wrote:Once it worked, it does not work anymore!
Oh, hmm. You should report this to the author. It needs to be exclusive fullscreen, rather than borderless fullscreen windowed.

Perfect framerate-Hz accuracy is part of emulation accuracy, so that's a good excuse.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!