Nvidia GPU GTX 20XX Series likely revealed @ Gamescom 20th

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
darzo

Re: Nvidia GPU GTX 20XX Series likely revealed @ Gamescom 20

Post by darzo » 25 Aug 2018, 17:01

September 14 according to what I read.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Aug 2018, 20:59

BattleAxeVR wrote:Lots of people prefer higher quality with lower FPS, actually I would say the majority do.
On consoles maybe. Playing with a controller makes 30FPS tolerable. On PC, give players who use a mouse the choice between ultra-smooth, no lag gameplay, vs stuttery, laggy gameplay that has ultra realistic graphics, and then we'll see what they prefer...

This experiment is happening on console right now, actually. Due to the XBox X, games now started to introduce an option for toggling between "high speed" and "high graphics." But I don't know if game studios will share the data on what the players end up choosing. Got any connections? :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 25 Aug 2018, 21:06

BattleAxeVR wrote:Lots of people prefer higher quality with lower FPS, actually I would say the majority do. There's a point below which most consider things "unplayable" on PC which is often 60 fps, but these early implementations will improve.
Agreed. The proliferation of console games going to 30fps isn't an accident. But, to a lot of people, this is unfathomable. Everything is a trade off. Either we have high resolution, fast update speed, or complicated aesthetics. And quite often one will overtake the other two.

But ultimately, we live in a world where Binding of Isaac is one of the best selling game in steam, so there is only so much we can explain to people.

As for the cards, the Zotac 1080ti deal isn't available anymore, so I will prolly get a 2080.

Oh, and someone mentioned water effects being subpar. I mean, I feel like this will take some experimentation, but it should look a lot better than now. The best current water effect being Sea of Thieves, but that's heavily stylized.

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 28 Aug 2018, 11:53

RealNC wrote:
BattleAxeVR wrote:Lots of people prefer higher quality with lower FPS, actually I would say the majority do.
On consoles maybe. Playing with a controller makes 30FPS tolerable. On PC, give players who use a mouse the choice between ultra-smooth, no lag gameplay, vs stuttery, laggy gameplay that has ultra realistic graphics, and then we'll see what they prefer...

This experiment is happening on console right now, actually. Due to the XBox X, games now started to introduce an option for toggling between "high speed" and "high graphics." But I don't know if game studios will share the data on what the players end up choosing. Got any connections? :P
Well Fortnite doing 60fps on all consoles is a good push in the right direction from Epic, and I congratulate them for seeing how important it is for FPS games especially.

I'm more interested in VR and don't really care about console third person games any more. But I applaud giving console gamers more choice between higher graphic quality and higher framerate, definitely. E.g. Xbox One allowing you to pick 1080p / 1440p at 120hz instead of 4K60 or 4K30.

I tried doing some initiatives in that direction at a job once, and management nixed it. Basically it was to support native anamorphic rendering (for projector owners) and 21:9 monitors (using letterbox or native res) on console games. Consoles typically can only render 16:9 (policy restrictions from Sony / MS, not technical ones), and to do letterbox they still pass the full frame over the wire, which I consider wasteful, so to support 21:9 monitors you have to use one of the stretch modes, and you might as well only stretch horizontally and render full-frame anamorphic for better image quality. Or perhaps pick letterbox native so that it renders only 75% of the pixels as a normal 16:9 game does meaning you can get 33% higher fillrate, so a smoother game experience. When I suggested why not give gamers the choice between which 21:9 mode they wanted, management balked and said it was too complicated. I will eventually get around to modifying Unreal 4 to support native anamorphic (1.33x horizontal field of view multiplier) so you can do 21:9 on consoles or let anamorphic lens projector users get max quality without any vertical stretching / scaling necessary. Or wasted GPU resources. Right now to render even a PC game for a 16:9 anamorphic projector you have two choices: make a custom letterbox res that uses your display's width in pixels, or its vertical. Both are not ideal. The former loses quality and the latter wastes GPU cycles that you might want for higher framerate. For a UHD projector those two resolutions have huge framerate implications, namely between 3840 x 1620 or 5120 x 2160, the latter is probably out of reach for 60 fps for anything but these latest 2080 Ti cards.

Anyway, sorry for the digression here, but yeah, giving console users more say in how their games render is a good thing. Up to a point. For example, if you play a 30 fps game and are given the choice to disable synthetic motion blur, that is going to look absolutely terrible and choppy.

darzo

Post by darzo » 01 Sep 2018, 02:44

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti ... in-gaming/

35%-45% faster according to the Nvidia guy across the line-ups. This caught my eye:
With that being said, we’re told to expect that the RTX 2080 Ti will show a bigger performance advantage versus the GTX 1080 Ti in comparison to what the RTX 2080 can deliver versus the GTX 1080.
Sounds good to me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rtx-2080-everyt ... d-to-know/

A whole bunch of text that doesn't say much, except I learned that the 2080 ti is apparently gimped, leaving room for a Titan. Those weasels. That Titan won't cost $700-800, by the way. So essentially they just drastically increased the price of the top ti card and moved up its release date. The Titan would have a significantly higher price in comparison to previous gaming Titans and perhaps will be significantly better than the xx80 ti. They removed some of the money-grubbing nonsense they used to do and compensated by hiking up prices. Not the way to gain fanboys, and boy will I enjoy switching if they ever slip up enough. They'll deserve to have some people dancing on their graves.

https://hothardware.com/news/battlefiel ... tx-2080-ti

In this generation ray tracing will be a gimmick. Enjoy pairing up a couple of 2080 tis to see if you can hit 60 fps at 4k in games that support using multiple gpus effectively. Has liquid cooling become necessary for that too?

mello

Post by mello » 01 Sep 2018, 04:22

darzo wrote:https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti ... in-gaming/

35%-45% faster according to the Nvidia guy across the line-ups. This caught my eye:
With that being said, we’re told to expect that the RTX 2080 Ti will show a bigger performance advantage versus the GTX 1080 Ti in comparison to what the RTX 2080 can deliver versus the GTX 1080.
Its still based on their internal testing methods. This will be verified shortly by independent reviewers on release date.
If the guy said 35%-45% we can safely assume that it will be 25%-40% faster, depending on the game.
And of course they will still be able to make improvements via drivers, because i doubt that the performance from RTX cards will be fully utilized on a realease date.

darzo

Post by darzo » 01 Sep 2018, 06:52

Any guesses on when the "hot-clocked" Asus Strix 2080ti would become available? Are the "top end" models of particular cards likely to get held back?

mello

Post by mello » 01 Sep 2018, 07:30

Some "top end" models will either will be available on release date or will be held back a few months at least, but that depends on the manufacturer and their card lineup and their release strategy. The rumor is that 20xx cards will overclock really really well, so there is a possiblity that there will be a stretch in time between the release of overclocked and "top end" models.

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 12 Sep 2018, 15:10

I've got to pick which flavour of RTX 2080 Ti to order. Any suggestions?

I've decided to not do SLI right off the bat, at least until we get some confirmation of games using it for Stereo VR. I also want to make sure that NVLink actually delivers on its promise of doubling the frame buffer as it does in Quadro RTX cards. But that likely won't be confirmed right off the bat because I don't think anybody knows if consumer cards will support using RAM from both cards as one contiguous whole, and NVidia people are being tight-lipped about it.

darzo

Post by darzo » 13 Sep 2018, 02:10

You getting a special source/offer or what? I'm waiting for the Asus Strix 2080 ti, which should be "hot-clocked". I know that their Strix 1080s sold earliest had I think the highest overclocks and were not offered again (1905 vs 1836 for the remaining Strix 1080s, and EVGA and others weren't touching that first figure) so I'm betting on this model having the highest factory overclock too.