gsync questions

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: gsync questions

Post by RealNC » 05 Sep 2018, 04:06

Abiak wrote:Last doubts.
1) If in the future they will add exclusive fullscreen, highest avaible should work, however there are rare situations where highest avaible doesn't work: in this case will it use the game's refresh rate or the desktop's one?
Sometimes it will use the desktop's Hz, sometimes the highest available, sometimes 60Hz. There are no rules, it depends on how the game is programmed.
2) The priority is: highest avaible > game's refresh rate (if it is there and if the game has exclusive fullscreen) > desktop refresh rate, correct?
Yes, for fullscreen games. For windowed borderless games, only the desktop refresh rate is used.
3) I asked these questions because in game I can choose between 143Hz and 144Hz, since windows say it's "143.9" which one should I use? Or doesn't matter (cause I'll block fps at 141)?
If you get an option for 144, use 144. If you only get an option for 143, then use 143.
With the steam fps counter the max fps I can see in this game is 143 but in other games I can see 144 fps.
Well, you can find out for sure if you select 143 for the desktop, and then go here:

https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

What does it say?
4) Well if highest avaible almost always works and the game's refresh rate only works with fullscreen then the game's one has no reason to be there unless it matters for non-nvidia graphics cards.
Yes. AMD and Intel GPUs don't have the option in the driver. Or you might not have a g-sync monitor, in which case you might not want the highest refresh rate. For example, you want to play at 100Hz instead of 144Hz on a non-gsync monitor. In that case, people don't use the "highest available" setting. Instead they select 100Hz in-game.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 05 Sep 2018, 04:41

1) Did you mean game's Hz instead of highest available? Cause I said if highest doesn't work.
3.1) Uh, Hz or fps? Actually I have limited fps to 139 because this game is broken, frame goes 2 fps above the limit.
3.2) Which browser works with that website? Edge and IE say 71.9, steam browser 60. If you're wondering why I still didn't install firefox or chrome because I only use this PC for gaming.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Sep 2018, 04:54

Abiak wrote:1) Did you mean game's Hz instead of highest available? Cause I said if highest doesn't work.
It doesn't matter. If the game is buggy, you don't know what will happen. There are no rules.
3.1) Uh, Hz or fps? Actually I have limited fps to 139 because this game is broken, frame goes 2 fps above the limit.
Sorry, that was a typo. I mean 144Hz and 143Hz. I now corrected my previous post.
3.2) Which browser works with that website? Edge and IE say 71.9, steam browser 60. If you're wondering why I still didn't install firefox or chrome because I only use this PC for gaming.
Chrome should work. Firefox too, I think. Edge has issues.

I also use my Windows 10 install for gaming only. I use Chrome. I don't see why you can't install Chrome on a gaming PC.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 05 Sep 2018, 05:11

1) Ok but any particular reason why you didn't mention game's Hz or you just forgot about it?
3.1) I can use both, I'll use 144Hz, but I guess doesn't matter because if fps are limited to 139(141) they won't reach 143-144 fps so there should be no problems.
3.2) Well they run background services but doesn't matter anymore at this point.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Sep 2018, 05:16

Abiak wrote:1) Ok but any particular reason why you didn't mention game's Hz or you just forgot about it?
I don't understand. If you select 144Hz in the game's settings, and it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. The game is buggy.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 05 Sep 2018, 05:29

1) Ok so there are no rules if highest avaible doesn't work it can use game's Hz, desktop's Hz or 60 Hz. Instead if I use application-controlled, has game's Hz priority over desktop's Hz?
2) I noticed a ping increase in CSGO, are we 100% sure that gsync "fullscreen and windowed" and "+fps_max 141" in the steam launch options are not related with it?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Sep 2018, 05:34

Abiak wrote:1) Ok so there are no rules if highest avaible doesn't work it can use game's Hz, desktop's Hz or 60 Hz. Instead if I use application-controlled, has game's Hz priority over desktop's Hz?
If game's Hz works, then it's rather unlikely that "highest available" doesn't work. Have you ever seen a game like that?

If game's Hz works, then desktop Hz doesn't matter. The game will use the game's Hz, because that's what you've set, unless you're using "highest available" in the nvidia panel, in which case it will override the game's Hz.

If game's Hz doesn't work, and "highest available" doesn't work, then what you end up with is anybody's guess. Who knows.
2) I noticed a ping increase in CSGO, are we 100% that gsync "fullscreen and windowed" and "+fps_max 141" in the steam launch options are not related with it?
G-Sync has nothing to do with ping. It can't affect your network.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 05 Sep 2018, 06:03

2) Well these 2 were the only 2 changes I've made since I've started this thread, what about +fps_max 141 in the steam launch options? That is the only option that works, I tried to follow many guides with the autoexec.cfg file but they don't work and in each guide there are written different things...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Sep 2018, 06:12

I'm not aware of fps_max affecting your ping. You can type "fpx_max 300" in-game (300 is the default) to see if it lowers your ping. But that would be weird.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 12 Sep 2018, 05:13

If a game has 120 fps limit max, should I use it or rivatuner 141 fps?