G-SYNC monitor and high-end PC

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
pandaym

G-SYNC monitor and high-end PC

Post by pandaym » 26 Sep 2018, 08:33

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how I will get the best experience playing different games, with different requirements with the setup I have. I am really confused on how to set up everything. Some games I can run at like 1000FPS(CS:GO), some easily at 300+(Rocket League) and some I run around 130-150(PUBG, BF1 etc).

I play fairly competitive. Especially in PUBG where we play tournaments etc. So I like to have a nice graphical experience, that does not give me much disadvantage in terms of input lag(and other terms I am not very informed about :) )

So I am not really sure if I should use G-sync or not, and how else I should set up my stuff.

My specs:
ASUS ROG Z370-F Gaming
Intel i7-8700K @ 4.8 GHz
16GB G-Skill DDR4-3600
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Trio
Rest of setup should be irrelevant but I am running 1000W PSU, M.2. SSD etc - so shouldn’t be bottlenecks.

Monitor: ASUS PG279Q 1440p / 144 hz

Can anyone help me out? :-)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC monitor and high-end PC

Post by RealNC » 26 Sep 2018, 08:50

G-Sync is there to make games look better. However, if your FPS reaches your monitor's maximum refresh rate, then g-sync will add lag. To avoid that, you need to use the game's FPS limiter to cap your frame rate to 3FPS below the max refresh rate.

We have a really good series of articles about g-sync and how to configure your system properly. It's a bit long (14 parts), but it's also interesting and I recommend at least reading about the frame limiters and the input lag tests:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101

However, if you play a game where you can reach an extremely high frame rate (like 300 or 400FPS or even higher), like CS:GO on a very powerful PC, then you might want to disable g-sync and play without vsync. Where g-sync really helps is more in games like PUBG, where you get like 140FPS now, and then 2 seconds later you look around and get like 80FPS, then it runs at 100FPS, then at 110, then at 90... It just isn't possible to max out the FPS and have it either locked at the max refresh rate, or reach ultra high FPS like 300. This is where you can use g-sync to make these kinds of games look better.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.