Problem with monitor ASUS PG258Q and G-sync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Kaggewas

Problem with monitor ASUS PG258Q and G-sync

Post by Kaggewas » 04 Oct 2018, 11:52

Hello everyone, my name is Artem, I am from Russla, I really liked your site, I recently bought an ASUS PG258Q monitor and I have a couple of questions about it.

You ask me why I bought this monitor because I play shooters, smoothness in the game and everything is very important for me, I used to play on the monitor 240hz without G-SYNC, FPS kept at 180, but in place where a lot of text drawdowns were up to 130, and so to say my game was not quite smooth, and I was told the whole solution - G-SYNC

So, when I bought a monitor and turned on G-SYNC, I didn’t see much of a difference, for example, in Battlefield 1 in the mashive scenes I also lost the game and it was impossible to control the sense of the mouse, I don’t know, maybe incorrectly configured.

P.S with the purchase of a new monitor, I noticed that sometimes my screen flickers at some points, and as if my screen refresh rate drops from 240 to 60

PSS Translated using an interpreter, sorry :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Problem with monitor ASUS PG258Q and G-sync

Post by RealNC » 05 Oct 2018, 04:05

G-Sync can not fix performance issues in games. What it does it prevent microstutter because of FPS/Hz mismatch and prevent tearing. If you get lag spikes in games and sudden drops from 200FPS to 100FPS, g-sync can't do anything about that.

However, what g-sync can do is allow for consistency. In Battlefield for example, cap your FPS to 100 (or whatever FPS it runs at at 90% of the time.) That should give you more consistent input lag and make it easier to aim.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kaggewas

Post by Kaggewas » 09 Oct 2018, 09:25

I also noticed that when G-SYNC is enabled on the monitor:
1. During the game, the monitor sometimes flicker
During the game, the frequency seems to change, it feels like the speed of movement of the mouse, that is, it goes very smoothly, and as if drops to 60 hz

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Oct 2018, 10:20

Kaggewas wrote:1. During the game, the monitor sometimes flicker
I've heard many people have this problem. It seems to be an issue with TN monitors. I don't think there is a fix for it. I don't have this problem, but I use an IPS monitor. It seems it's only a problem with TN monitors.
During the game, the frequency seems to change, it feels like the speed of movement of the mouse, that is, it goes very smoothly, and as if drops to 60 hz
If your FPS drops to 60, then yes, you will get 60Hz. G-Sync can NOT make 60FPS look like 180FPS. 60FPS is still 60FPS :) You get more input lag at 60FPS than on 180FPS. To make this better, go to the nvidia control panel, and in the "3D Settings" set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1". This will improve input lag when your FPS is low.

Also, you can cap your FPS near the average FPS you get in each game. That's what I do. With G-Sync, you can cap your FPS to whatever you want. For example, in Doom 4, I get about 100-140FPS. So I use a cap of 120FPS. In Witcher 3, I get 80-110FPS, and I cap to 90FPS. In CS:GO I always get over 180FPS, so I cap to 161FPS to stay in the G-Sync range on my 165Hz monitor. In Overwatch I get 120-150FPS, so I cap to 140FPS.

If you do that, then the game feels better because there will not be huge FPS differences as you play. It feels better when the game runs between 80-100FPS for example compared to 80-180FPS.

You should use the game's FPS limiter if possible. If the game does not have an FPS limiter, you should use RTSS to cap your FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.