144hz changing to 60hz on test with capture card

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Cruncher

144hz changing to 60hz on test with capture card

Post by Cruncher » 17 Oct 2018, 17:15

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some help on this as I'm concerned my capture card is lowering my monitors refresh rate. I use a 144hz monitor for gaming mirrored to an elgato capture card to my streaming rig. My issue is when I run the UFO test it comes back as 60hz, however, as soon as I unplug the elgato card the test comes back at 144hz. Everything in my monitor setup: display settings, nvidia control panel etc.. is saying its 144hz even with the card plugged in, the only exception is this test. My question is this simply a bug due to mirroring of the displays or is my monitor actually scaling back to 60hz when my capture card is in use?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 144hz changing to 60hz on test with capture card

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2018, 11:17

Cruncher wrote:My question is this simply a bug due to mirroring of the displays or is my monitor actually scaling back to 60hz when my capture card is in use?
It's probably an automatic framerate cap generated by your capture card.

There are many workflow methodologies for capturing frames, and one of them is simply to cap to 60fps in order to capture. Some capture workflows can be adjusted to not interfere with your game's framerate as much. I'm not sure what applies to your specific capture card, but perhaps other users of your card can help.

Note: TestUFO uses heuristics to try to detect the refresh rate, and sometimes it incorrectly detects a framerate cap as a refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!