Most suited 1440p 120hrs monitor for Xbox One X

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
pleasure_master

Most suited 1440p 120hrs monitor for Xbox One X

Post by pleasure_master » 14 Sep 2018, 00:54

So is the samsung c27hg70 the most suited?

I don't really care for HDR and 4K monitors with a high refresh rate are too exy so, is the Samsung the best option?

2K, 120(144)hz, Freesync2, HDR :| Samsung/xbox partnership

Seems this monitor has a lot going for it, is there better or should I wait?

Appreciate all constructive replies.

pleasure_master

Re: Most suited 1440p 120hrs monitor for Xbox One X

Post by pleasure_master » 18 Oct 2018, 23:22

Please don't all chime in at once...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Oct 2018, 23:57

Sorry. The thread got old and thus nobody noticed it went unanswered :P

As far XBox X goes, the c27hg70 does look nice. Especially if MS decides to support full-range freesync at some point (aka LFC.) You'd be getting freesync from 60FPS down to 1FPS. instead of the usual 48-60 which doesn't do much for 30FPS games.

It's an SVA panel, so it shouldn't look worse than a TV.

If I had an XBox, I would definitely consider this one.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2018, 11:50

Currently, the Samsung CHG series are my favorite all-around monitor for XBox One X use. Great colors, has blur reduction, has FreeSync, is 1440p, has 120Hz, so it ticks all the "X" boxes (pun intended on checkboxes)

(Exception: If you're looking for low lag eSports you will have to suffer a few compromises, such as color quality, and get something TN-based.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Oct 2018, 14:11

Chief Blur Buster wrote:(Exception: If you're looking for low lag eSports you will have to suffer a few compromises, such as color quality, and get something TN-based.)
There is no such thing as low lag esports on consoles.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2018, 15:12

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:(Exception: If you're looking for low lag eSports you will have to suffer a few compromises, such as color quality, and get something TN-based.)
There is no such thing as low lag esports on consoles.
I mean relatively speaking.

Not all latencies are the same in all monitors. Even when're categorizing only to consoles.

So let's consider the lag invited by monitors like the BenQ RL2460 Console eSports monitor (and its similar, e.g. RL2455HM, etc) tended to be the benchmark in "low lag" for the category of console gaming monitors.

Yes, it is not as low lag as a high-Hz monitor for PC as shown in many of tests. But in the console world, the territory of latency in such monitors have been considered the gold benchmark standard for consoles (approximately, give or take) == and any monitors laggier than that is typically not considered fit for console eSports. Low lag console gaming monitors are the ones that measure no higher than approximately ~9 to 12ms for screen-centre using the Leo Bodnar lag tester.

That said, there are compromises like having to go TN panel, or giving up FreeSync. Now if you're focussed on the quality of console gaming, then the Samsung VA panels are almost certainly preferable for most people for console gaming.

The Samsung VA monitors are good low-lag-wise for VA panel category (I've seen WAY worse VA), just not as low as TN. They're not as eSports-low as the eSports-targetted console gaming monitors -- even most competitive gamers will not notice unless the top players that play for tournament money. Yes, console eSports exist. And yes, this is why the market exists. But if that's not you, then I tend to prefer the Samsung GHG70 series for the better eyecandy aspect. Right tool for the right job, the lowest-lag monitors often aren't the ones with the best colors/contrast/features.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Oct 2018, 23:58

Gaming VAs seem to be around 4ms measured with SMTT 2.0. Which is more than fast enough for console esports. On console, esports games have a latency over 100ms in general (Battlenonsense did some measurements in the past.)

IMO, deciding which monitor to buy because of a 3ms or 4ms difference on a console makes no sense to me :) 104ms vs 107ms of total latency is really rather irrelevant. For as long as the monitor is in the "gaming latency" ballpark, it's good. On PC, where total latency in esports games can be 20ms, 4ms can be a factor. In 100ms+ console gaming, not so much, even when playing in tournaments.

Not trying to be "that guy" here, but I think that, at least for consoles, these small differences in display latency tend to be snake oil.