PUBG Microstutter

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
pandaym

PUBG Microstutter

Post by pandaym » 28 Oct 2018, 10:05

Hi everyone,

For some reason, I get a ton of microstutter when I play PUBG. Also I am unsure when the stuttering started happening, but it hasn't always been there. I upgraded GPU, GFX driver, Windows Update etc. lately.

My specs are:
ASUS PG279Q @ 1440p - 144 Hz - G-Sync
Corsair RM1000x
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING
Intel i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz (Stable)
NZXT Kraken X62
MSI Ventus OC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 C16 DC - 16GB
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 250GB
All put into a NZXT H700i with plenty of airflow and fans. Temps are also fine.

I feel like I have tried SO many things, to no avail. Like setting RAM timings manually, even underclocking the RAM. I tried most of any fix I have been able to find online.

Any ideas? How can I diagnose where this is coming from?

Full res image: https://i.imgur.com/gsOIBlt.jpg

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: PUBG Microstutter

Post by RealNC » 28 Oct 2018, 11:54

Exclusive fullscreen? G-Sync enabled? Are you limiting your FPS to 141? Is vsync OFF in-game? Have you tried both vsync OFF and ON in the nvidia panel?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

pandaym

Post by pandaym » 28 Oct 2018, 13:39

RealNC wrote:Exclusive fullscreen? G-Sync enabled? Are you limiting your FPS to 141? Is vsync OFF in-game? Have you tried both vsync OFF and ON in the nvidia panel?
Exclusive fullscreen yes, and I have tried disabling full screen optimization and setting high DPI scaling override to application. G-sync is enabled yes, and it is easy to see when it is, cause it gets so much smoother between the stuttering. Limited to 141, yes, have tried with both RTSS and ingame. V-sync is off in game, and on in NVCP - also tried with it off, it makes the G-sync so much worse(not just bottom tearing it seems), and the stuttering is still there.

pandaym

Post by pandaym » 29 Oct 2018, 13:07

Is it normal that it runs really unsmooth when v-sync in NVCP is disabled, even though G-sync is running? It is a world of difference to v-sync enabled.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Oct 2018, 13:14

Depends on the game. Some games have too much jitter in their frame pacing, which G-Sync can fix when enabling vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vipu

Post by Vipu » 29 Oct 2018, 15:52

What gpu drivers you have? Try some version under 400.00, over 400 is known to work terribly and have stutter issues in many games.
You could try this too, some bug with windows that have helped few of my friends and my few random stutters also seem to be disappeared after I did this: https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... _creators/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Oct 2018, 15:24

G-SYNC should in theory clear any visibility of framepacing jitter since jittery framerates averages out -- testufo.com/vrr#framerate=random

However, if frame pacing is grossly out of sync with frame presentation (presentations don't "jitter in sync" with frame pacing) then GSYNC may be unable to fix that.

GSYNC will not fix stutters when framerates are above refresh rate whenever running in any mode other than VSYNC ON (for treatment of maxed-out framerates at or above Hz)

For the "jittery framerate fix" -- especially for games that often fluctuate above max Hz -- I would highly recommend using GSYNC + VSYNC ON + framerate cap (approx 3fps below). Use an in-game framerate cap where possible, for lowest lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!