Scanline RTSS

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Abiak

Scanline RTSS

Post by Abiak » 31 Oct 2018, 14:15

The new version of RTSS has scanline sync, I wonder if I should use it with gsync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Scanline RTSS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2018, 14:18

Scanline sync is not designed for use with VRR at this time.

The use of scanline sync is best for a "low-lag VSYNC ON" where you got perfect "framerate equals Hz" synchronization without tearing. As a vendor-agnostic equivalent of NVIDIA Fast Sync / AMD Enhanced Sync that does not have microstutters (at full framerates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Oct 2018, 16:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Scanline sync is not designed for use with VRR at this time.
Nor is it needed :-)

Scanline sync is a solution for people who don't have a g-sync display. If you do have g-sync, then it already does what scanline sync provides, but much better.

(So one could say scanline sync is the poor man's g-sync :P)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Dec 2018, 23:49

RealNC, let's be thorough here ;)

Scanline sync can still be useful for users who already has VRR
--> when you need to run games not compatible with FreeSync/G-SYNC
--> when you need to use motion blur reduction (e.g. ULMB).

Motion fluidity of ULMB (and other motion blur reduction backlights) benefits from VSYNC ON -- so some of us want to gain a reduced-lag VSYNC ON mode for better-looking ULMB without as much lag penalty.

There are a few other use cases for Right Tool For Right Job. But it's indeed true that if you can play with VRR with an in-game framerate cap, it is usually superior to scanline sync especially if your framerates are always running well below VRR max rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 17 Dec 2018, 16:35

winver 1607, wddm 2.1, nvidia 388.59, vsync off
https://youtu.be/-NQVSM1H1Ns
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2018, 16:53

That tearline jumps too much for scanline sync to be useful. Try SyncFlush=1 in the config file.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 17 Dec 2018, 17:33

Sorry for not writing in English. I have no problems and I am not looking for help. I wanted to tell you that in some cases, scanline sync helpful for vrr display. Your offer does not work for me ( https://youtu.be/XK2q0RCENb8 ).
My version may help this guy viewtopic.php?t=3436#p26762 .
(It is particularly noticeable in Battlefield 1 and to a lesser extent in Witcher 3 (both using in-game capping). It seems to be mostly the case however when there is a lot going on or many assets being loaded in quickly. For example, when walking around in Witcher 3, I can't see any tearing at all, but when sprinting I do see some minor tearing now and again in the bottom of the screen (although you can only notice it when you really focus). When sprinting and looking at the sky, I can't see any tearing either, consistent with there being fewer assets.)
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 06 Oct 2019, 11:54

A lot of time passed and I returned to this topic.I still did not understand why using ss + gsync is not recommended.
Scenario. Fortnite cpu / gpu fixed clock, gpu ~ 30% usage. Several modes of synchronization.~ 900 frames.

the big picture. https://imgur.com/YwMoROU

separately 2 methods https://imgur.com/804twyZ