Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ASUSTECHMKT

Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 04 Mar 2014, 17:20

Hello all in the Blur Busters community! :D

My name is JJ. Some of you may know me depending on what communities you frequent or you may have seen me in some videos for ASUS products. I work for ASUS and represent their OPBG (component division) which includes monitors. Currently one of my roles is enthusiast marketing along with product design and development assistance. These roles go hand in hand as we believe to produce the best products possible we should listen and be conscious of our users and the community wants and needs. That being noted some things may not always be practical or possible but feedback is always valuable. I look forward to being part of the Blur Busters community and providing information as well as collecting it and equally as important providing clarification and insight to the design and development process.

ASUS has had great success in its display division and for 2014 we are hoping to have our best year yet. We hope to achieve this by providing more information and engaging in the community and ensuring there is information and understanding when it comes to products. In addition we will be releasing some really exciting products that those of your excited about higher performance displays I expect will be very excited about.

Due to my day in and day out responsibilities, I will not be present on the forum on a daily basis but hope to stop in at least one or twice a week. If you have questions or feedback feel free to send it my way. While I cannot guarantee we will implement the feedback for reasons already noted above along with many others, I can tell you I and the ASUS display team will do our best to collect, discuss and consider this feedback whether it be small, large or niche oriented.

I look forward to getting to you know in the community!

As always thank you for your feedback and please enjoy the rest of your day!

TheRulesLawyer

Re: Hello from ASUS

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 04 Mar 2014, 17:56

Always nice to have the ear of someone who is in the position to make some changes.

One thing that I'd love to see personally is a 4k display @ 60hz min (ideally 120hz+) , but with a 1080p strobed mode @ 60-144hz. No interpolation on pixels, just pixel doubling. That would give me a awesome crisp display for the desktop and a resolution that's reasonable to push for gaming. I know you have the ROG SWIFT PG278Q coming out sometime, but that's a lot of resolution to push at strobing frame rates in modern games. Might end up that GPUs catch up before 4k displays really get there though.

TomB

Post by TomB » 04 Mar 2014, 17:57

Awesome! I'm very interested in the ROG Swift, however I must say I'm disappointed that it only has a displayport conneciton, I understand this is needed for G-Sync but it makes multi-monitor setups with this monitor a lot more difficult than it need be. Presumably you'd need to Tri-SLI 3 gpus to run 3 of these monitors? Unfortunately, that's a big downside, I'd rather have a DVI connection and lose G-sync than require a GPU for each monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 18:12

ASUS,

Welcome to Blur Busters Forums!

Everyone, as Chief Blur Buster, I have confirmed that this rep has registered as an official ASUS rep.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

boniek

Re: Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Post by boniek » 04 Mar 2014, 18:45

I would love to hear if you are aware of AMD's GSYNC alternative and are planning on shipping some products around that. Any idea when first DisplayPort 1.3 monitors will be available? What about 120Hz IPS/PLS/VA monitors?
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Haste

Post by Haste » 04 Mar 2014, 19:23

Welcome to the forum!

Haste here,

CRT user waiting for the right monitor to move on.

Question #1: ROG Swift: ULMB @ 144Hz: possible? Or is ULMB limited to 120Hz max?

Feedback: 2560x1440 is nice but the horsepower needed to achieve decent frame rates at that resolution in demanding games is ridiculous.
I'm about to build an i7 4770k + gtx780ti water cooled setup and I don't think it would cut it. Heck, even if I were to blow my initial budget an add a second 780ti in SLI, it would still be pretty tight.

This leads me to ask...

Question #2: Any chance for a 1920x1080 variant of the Swift?

Thank you.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 20:55

Haste wrote:Question #1: ROG Swift: ULMB @ 144Hz: possible? Or is ULMB limited to 120Hz max?
From what I know, I am betting it's 120Hz or less. The reason is that 144Hz would have too much strobe crosstalk when combined with a strobe backlight. 120Hz leave enough bandwidth headroom for larger blanking intervals to allow the LCD to finish refreshing between refreshes, necessary for an essentially practically fully refreshed LCD panel state for strobing a backlight through for motion blur elimination. 144Hz typically uses reduced blanking intervals. To do nearly crosstalk-free 144Hz strobing, you'd need a monitor capable of very clean ~180Hz+ non-strobed refresh rate.
Haste wrote:2560x1440 is nice but the horsepower needed to achieve decent frame rates at that resolution in demanding games is ridiculous.
I have told NVIDIA that ULMB should ideally be able to be enabled at even more refresh rates if possible (including as low as 60Hz). Hopefully the ROG has more ULMB refresh rates available than the VG248QE G-SYNC upgrade. Given the same persistence, 75fps@75Hz would have the same amount of motion blur as 120fps@120Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ASUSTECHMKT

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 04 Mar 2014, 21:49

TheRulesLawyer wrote:Always nice to have the ear of someone who is in the position to make some changes.

One thing that I'd love to see personally is a 4k display @ 60hz min (ideally 120hz+) , but with a 1080p strobed mode @ 60-144hz. No interpolation on pixels, just pixel doubling. That would give me a awesome crisp display for the desktop and a resolution that's reasonable to push for gaming. I know you have the ROG SWIFT PG278Q coming out sometime, but that's a lot of resolution to push at strobing frame rates in modern games. Might end up that GPUs catch up before 4k displays really get there though.
As you may know we will be releasing our new entry 4K monitor soon ( the PB287Q ) which is based of a new panel offering native 60Hz refresh rate operation. For non native resolutions though it will be limited to the same 60Hz we are currently looking at the possibility of making tweaks to the implementation to allow for more flexibility as we see this monitor crossing a number of spaces including PC gamers. In that respect the functionality you have request is something we would hope to offer. As of right now though there are number of implementation considerations and timing concerns we have to consider as well. As such currently this type of performance and functionality would not be present.

In regards to performance it really comes down to IQ depending on the IQ settings you are looking to have in game it can take a game from being low to moderate in FPS to considerably higher in FPS. This is one of the huge benefits of the PC but at the same time one of its biggest hurdles at enabling a more seamless solution for users looking for the best experience. With that noted NVIDIA is doing good work at streamlining the process for many gamers via GeForce Experience.

ASUSTECHMKT

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 04 Mar 2014, 21:51

TomB wrote:Awesome! I'm very interested in the ROG Swift, however I must say I'm disappointed that it only has a displayport conneciton, I understand this is needed for G-Sync but it makes multi-monitor setups with this monitor a lot more difficult than it need be. Presumably you'd need to Tri-SLI 3 gpus to run 3 of these monitors? Unfortunately, that's a big downside, I'd rather have a DVI connection and lose G-sync than require a GPU for each monitor.
Yes we understand and agree the limitation on just a DP implementation makes things difficult but this is the reality of innovation at times. Once further refinement and development comes to the G-SYNC module and its current FPGA design implementation we should see much more flexibility in future G-SYNC products include multiple inputs as well as more flexibility for color calibration and much more.

ASUSTECHMKT

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 04 Mar 2014, 21:54

boniek wrote:I would love to hear if you are aware of AMD's GSYNC alternative and are planning on shipping some products around that. Any idea when first DisplayPort 1.3 monitors will be available? What about 120Hz IPS/PLS/VA monitors?
We are currently researching FreeSync more closely. As it requires DP 1.3 as well as a other design implementation requirements that are a bit variable we currently have it under evaluation. As of right now though our focus is on G-SYNC due to is proven functionality and implementation.

As for higher refresh non TN monitors we are looking into options but there are multiple aspects to consider the yield of panels that can consistently reach certain performance metrics as well as total design consideration ( whether than be input lag response, general panel response time or refresh rate ). There are also a large number of newer panel types coming to the market and currently we are investigating many of them looking to see what options we can implement and refine and improve to meet the wants and needs of our users. In this respect we prefer to no focus on a single panel type but more so look at all solutions and we what is available. In this respect also there will continue to be some perceptions that are broken such as seeing higher quality TN which are 8 bit or 10bit and offer considerably improved viewing angles or IPS like panels offer the same color accuracy and saturation. Stay tuned 2014 will be an exciting year for displays.