I can not decide on one monitor, Gsync or not

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Redandblack24

I can not decide on one monitor, Gsync or not

Post by Redandblack24 » 13 Nov 2018, 10:39

So currently I have the alienware 3440x1440p overclocked to 120hz with gsync and I have a 240hz Alienware with freesync. I love the 3440x1440p as it looks amazing but I stream a lot of games and the widescreen isn't great for streaming as it leaves black bars and I really like going above 120hz refresh since I mainly play shooters like bf5/Fortnite/COD etc... So I have been playing a lot on my 1080p 240hz freesync but in games like COD and bf5 my fps is all over the place from 90 to 160 and it just feels so clunky with little freezes and noticeable fps dips. My question is would the Gsync version of a 240hz monitor solve these issues or would it still hitch with fps drops and stuff like that? I am thinking of selling both monitors and going for a 1440p with 165hz IPS or going with another 240hz with gsync if it would solve the noticeable fps dips and how they feel. I love the clarity of higher resolution and the graphic fidelity but ultimately I am very sensitive to lower hz and choppiness bothers me so much all I end up doing is playign in the video section changing a million things to try and get it to be smooth. So please offer me some advice lol.

open

Re: I can not decide on one monitor, Gsync or not

Post by open » 13 Nov 2018, 11:54

Heres my 2 cents. Yes a gsync 240hz would be smoother than a non gsync 240hz. It will not take away the frame dips but it WILL help them feel a little less dramatic. Have you tried turning off vsync with 240hz? That may be better than vsync on and the tears would be hard to notice at 240hz.

But I usually take into account everything when recommending a buy. And as for 240hz we may be seeing the new 0.5ms screens within a year so. If you got one of those with gsync you would get 2 upgrades at once.

Redandblack24

Post by Redandblack24 » 13 Nov 2018, 12:12

I have vsync off when I am on the 240hz, I just wonder if it's worth it to buy the gsync version of the 240hz or not.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Nov 2018, 23:22

It's worth it to me, but I can't know if it's worth it to you.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Redandblack24

Post by Redandblack24 » 14 Nov 2018, 08:45

I guess ultimately I love the resolution of the ultra wide but I love the higher refresh rate a little more. So maybe I should go with a 1440 165hz IPS panel and meet in the middle. The 1080p 240hz is smooth when I can get near that fps but the problem is the games I play I can't get even close to that.

open

Post by open » 14 Nov 2018, 16:12

It depends on what you like. The gap between ips and tn is closing. In terms of response time and color quality both are improving (unless you like wide viewing angles then ips is king). But the 0.5ms tn pannels should widen that gap again in favor of great response times on 240hz tn. Thats why I say maybe you want to wait.

But based on your posts it seems like you want a gsync and you want it now. And even though you play competitive games it seems you do favor a balance between responsiveness and resolution and color quality hence u are leaning toward the 165hz 1440 gsync ips. My only other input would be check out some reviews of what you are looking for. This website has a list of high refresh monitors and if you throw out a model number in the forum you may find input from others here. I like tftcentral for detailed measurements but they only test a monitor or two a month so they may not have a review for the one you are looking at.

I can tell you that I have a pg258q and I like it alot for both high fps competitive games and lower fps more relaxed games. It is a 1080 240hz gsync. But like I said it will soon be outclassed and thats alot of money for something that has maybe a year left at the top.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Nov 2018, 14:03

It's a personal preference -- enjoyability, lag, etc.

GSYNC will definitely smooth the hitching to a large extent.

Many competitive players seem to be leaving VRR on, but not all of them. Some leave VRR on during competitive gameplay, which works really well if you do (1) Games that rarely hits VRR max (e.g. stays under 240fps) and (2) Games that fluctuate quite a bit to the point where the hitching/stuttering interferes with your aiming.

VRR isn't often used by exclusively-CS:GO players since CS:GO wants to run at 300fps+ much of the time -- defeating the purpose of VRR since 300fps is currently above 240Hz monitors' VRR range.

However, the very high VRR max (240fps) means darn nearly zero latency penalty, and many games running below 240fps -- means many competitive games like Overwatch and PUBG plays beautifully and predictably for many competitive players. Fluctuating framerates are thusly nicely absorbed, so they don't distract you or wreck your aiming as much.

It's all in the right tool for the right game.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 18 Nov 2018, 12:37

Also many gsync monitors will have less input lag than thier non gsync counterparts. I saw a recent review where the freesync version of a monitor had significantly more than the gsync. I think 9ms difference.