Only g-sync or with v-sync?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
grizmo2

Only g-sync or with v-sync?

Post by grizmo2 » 17 Nov 2018, 09:50

Hello, I have 165hz refresh rate monitor. Cap 162 in config, most of the time 150-162fps, but sometimes it drops to 130. Its better to keep only g-sync or with nvidia v-sync too?

Sparky

Re: Only g-sync or with v-sync?

Post by Sparky » 17 Nov 2018, 19:06

Leaving v-sync on will prevent tearing when the framerate recovers from a stutter, when the single frame interval is faster than the refresh interval. This will have a small latency penalty, but only for the frames that arrive early and would have resulted in tearing. The median latency shouldn't change at all compared to g-sync with v-sync off.

You're still getting rid of the several frames of buffering that happen with uncapped v-sync.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Nov 2018, 23:13

Currently, I prefer vsync OFF, unless I see tearing.

There's a benefit and a drawback when using or not using vsync with gsync. With vsync ON, you can get hitching if the game freezes for a short moment, but you will never get tearing. With vsync OFF, hitching will be very rare, but there can be some tearing.

So if you don't get any tearing with vsync OFF, then you don't need vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 19 Nov 2018, 09:52

I recommend not to put v-sync on from the global settings because it can make apps lag.

grizmo2

Post by grizmo2 » 25 Nov 2018, 17:30

RealNC wrote:Currently, I prefer vsync OFF, unless I see tearing.

There's a benefit and a drawback when using or not using vsync with gsync. With vsync ON, you can get hitching if the game freezes for a short moment, but you will never get tearing. With vsync OFF, hitching will be very rare, but there can be some tearing.

So if you don't get any tearing with vsync OFF, then you don't need vsync.
its better to have max pre rendered frames set to 1 or 2-4?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Nov 2018, 17:45

grizmo2 wrote:its better to have max pre rendered frames set to 1 or 2-4?
In my experience, 1 is best. Some people say that in some games it might cause lower FPS, but I haven't played a game yet where that happens. I always use 1 for the lowest input lag possible.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2018, 20:33

1 is best. Most of the time.
For competitive/eSports always keep it minimum!

But, solo/sim/racing/etc, sometimes Max prerendered 2 can be helpful for ULMB if perfect fluidity is more important than lag, for games that have problematic framepacing.

A little prerendering may smooth the framepacing tremendously when smooth fluidity is numero uno, like for solo gameplay, simulators, driving racing games -- in engines that like to stutter too much -- and other use cases where a smidgen of controller lag isn't problematic.

RTSS can also be an alternative method of framepacing via a framerate cap, with much less lag, though can be much more fiddly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 13 Dec 2018, 13:55

I don't know what "hitching" is, can you link a video?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Dec 2018, 14:09

Abiak wrote:I don't know what "hitching" is, can you link a video?
It's momentary stutter. Happens when the game drops to 0FPS, for example after a cutscene or when opening an in-game menu. With vsync ON, there can be stutter that lasts 1 second or so. You can test it in Witcher 3. With g-sync + vsync, opening the in-game map or the inventory produces this stutter that lasts 1 or 2 seconds.