LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
k2viper

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by k2viper » 23 Nov 2018, 08:46

Yes sure, probably its time so I've made a TLDR post, I'll ask Chief to copy it in thread beginning.

Optimal/stable VT 1304 240hz resolution:

It is an overclocked mode, but it is fully safe to use it. It may result in minor display instability: sometimes, depending on how often you open the OSD, display loses sync and goes blackscreen and back on. It may happen once a 2-3 days, may once a 2 weeks. The more you open OSD, the more often these black screens may occur. Easy fix: power cycle the monitor (via joystick button). After the powercycle, the new 2days-2weeks cycle begun. Only happens with high VT like 1300+.

Workaround for frameskipping bug/buffering out of order/stuttering-juddering:
In CRU under extension blocks find a 240hz resolution. By default its Actual Refresh rate is 239,759hz or 239,764hz or may be other number depending on your system, GPU, driver etc. You need to round it and get Actual refresh rate number exactly 239,760. Note that this refreshrate is also stated in user's manual. VT1304 resolution above is already 239,760.
You also may use lower values like 1182-1184 (only 2-4 above default 1180), the point is to get exact 239,760 if it is not exact at defaults.

Service menu: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422 , no useful options found though.

"Optimal" settings: I stick with Gamma mode 4, default contrast and black equalizer, 45 brightness, Fast overdrive, MBR on full-time (yes I love blur reduction and CRT-like look!). Personally I found default colors fine enough, but R-G-B are also tweakable.

ICC profile is installed with display INF: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fi ... iLocE7WGOw
How to enable ICC profile: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/ic ... tm#install

Presets: Gamer 1 and Gamer 2 are the only usable profiles, they are fully adjustable. It's not recommended to use any other presets like FPS/RTS etc.

For minimal input lag make sure you choose "Original" scaling mode under Aspect ratio settings. Default is Full wide, and it is like ~1full frame slower then Original! So if you dont absolutely have to, always choose Original mode!
There is no advertised "Dynamic action sync" option found, but in Original mode this display goes on par with best other 240hz screens with 4,5-5,0ms of total input delay

Freesync and Motion blur reduction dont work together, and I have an Nvidia card, so no Freesync experience to share here.

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 23 Nov 2018, 20:21

Oh man, thanks a LOT for this!!! My display was not even dispatched yet and you just made an incredible TL/DR!!! You're still loving your display? Any major problems?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2018, 20:35

It's fantastic summarization of how to tweak an LG monitor for the best possible motion blur reduction and minimum lag.

I've copied the TL;DR to post #1 of the thread.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 24 Nov 2018, 14:33

Hey K2, can you comment on the coating, viewing angles, BLB, and uniformity? Looking to give monitor a try, as it's super cheap during BF sale.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 25 Nov 2018, 04:46

yehaw wrote:Hey K2, can you comment on the coating, viewing angles, BLB, and uniformity? Looking to give monitor a try, as it's super cheap during BF sale.
Well, coating is "ok", image is not super grainy, it is a bit grainy as it's antiglare 27" with relatively big pixel size, but nothing major to worry about. No major BLB issues at my unit, uniformity is ok. No coil whine issues reported e.g. for Benq XL2740, PSU is external, and even if it'll whine you can hide it away from your face.
Angles are standard for any modern TN, but they are a bit better then e.g. TN of 2011 i previously had (ASUS VG278H), so some progress is made here, not much though.
Overall picture (brightness, contrast, colors, gamma) is good enough for TN gaming monitor, if you dont expect VA deep blacks or IPS viewing angles from a TN.

Price is good and if you can make it a try, try it, overall it's stil a very good model for a given price tag.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 25 Nov 2018, 09:09

k2viper wrote:
yehaw wrote:Hey K2, can you comment on the coating, viewing angles, BLB, and uniformity? Looking to give monitor a try, as it's super cheap during BF sale.
Well, coating is "ok", image is not super grainy, it is a bit grainy as it's antiglare 27" with relatively big pixel size, but nothing major to worry about. No major BLB issues at my unit, uniformity is ok. No coil whine issues reported e.g. for Benq XL2740, PSU is external, and even if it'll whine you can hide it away from your face.
Angles are standard for any modern TN, but they are a bit better then e.g. TN of 2011 i previously had (ASUS VG278H), so some progress is made here, not much though.
Overall picture (brightness, contrast, colors, gamma) is good enough for TN gaming monitor, if you dont expect VA deep blacks or IPS viewing angles from a TN.

Price is good and if you can make it a try, try it, overall it's stil a very good model for a given price tag.
Sounds nice, thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 26 Nov 2018, 16:22

thizito wrote:My findings with this monitor, i had 2720z before and used all tricks here.. also mstar updated my version and much more..

With this lg:
- HDMI dont support vt trick, only displayport
- 240hz no MBR the ghosting is almost 0.. its I N S A N E
- turning MBR on improves clarity but increases ghosting
- somehow using high value in contrast decreases ghosting, and low values in sharpness too(but i wont recommend,there is a reason default is 5 and i always use 10 anyway)
- response time Faster is the same as Fast here, looking into https://testufo.com/crosstalk.. so i think Faster is better, and im using it

lets discuss :)
I bought a 2m displayport cable(1.4v) and will be able to vt trick soon.. my original displayport is too short..
OMG aren't you that guy on adrenaline going crazy about a bunch of anecdotal evidence when discussing mice? Also on OCN..

BTW, thanks for the info. Have you tested freesync?

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 27 Nov 2018, 13:43

thizito wrote:My findings with this monitor, i had 2720z before and used all tricks here.. also mstar updated my version and much more..
Hmm what did mstar? Is there a user-applicable firmware update for this monitor?
thizito wrote:- somehow using high value in contrast decreases ghosting, and low values in sharpness too(but i wont recommend,there is a reason default is 5 and i always use 10 anyway)
- response time Faster is the same as Fast here, looking into https://testufo.com/crosstalk.. so i think Faster is better, and im using it
You consider non-MBR ghosting or mbr mode?
Faster and fast look almost the same, but Faster has more visible black coronas when scrolling text over white, though they really look almost the same in testufo.com/crosstalk

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2018, 16:14

thizito wrote:idk why my NON-MBR is actually better at strobe crosstalk image test.. seems more clarity to me, cause this monitor is fucking perfect..
This is a matter of personal preference, but the crosstalk test is an extreme test that doesn't show up in most real life stuff.

At 240Hz non-blur-reduced, you can't read the street name labels on TestUFO Panning Map Test. Now if you turn on motion blur reduction, you can read the street labels (very crisp) but you will see more crosstalk (sharp ghost images)

If you love blur reduction and hate crosstalk, use a lower refresh rate with blur reduction.
thizito wrote:Faster vs Fast means less input lag or its not related to that? only about overdrive?
It's only about overdrive, so typically doesn't affect lag (except by a fraction of millisecond).

However, it may affect reaction time by behaving as as a motion-highlighter mode for some people -- the artifacts (coronas) can be used to more easily notice movement on the screen, which may help assist certain games much like black-level boost features and crosshairs features. Some monitors have a super-aggressive overdrive setting that causes thing to "glow" when they move about, and I've heard some players take advantage of ultra-overaggressive overdrive setting as a motion highlighter feature (when something moves, it glows). But it can be very distracting, especially during turning, so it may not help you.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 28 Nov 2018, 12:04

Well, crosstalk is a downside of strobing, it is supposed that if you have strobing off, there will be no crosstalk.
Strobing eliminates motion blur, but does not eliminate other LCD downsides and also create new ones like crosstalk mentioned.
Just use non-strobed mode if you like it more then MBR mode. I, conversely, always use strobing on.